Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

The long and winding road...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:15 PM
tex94 is on a distinguished road
beautiful car! and very nice camera work too...

Old 01-10-2012, 06:36 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Love love love your pics
What a sweet ride

Old 01-10-2012, 06:47 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Love love love your pics
What a sweet ride

Old 01-10-2012, 10:35 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
Beautiful Cayenne!

Who is Bob? Love to know him too

Old 01-10-2012, 11:09 PM
finiteyoda is on a distinguished road
Bob (Willis) is one of the well-known detailers in Bay Area, having worked on some pretty amazing exotics over his lifetime. While he did the correction on my cayenne, I spent probably 4 or 5 hours just watching and being educated about the process. Very informative, and really rare to find a detailer so eager to talk about his craft and explain in layman's terms to a complete newbie

I hope to get the pictures up tonight of Bob's work!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Bob has beat me to the punch, by posting his pics first My pics are below, but you can see the clean-up process in detail in his thread here: http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...-car-prep.html

Here was the car prior to detailing, up in Arizona:

A bit of snow...

A bit of mud...

Looks abused, but the masking tape did a great job of protecting the paint

Wheels look scratched up, but it's actually just surface dirt. Gotta get thru all that mud and dust to see the gleaming beauty underneath!

Messy as it was, the Sedona canyons were stunningly beautiful, and just the perfect place to bring an SUV like this. The CTT was totally in its element

Now, after Bob worked his magic These next 4 photos were under the glaring sun, so you can really see how the paint looks under bright sunlight:

Notice how mirror-like the paint has become.

Side hit hard by sunlight glare, but still looking good

Good from front too. Front sill is spotless, and the paint is really reflecting the deep blue sky. You can especially see the metallic flake in the sharp bends, above/below the lower LED light strips.

Side doors are amazing, like looking in a mirror.

Now the car in the shade, you can really see the deepness of the reflection in the paint without all the sun's glare:

Mirror, mirror, on my hood...

It's totally ridiculous how sharp the reflections are...

Really love when the JBM takes on the deep blue of the sky!

Back-side is absolutely mirror-like too. Love how the tinted taillight's just blend into the black bodywork.

Proper "new car" texture to the paint

From this angle, you can really see how smooth and polished everything is.

My favorite shot, so I'll close with this one. Simply stunning!

This is the first "new" car that I've ever had prepped, and it is very amazing the difference. The car looked very new of course when it arrived, but was dusty, and looking a bit dull (you can see my iphone pics in the first post, the car almost appears to have a matte finish). Of course the dealer's detailing people would've done some polishing and waxing, but just not to this level of detail (Bob put in nearly two full days worth of work, including some light interior and engine bay dressing work), and the extra work really shows! This is the way a new car should be.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:16 AM
CTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of light
Amazing shots ! what camera/lens these pics were taken with ?

Old 01-11-2012, 03:53 AM
emag is on a distinguished road
Simply stunning.. Wish I know a detailer like him here.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
You owe me a keyboard .... My drool just shortcircuited the whole thing. I would love to have it picked up in your garage as I want to check out that beauty in person.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:25 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Stunning photos!

I'd love to own a black car, if I can afford to have Bob detail it for me every month! They are just so hard to keep in that condition.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Once again,amazing shots
Thanks so much for taking the time and sharing with us
Your attention to detail is impressive,and an inspiration for a "Hack" like me
Happy trails
PS:my fav spot when i drove out west from Florida(with my 09 CT),was Monument Valley
Navajo territory and one of the grandest sunrises I have ever witnessed

Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Nice pics. i should have ordered the blacked-out rear taillights. Wonder how much it will cost to do it after.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Code=958v6acc

Don't do those film tinting on the lights. Go OEM.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:13 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by steph280
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Code=958v6acc

Don't do those film tinting on the lights. Go OEM.

thanks...ugh. it's like $35 more to buy it vs. if i had ordered it with it. Plus, I need to do the install...I think I'm gonna still do it, plus get the blackened Cayenne S logo. Think it will look sweet on a jet black.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by CTT-QTR
Amazing shots ! what camera/lens these pics were taken with ?
Thanks for the compliments, always striving to improve my camera skills These shots were taken with a Canon 5d (old one, not the mk2), and 3 diff lenses: canon 17-40mm 4L for the wide angle shots, canon 100mm 2.8 macro for the very close up shots, and a canon 50mm 1.8 for the creamy bokeh shots with very narrow depth of field. A lot of people overlook the 50mm, as it doesn't have USM or ISM or zoom nor is it an L lens (and it's only $100, which makes some people think it's not as good) but it's amazing what you can do with a 1.8 aperture! The 50mm perspective can be kinda tight and hard to work with, so I really recommend using it only on a full frame sensor camera (otherwise with a 1.4x crop multiplier it'd be really hard to use). The canon 35mm 1.4L is a much nicer lens to work with but at over 10X the price

Lighting is also crucial. I personally hate photographing cars in bright sunlight, as it makes auto-metering really hard, creates a lot of very bright overexposed sun spots, and there's a lot of glare that washes out the color of the photo. In those cases, a polarizing filter is probably your best hope (I don't even bother, as I got rid of all my filters when I went digital, tho I probably should). Shooting a car out of direct sunlight tends to give much better results, as you can see in the difference between my first 4 post-detail photos above, and the rest.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The long and winding road...