Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Headliner removal pointers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:58 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Headliner removal pointers

I repaired my headliner earlier but it appears to be separating in the back again. This time planning to remove and redo right.
Wonder if anyone has any diy or pointers on the removal, to make sure I dont break any small plastic mounts and cause a headache. Really appreciate it.
Its for 2005 CTT

Last edited by ciaka; 02-16-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:49 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
What model of Cayenne do you own?

Old 02-16-2017, 06:17 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
2005 ctt

Old 02-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
When you get to the clips that hold the headliner to the sunroof opening frame just stick a flathead in there on top of the clip in between it and the frame and give it a little twist and that clip will pop right off. There are a bunch. Otherwise if you are fighting to remove these just stop because your doing it wrong. The rest is pretty straightforward. Use the instructions in the FSM. At the top of the four door openings there are plastic clip things holding the headliner to the roof frame. You cant see them because the headliner goes into a groove in the rubber and you cant pry far enough to see them. To release, push up on the headliner at the top of the door openings and IN at the same time. they are like little hooks that hold the headliner up here. If you break these you will not be able to fix them or get new ones and your headliner will not stay up @ the door openings.

I did my headliner a while back and while it turned out really good if you are doing Alcantara it's something I would think twice about. My best advice would be to procure the fabric, the foam, the glue, and remove and prep the shell, then take it all to a professional that you are SURE can do it and walk away. This still leaves you with visors, a sunroof panel, and a,b,c pillars that will possibly be dingy compared.

If you say you have some idea on how to fix what you have and your not going to do all that the I say its not possible to have a fix that is astheticly pleasing and functional without a complete redo.

I ended up doing my a,b,c pillars as well and cleaning the visors. The sunroof itself was good and got a light cleaning. What sucks is that the B pillars usually look the worst and get so much dirt on them and the fabric gets all ragged out but this pillar is hard to do because you must first dissasemble the vent and seat belt trim. Then the Alcantara fabric has a seam in it that must be sewn. I made patterns from my old Fabric.

I also covered my vents in carbon look vinyl....that gooey black mess had to go!

Old 04-19-2017, 11:06 PM
That looks great.
I did fix mine a little while ago too.
The back of the headliner was sagging (the entire concave area above rear seats).
Had 2 tries. First time used the 3M 90 headliner spray, but only did a small spot. After about 6 months, it sagged again.
Next time, I removed the rear side light, the proximity sensor, the middle headliner piece, as well as loosening rear pillars so that most of the rear edge of headliner was exposed.

I separated the headliner from the backing.
Took vacuum with extension and a small round brush, and while holding fabric at back edge, used vac to brush out the orange old foam from both the fabric and the backing. Took time to do but doable no problems.
Made sure there was no residue or any bumps on the fabric or the backing.
Using the 3M 90 spray, I sprayed the backing generously from rear of car, covering the furthest from back half of the headliner (from near the sunroof, to start of the concave part. Ensured to spray all nooks and crannies to be covered with the spray.
Then used the spray to sparingly coat the fabric, spraying from far away.

Now, here is the trick. Do the spraying rather quickly on both parts (backing and fabric). Then WAIT for at least 5 minutes, testing with finger to see when the spray becomes sticky and not wet.
When the spray becomes sticky and not wet, I took a large soft thick pillow, and working from near sunroof inside the car, pressed the fabric onto the backing. Made sure all small spaces were touched.
Repeated again to cover the other half of the exposed area, waiting until both pieces are sticky, then using pillow to press onto the backing. Doing this allowed the fabric to be put back exactly as it looked before. No holes, no wrinkles, perfect. The pillow and the waiting were the trick. There was no spillage of glue through the fabric (you have to make a judgment call on how much to spray onto the fabric, but as long as not too much, it works perfect).
After, sprayed small amount onto a cap, used a plastic knife to cover the small edges left unglued. This fixed the edges. Vacuumed any left over mess and all done. Hope this helps whoever is looking at similar issue.

Thank you for your help as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.