Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Tire public service announcement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:01 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Tire public service announcement

I ended up with something stuck in my left front tire last Friday. It was flat when I went to leave. Since I have the Bose system, which means no spare, I ended up having to use the tire goop to try sealing it and re-inflating it. Messy but it worked long enough to get across town to the tire store.

They pulled my car in and soon came to get me, never good news right?! Turns out all 4 tires were completely bald on just the inside shoulder. I had them rotated probably 6-8 months ago and they were fine.

So here is the public service part. I check my tires occasionally. I check the pressure occasionally. I check the tread occasionally. I never saw this. And when I say bald, I mean BALD like secondary cord starting to show.

I'm guessing that this happened for a couple reasons but the main culprit is that I have been pretty much constantly driving the beast in the "low" suspension setting. I'm one who also lowered it even more using Durametric so I figure driving in the modified "low" setting is probably kind of like driving it around in "loading" setting in reality.

So, $1,000 later I have a new set of tires and a new inspection to add to my regimen. From now on once in a while I plan on turning the steering full lock to one side to see how the tires are wearing. Oh, and I'm also planning on driving in normal setting a lot more often. I like looking cool as much as the next guy but I don't like spending money on tires more often than needed either!!

Oh, and about two days before this I was out, in an uhmm "undisclosed location", ripping off a few triple digit runs. Scary to think what could have happened with tires that were actually that bad!!!

Old 03-22-2017, 06:15 AM
Ducatista is on a distinguished road
Have the tires road force balanced and a proper alignment done.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:29 PM
richie996 will become famous soon enoughrichie996 will become famous soon enough
What brand tires? I had poor experience with Continental tires, went to Vreidstein and have been much happier with the tread life. I rotate once a year during annual maintenance (only doing about 5k miles/year right now)..

Old 03-30-2017, 10:26 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to the wonderful world of Cayenne ownership! Plan on buying more tires soon!

Old 03-31-2017, 08:07 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by richie996
What brand tires? I had poor experience with Continental tires, went to Vreidstein and have been much happier with the tread life. I rotate once a year during annual maintenance (only doing about 5k miles/year right now)..
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Welcome to the wonderful world of Cayenne ownership! Plan on buying more tires soon!

Yeah I suppose. I actually probably did pretty well with them. They were Blizzaks that I just kept driving on after winter last year. I haven't looked up the mileage but it has to be about 25K miles on them. So from what I've heard about Cayennes eating tires that's likely not bad.

I replaced then with another set since they did pretty well. I'm sorta looking for another set of rims to put summer tires on but I'm frugal and don't want to spend a minimum $2k+ for a set of tires and rims.

We'll see what happens.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:34 PM
RKD in OKC is on a distinguished road
Had a BMW X3 with sport package. The tires lasted 13K. There was even a sticker on the window warning tires wouldn't last over 20K.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:50 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
I never got more than 15k out of a set. Unfortunatly most all the 21's are a low 220 and under treadwear rating but there are several new ones out as high as 400 that aren't Chinese.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:19 AM
The tread across most of the tire still had mileage left on them though. Just the inside shoulder and maybe 1" in toward the center. I wish I had taken pics now but I didn't think about it then.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:30 AM
5hiza is an unknown quantity at this point
From what I understand from my tire guy, Cayennes are notorious for chewing through tires. However, riding on Blizzaks in warmer temperatures is just begging for quicker wear. winter tires use a softer compound of rubber that's great for cold temps, but as soon as it starts to warm up outside you should have them switched out ASAP.

Frugal as you may be...in the long run you'll save money.

I've got a 955t and have both summer and winters on 20's but you can even go down to 18's to save cash on the winters

Old 04-21-2017, 05:51 PM
fortysixandtwo is an unknown quantity at this point
I also primarily drive around at the low height setting and had similar wear to yours on both front tires when I changed them out for "new" wheels that already had tires on them. Again, the fronts started to wear in a similar pattern until I changed my lower control arms. When the arms went in I rotated the tires, and didn't bother with an alignment (just lined the eccentrics back to where they were). The fronts and rear are wearing evenly now. Obviously its an alignment issue causing uneven tire wear, but also check the suspension bushings.
Like you, I now check the tires periodically for proper wear.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by 5hiza
From what I understand from my tire guy, Cayennes are notorious for chewing through tires. However, riding on Blizzaks in warmer temperatures is just begging for quicker wear. winter tires use a softer compound of rubber that's great for cold temps, but as soon as it starts to warm up outside you should have them switched out ASAP.

Frugal as you may be...in the long run you'll save money.

I've got a 955t and have both summer and winters on 20's but you can even go down to 18's to save cash on the winters

I need at least 19" to clear the brakes. I'm looking for a set of rims at a reasonable price. And I got about 25K miles out of them so I don't think they wore out that fast. Although I'll admit they were probably at least a couple thousand miles past prime.

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
I also primarily drive around at the low height setting and had similar wear to yours on both front tires when I changed them out for "new" wheels that already had tires on them. Again, the fronts started to wear in a similar pattern until I changed my lower control arms. When the arms went in I rotated the tires, and didn't bother with an alignment (just lined the eccentrics back to where they were). The fronts and rear are wearing evenly now. Obviously its an alignment issue causing uneven tire wear, but also check the suspension bushings.
Like you, I now check the tires periodically for proper wear.

Mine were all four worn evenly. Could be an alignment problem but I really think it was mainly lowering it and then driving it in the low position. We'll see.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.