Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

30 K Mile service - Do I need brake pads ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:40 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
30 K Mile service - Do I need brake pads ?

I took my 2012 V6 Cayenne in for its 30K service . I asked the service advisor if the brake pads need to be replaced . He seemed surprised that I am still on the original pads . He said he would have them looked at and let me know .

I called a buddy of mine who has a 2011 Cayenne S and he told me he has 47K miles on original pads !!

I realize that city Vs highway driving as well as how the car is driven plays a role in this but I am curious at what mileage have owners changed their pads ?

Also what is the expected cost for the job ?

Thanks in advance .

Old 03-12-2014, 02:54 AM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
I recently did my 30k service as well, brake pads aren't needed yet per the dealer, but they're squealing a good bit when I brake. Don't like that.

I was quoted an astronomical price for the front/rear pads and rotors from the dealer. Not a chance I do it there, it's the only dealership in town so they charge a premium. There is a shop in town that specializes in Porsche, they said $600 for the pads and probably won't need to change the rotors. Will revisit here again soon in another couple thousand miles.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:43 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Yeah if you do it at the dealer they are always going to want to do pads and rotors as that is what Porsche recommends. You can tell them to just do the pads though.

If they are squealing, they may have gotten glazed. Look at your rotors to make sure nothing is scratching them though.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
I just did brake pads only at 35K on the clock on my 2013. I do drive the car hard but most of the mileage comes on the highway and sitting in traffic.

The job cost me about $650. I thought that was fair and maybe yours would be cheaper because its a V6? I don't know...

Old 03-12-2014, 08:32 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Given the awful brake dust problem with OE pads, I suggest you consider aftermarket (pads); Kevlar or ceramic. Measure your discs too, there may still be enough material left to reface them. The minimum acceptable thickness should be stamped on the rim of the disc.

//greg//

Old 03-12-2014, 10:29 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Thanks for the replies . I got my car back from the dealership today . They were very nice to me as they always are. The service advisor explained that it's not time yet to do them . He did explain that they have a few thousand miles left in them but he also explained that he rotated the tires and by the time the brakes go the tires will join them .

Almost all of the driving is city miles and my girfriend is the primary driver . We use the car mostly for her to sit in traffic going to work and for both of us doing chores . We don't drive it hard. We do have a 13 Boxster S and a 07 997 Turbo (EVT700) too .

In contrast to my buddy who has 47K miles his are almost all highway miles .

I don'y usually keep cars with higher mileage but this Cayenne has been amazing for our needs and the new one is still a year away so it may come down to servicing the car and keeping it awhile .

Thanks again !!