Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Diesel 5K service.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:18 PM
visitador will become famous soon enoughvisitador will become famous soon enough
My local Porsche dealer quoted me $375 for the 5,000 oil changes. They were trying to convince me to purchase the maintenance service plan.

Anyway, it looks like VW dealers may provide a lower cost service. The only issue would be resetting the service interval. Would VW dealers be able to do that? It may be worth while to invest on a durametric diagnostic tool.

[edit: Anyone knows of an independent who works on diesels in the San Francisco bay area?]

Old 12-20-2013, 10:36 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Sure, they can change oil & filter. But if I'm not mistaken, VW doesn't encode the OBD2 port on the Touareg (Porsche does it to keep owners from uploading their own data). So I have doubts regarding their ability to reset a Porsche service reminder.

I change my own oil by the way; filter & O-ring $13.50 when purchased in bulk, Pennzoil C30-spec oil $58 when purchased by the case, drain plug crush washer $2.00 when purchased from Porsche. VW probably sells them cheaper. When it's too cold to do it in my driveway, I pay an independent $25 to do it for me (I provide materials).

Part of what the Porsche dealer charges is to top up with their overpriced AdBlue ($17/half gallon). You can do it yourself with generic DEF found at any auto parts store or truck stop (~$13/2.5 gallon container and spout)

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 12-20-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:13 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by grohgreg
Part of what the Porsche dealer charges is to top up with their overpriced AdBlue ($17/half gallon). You can do it yourself with generic DEF found at any auto parts store or truck stop (~$13/2.5 gallon container and spout)
They also claim (or at least mine do) to do other things that either don't need to be done (something about treating the door seals) or that every where else does complimentary even on <$100 oil changes ("multi-point" inspections).

Sadly they know that the majority of Porsche owners have plenty of money and won't bother to question why they want $300+ for something that should maybe cost $200 at a shop with insanely high labor rates (and we aren't talking about needing a Master Tech's time). I understand their need/want to make a profit, but that's a bit extreme in my book

It's not just the OCI either. If I remember correctly the 20k service is in the $1500 region for I think less than $200 in parts and a bunch of visual inspections.

I think I was quoted $2600 for the 40k service, but that one gets into some things that I'm not currently equipped to do myself. So I'll shop around when that time comes to see what it should really cost.

Interestingly we just did the 60k on the 996 over the summer for about the same cost and the dealer was actually cheaper (and did more) than the Indy we used to take it to. So dealers aren't always the worst option.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:40 PM
visitador will become famous soon enoughvisitador will become famous soon enough
Thanks Greg and Gnat.

I know of a good mechanic who has been servicing my Jeeps. I'll print Gnat's instructions for him. And if he does not have the tools to reset the service reminder, I may as well just purchase the durametric tool.

Last edited by visitador; 12-20-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:02 PM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
the VW dealers cant' reset the oil change interval, but it only pops up for a second every time you start and isn't a nuisance. I know when the next 5000 mile mark is coming up without it.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:19 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Been away from the forum for a while.. this thread is very timely to me.

When I bought my CD in early Aug '12, I was told the service interval was every 10K. Then, when the change oil light came on at 5K, I called the dealer who (only then) informed me that originally Porsche called for a 10K service on the CD, but they changed it to every 5K due to the quality of diesel fuel in CONUS (huh?). Really?

So, I couldn't believe what I was charged for the first service at 5K. In fact, if I'd known before I bought the car that it was going to require expensive services every 5K, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I paid the price for the oil change (and all the other services that the dealer claimed came with it - including adding Add Blue).

Move forward a few months and it's time for the second oil/filter change. This time I took it to a competing Porsche dealer, where I paid about half what I paid at my selling dealer. This time I paid for an oil/filter change, an Add Blue top-off, and a tire rotation. The price was still more that I thought any guy should have to pay for a routine service, but I suppose that's what comes with owning a Porsche.

So.. now I'm going to pull up Gnat's 'thread on his DIY oil/filter change. I bought a container of Add Blue from a Porsche dealer ($9), just to have it in the garage in the event the light comes on.

Do any of you fellas have a source for the durametric tool for resetting the reminder?

BTW, I love this car.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:18 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by NC 997
So.. now I'm going to pull up Gnat's 'thread on his DIY oil/filter change. I bought a container of Add Blue from a Porsche dealer ($9), just to have it in the garage in the event the light comes on.

Do any of you fellas have a source for the durametric tool for resetting the reminder?
Glad to help.

You can get the Durametric right from their site.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
If guys are paying 400$ for oil change that's their own fault. Buy the oil, buy adblue and pay an indie 20-25$ labor if u don't want to get ur hands dirty. 100$ oil change. No rocket science to adblue and it's available for cheap online and truck stops.

Heck even buying a durametric for personal use is still cheaper than paying the dealer.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 01-03-2014, 06:10 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by gnat
Glad to help.

You can get the Durametric right from their site.
Thnx, gnat ...

Old 01-14-2014, 02:58 AM
ttmkii is on a distinguished road
I am going to get my oil changed for 250, still a rip off but I am too much of a noob to try and break my cayenne. :P

Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by ttmkii
I am going to get my oil changed for 250, still a rip off but I am too much of a noob to try and break my cayenne. :P
Don't feel bad about not doing it yourself though. My dad taught me how to work on cars, but it took 20 some years before I started doing it. We all have our own comfort levels and those can change over time.

If you want to learn, the oil change is probably the simplest place to start. The key is having the correct tools, and there isn't anything special in this case.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:55 PM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
Just had 20k service done at VW. $511 vs $950 at Porsche dealer.

Oil change 119.95, Air filter change, 94, Fuel filter change, 170 and adblue 90.

Looks like adblue was the only pricey part, since I think thats just pouring it in the tank? That was 71 in labor. Maybe there was more than just filling it? It said adblue inspection.

Overall, extremely happy with my local vw dealer. They are an hour closer than porsche, much less expensive and still wash the car and provide transportation for me.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:54 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by powdercoatmike
Just had 20k service done at VW. $511 vs $950 at Porsche dealer.
Not that it's worth the cost differential, but you didn't mention resetting the "change oil now" alert. So far we've just speculated that VW dealers could not reset the Porsche alert. Would you mind confirming whether or not you still get the "change oil now" alert upon starting the engine?

Interesting twist; I bought my CD from a dealership that sold only Porsche. After a few disappointing encounters with their new service adviser (his more amenable predecessor unfortunately died) I decided to obtain future service from a different authorized Porsche dealer. Besides that, they're geographically closer. This one sells and services VW/Audi/Porsche/BMW/Mercedes. I envision the challenge will be convincing them to charge VW prices for servicing my Porsche.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 01-22-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:35 PM
They cannot reset it. It has changed to intermediate service due now, but since it's only on for a second or two, we just ignore it. I do it old school and its easy to know when every 5k has passed.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:43 AM
One of my local dealers just sent me a "Valentine's Day" special where they'll knock $100 of the 1yr/10k service.

I have an appointment for it at a VW dealer tomorrow and it's only going to cost me $100 (plus the filter I'm supplying)! I want to do it again myself, but 15" of snow + unpaved roads/driveway - garage reduce my enthusiasm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diesel 5K service.