Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

DIY Oil Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 06:11 PM
G_A
G_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of light
Bolt and sealing ring MUST be replaced

every time you unscrew them. Also, you should reset service reminder - not possible to do it yourself.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:16 PM
GoldenPEPPA is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by G_A
every time you unscrew them. Also, you should reset service reminder - not possible to do it yourself.

the rubber o-ring comes with the oil fiter. But WHY would you replace the drain plug (bolt)??

Old 04-13-2007, 06:52 AM
G_A
G_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of light
do not know WHY,

But SHOULD be replaced, described in workshop manual.

I mean not rubber ring, i mean sealing copper ring on drain plug.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:01 PM
racer_65 is on a distinguished road
Is there a Haynes type manual for this car yet?

Old 04-13-2007, 09:12 PM
BobbySpeed will become famous soon enoughBobbySpeed will become famous soon enough
.... and the dealer will charge us $200 to reset the reminder thus wondering why we want to do it.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:31 AM
I will have the stealer reset mine next week when she goes in for her 20K.

I'm going to change the oil/fiter again and the cabin filter. The stealer wants $650 which includes oil/filter + cabin filter... so if I do those 2 things, they CAN'T charge me more than $650-$250 (oil) - $100 (cabin filter) so $250ish for my 20K... right? What do you bet they STILL want $500?

ANyone seen a DIY guide for a cabin filter?

Old 04-14-2007, 06:55 AM
BobbySpeed will become famous soon enoughBobbySpeed will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by GoldenPEPPA
I will have the stealer reset mine next week when she goes in for her 20K.

I'm going to change the oil/fiter again and the cabin filter. The stealer wants $650 which includes oil/filter + cabin filter... so if I do those 2 things, they CAN'T charge me more than $650-$250 (oil) - $100 (cabin filter) so $250ish for my 20K... right? What do you bet they STILL want $500?

ANyone seen a DIY guide for a cabin filter?
They STILL want $500 because they ARE stealers- they're teaching us a lesson for knowing how to take care of our own cars!
What about going to an independent Porsche repair shop?

Old 08-29-2007, 07:06 PM
that2bad is on a distinguished road
the v6 was easy... really easy. I bet the tech can do it in <10 minutes up on a rack.
May I ask how did you do it? My dealer is charging me $300 for oil change and I do not want to pay that price.

All I heard from this forum was takign off the plates and thats it.

Pics would be helpful.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh and btw, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking forward to a great time here.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 PM
No one should feel obligated for the "20K service". All that's needed is an oil change. The cabin filter generally stays pretty clean.

Cayenne is actually designed to be fairly low maintenance. The brakes last well over 30K miles.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by that2bad
May I ask how did you do it? My dealer is charging me $300 for oil change and I do not want to pay that price.

All I heard from this forum was takign off the plates and thats it.

Pics would be helpful.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh and btw, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking forward to a great time here.
Cover floor.

Remove REAR plastic belly plate.

Remove drain plug, will shoot onto axle shaft (?) so I rig up a piece of cardboard to deflect the oil into the drain pan and hold it with one hand while I unscrew the drain plug with the other hand.

Use wrench to loosen oil filter housing. Then remove it by hand. You can do it messy, just yank it off... or if you have time, loosen it up enough so that it starts leaking a stream of oil, come back in 20 minutes and the housing can be removed with nary a drop spilled (there's also a drain plug in the tip of the filter housing (silver allen bolt) but when I tried to loosen it the whole housing spins so I just do it my way). You'll still get some oil on the axle shaft (?) and engine mount area, so I just wipe it up nicely before I replace the belly pan.

Filter element snaps out of housing, replace element with it's new rubber o-ring. Make sure it seats correctly and all the way. Then replace housing into engine.

Make sure drain plug is in place.

Refill.

Attached Images    

Last edited by GoldenPEPPA; 08-29-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:50 AM
SoCal955 is on a distinguished road
Nice, simple write up.
Thanks!!

Old 08-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Can someone comment on whether the procedure is similar for the V8?

Old 08-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by racer_65
Can someone comment on whether the procedure is similar for the V8?
Only thing different is you remove the front and middle under body protection, and there are 2 drain plugs.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM
that2bad is on a distinguished road
Cover floor.

Remove REAR plastic belly plate.

Remove drain plug, will shoot onto axle shaft (?) so I rig up a piece of cardboard to deflect the oil into the drain pan and hold it with one hand while I unscrew the drain plug with the other hand.

Use wrench to loosen oil filter housing. Then remove it by hand. You can do it messy, just yank it off... or if you have time, loosen it up enough so that it starts leaking a stream of oil, come back in 20 minutes and the housing can be removed with nary a drop spilled (there's also a drain plug in the tip of the filter housing (silver allen bolt) but when I tried to loosen it the whole housing spins so I just do it my way). You'll still get some oil on the axle shaft (?) and engine mount area, so I just wipe it up nicely before I replace the belly pan.

Filter element snaps out of housing, replace element with it's new rubber o-ring. Make sure it seats correctly and all the way. Then replace housing into engine.

Make sure drain plug is in place.

Refill.
Thank you so much!! Superb write up and I love the pics. I will do this right now.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by that2bad
Thank you so much!! Superb write up and I love the pics. I will do this right now.
you just saved yourself a couple hundred $$... go out to dinner!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change