Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Where/how does this DVD mount?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:17 AM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
Where/how does this DVD mount?

I stumbled across this DVD player on ebay. Does anyone know how it mounts and whether or not it can display on the nav screen? Anyone have a pic of one installed? Is it OEM? It looks OEM but I can picture it installed. I'm assuming it installs on/in the center console somehow but I don't see how. I may pick it up if it will display on my nav screen but I don't want screens in the back. It matches my interior color too...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...:WNAFP:US:1123

Old 11-26-2011, 01:39 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
It mounts on the armrest, and it's for rear-seat screens only. I am a big believer in minimizing driver distractions - and since it's against the law to have a DVD (or any movie player) that works over about 2MPH visible to the driver in the US.. I guess Porsche decided to abide by the law.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:34 AM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Don. And yes, I agree with you regarding driver distractions - I certainly don't intend on watching Top Gear while under way. That said, I'd still like to have the ability to display video on the nav screen (again, not while I'm driving) and I like the idea of an integrated OEM solution. I'm guessing it wouldn't take much to get this to display up front but getting the 2mph limiter hooked up with it may be an issue. While I trust myself not to watch it while driving, I let my kids take my Cayenne sometimes and while I trust them as well, I'd prefer the temptation to be non-existent.

I still can't picture how it mounts inside the car though. Does it replace part of the console or...? Haven't been able to google a pic installed...

Old 11-27-2011, 11:25 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
I saw photos of it last night on some Porsche parts website.. it mounts facing the rear seat over the console (perhaps attached so it pivots up with the cubbyhole lid/armrest.) Seems like pretty much a kludge since there will be exposed wiring. The two monitors go on the back of the front seats, they may replace the standard headrests.

As far as getting it on the PCM monitor.. dunno what the GTS has, but for an '06 it's not trivial to do.. you need a video input, and that means either hacking into the PCM and adding the video input board that's sold on Ebay (about $90 from the UK) or adding something to the MOST fiber loop (not cheap..) Since this device has no MOST connections that I can see - plug and play it ain't.

Best,