Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Sloshing sound when cornering or driving on hills

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:16 PM
mjb2503 is on a distinguished road
Sloshing sound when cornering or driving on hills

I've just started to notice that when I corner or drive up or down hill, particularly just after start up, there's a fairly loud sloshing sound, like a lot of liquid shifting around. Am I being dumb and it's just gas in the tank, or could it be something else?! I hadn't noticed it until late and want to make sure it's not anything more serious!

Old 10-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mjb2503
I've just started to notice that when I corner or drive up or down hill, particularly just after start up, there's a fairly loud sloshing sound, like a lot of liquid shifting around. Am I being dumb and it's just gas in the tank, or could it be something else?! I hadn't noticed it until late and want to make sure it's not anything more serious!
Where do you hear the sound? Cayennes can collect water in a few undesirable places. The most common ones are in the rear of the vehicle. One is inside the rear spoiler above the back window. The other is inside the spare tire/subwoofer compartment under the rear floor.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:57 PM
That doesn't sound good! It's definitely coming from the back, sounds lower rather than higher too. What's the best way to access the two areas to be sure? Any thoughts on how to empty the two areas if they're the issue?

Old 10-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Loutorious is on a distinguished road
If the rear areas mentioned are dry, you may want to check the rocker areas (no sure the correct term, the length of metal frame under doors). I unplugged 2 rubber plugs on driver side and about 1 - 2 gallons of water poured out. Mine was bad even the carpet was wet. I still have not had a chance to find the cause, but probably drainage problem from the windshield area leading to behind wheelwell liner. That sloshing sound was driving me nuts... every stop and go... every traffic light... and is NYC

Old 10-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I think the sunroof drains can get clogged and cause this problem.

I haven't tried to access the area under the spoiler cover, so I can't help you with this one. For the spare tire area, you should be able to simply lift up the cover in the back and look. I'm not sure how to drain it, but if it is full that will give you some idea of where to start looking to find the problem.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks Dennis, I'll let you know what I find, wish me luck!

Old 10-29-2011, 11:44 AM
It was the drains at the side of the engine bay. Took my local Porsche dealer about 30 minutes to fix the issue and they waved the charge for the second time in 6 weeks, such good service!

Old 10-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Nice!