Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Where can I get a double-din trim kit for an 08 Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:57 PM
SoCal955 is on a distinguished road
That turned out really good!!

Old 10-09-2007, 09:15 PM
brettcp is on a distinguished road
Thanks!

Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 PM
racer_65 is on a distinguished road
Wow...this is gotta be one of the best conversions I've seen. Did you do it all yourself? Why did it take so much time? Was it really difficult, or just the prob with the instructions in Japanese?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Gfunk is on a distinguished road
Was the install straight forward or was anything tricky about it. I have the same pioneer and install kit sitting in my garage, just match the colors on the wire harness and thats it. I only got the bluetooth and Ipod plugins, the install loos great I can't wait to get mine.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Yes, I did it all by myself.. from start to finish, it took about 10-12 solid hours.. I was very careful with every aspect of this install, as I realized I was tearing apart a 5 day old $65k car.. it looked scary for a while with the glovebox and interior panels removed.. but came together well in the end.. did a bit of research first and had a friend translate the japanese instructions, but it turns out they didnt need to be translated.. all the wire colors matched.

A couple of notes:

1 - I took the illumination signal wire from the hazard switch - I believe it was pin 5 or 6 (its grey).

2 - I did the reverse camera, and EVERY thread/reference I found to where the reverse signal wire was wrong (or at least did not apply in my 08), so I ended up just taking it directly from the taillight. I had other wires running back there anyways (for the sat/nav antennas and the backup cam) so it wasn't a huge deal.

3 - the double din area where the Avic goes was a bit tight back there once you push the unit back to be flush, so i just dremeled out some of the plastic "cage" area that the unit sits in to give it some more room.. worked well.

4 - for steering wheel controls, do not go with the PAC parts (only vol control will work). Go with the Soundgate CANPULSE4. Its the only one that has near full steering wheel control, AND it gives you wires for VSS (speed sensor), backup sensor, and 12v switched). $350 but worth it.

I have stock speakers (NON-bose) which sound EXCELLENT with the Avic unit.. far better than the stock Porsche deck sounded. If you have the Bose system, a decent adapter is $500 or so (unless you want to re-wire all of your speakers)..

I'm not satisfied with the bluetooth microphone quality and am looking for a better mic to use..

-Brett

Old 10-11-2007, 06:59 PM
csounds is on a distinguished road
Brett, thanks for the tip on the Soundgate part, as we have been using the PAC swican and swijack on Kenwood DNX7100's that we have been installing for the local Porsche dealer. It really is no fun telling the dealer that only the volume will work, only with the car running.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Vyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by brettcp
Ok, so after about 12 solid hours, the project is complete.. Avic-D3 with the XM w/ traffic nav, sirius, bluetooth, rear view cam modules. I put all of the modules behind the passenger dash (plenty of room back there), then put the sat antennas (for the nav, the xm and the sirius) under the rear trunk spoiler (i took it off, only about 8 bolts and put the antennas in there.. since its just plastic, the signal gets through OK). I put the rear view camera just above the rear lic plate.

That $350 kit from Japan turned out to be well worth it.. the brackets fit just right, the wire harness is great because now I can put it all back to stock within a matter of minutes.. and the trim piece looks like a factory finish piece.
Would love to see more pics of the the rest of the install if you have them. How does the back-up camera look where you mounted it?

Old 01-03-2008, 12:00 AM
sorry its taken me a while to reply to the PM's I've received regarding this.. I've been real busy lately.. I'll try to snap some better pictures of the install within the next couple of days and post them up.. if anybody in the so cal area needs help with a similar install, let me know, i'm happy to help..

Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Here are some additional pics.. The device to the right of the D3 is a Proclip iPhone holder w/ Cayenne mount which is GREAT. The rear-view camera is pretty small.. not really noticeable at a glance and has held up perfectly well with the bad weather we've had in so cal recently. If anybody has any questions just let me know!

Attached Images    
Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 AM
jubu is on a distinguished road
Looks good...great unit from what I've heard...were you able to bypass the speed sensor to be able to use the unit while in motion? Or do you have to wait until you're in park to input a new address, etc. into the NAVI?

Old 01-07-2008, 08:53 AM
WilyB is on a distinguished road
Very impressive! The factory unit is so dated...

Old 01-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by jubu
Looks good...great unit from what I've heard...were you able to bypass the speed sensor to be able to use the unit while in motion? Or do you have to wait until you're in park to input a new address, etc. into the NAVI?
I did the bypass so I can use everything 100% (video, input addresses, etc) while driving.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Vik
Vik has a spectacular aura aboutVik has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by brettcp
I did the bypass so I can use everything 100% (video, input addresses, etc) while driving.
That looks really clean and OEM! Great work!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:52 PM
baseballfanz is on a distinguished road
Great thread. Just picked up a Cayenne for my wife. She want some kind of navigation but not a portable stuck on the windshield type. Look like the route I might take also.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:54 PM
If i were to do it again, i'd probably skip the sirius module.. where i live in so cal, its very "hilly" and the sirius cuts out quite a bit..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where can I get a double-din trim kit for an 08 Cayenne?