Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Finally got to pick up my Cayenne S eHybrid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:21 PM
cenix is on a distinguished road
It's too bad there's no option to do the calipers like that from the factory for non-hybrid models. Or is there? Looks great and congrats!

Old 01-23-2015, 04:26 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Robetpedlr, could you please share your experience on ride comfort and handling going from 21" to 20" ?

Old 01-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Robotpedlr will become famous soon enoughRobotpedlr will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bccars
Robetpedlr, could you please share your experience on ride comfort and handling going from 21" to 20" ?
I dont really have enough miles to comment on the handling (only 350 combined with 21s and now 20s). Plus I am not driving it hard to give her a gentle break in.

As far as ride comfort, they seem to be equal in my opinion as I cant tell any difference. Since the 21s have less sidewall and the 20s are winter, that probably cancels out the delta in ride.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Robotpedlr will become famous soon enoughRobotpedlr will become famous soon enough
I did a 105 mile trip today (approx 1/3 hwy, 1/3 backroads and 1/3 heavy bumper to bumper). I left home with a full charge and I was able to top off my battery at my first appointment (charge time about 1:10) and then another quick charge (25min) at my next appointment... By the time I pulled into my driveway my average mpg for the trip showed 36.2mpg. Not bad for a 5,000 SUV.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:09 PM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
Nice vehicle! Enjoy in good health! I think it's a great option if the plug in hybrid is supported by your lifestyle / driving patterns. If I was ordering today, i'd give it quite a bit of thought vs. the Diesel. However, it's significantly more expensive than the diesel so....

Old 01-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
If I was ordering today, i'd give it quite a bit of thought vs. the Diesel. However, it's significantly more expensive than the diesel so....
I definitely thought long and hard about the diesel. But in reality it was not really much more for the SEH.

The list on mine was $102k. The Diesel configured exactly the same way is $92k. The SEH has a $5,333 tax credit and I got another $6k discount. They were not as willing to discount the Diesel much (due to high demand), so the price was close to even.

Then if you factor in the 5k mile oil service on the diesel vs 10k on the SEH (and all other versions). There was no real cost advantage (besides maybe resell, since we don't really know how well the SEH will hold its value..the diesels seem to do well).

Again, I think the Diesel is awesome, but I wanted to try a Plug in Hybrid, only time will tell which is better. I do know that so far, I am really enjoying it and love the "silent" electric miles (about 16 or 17 per charge).

Old 01-30-2015, 06:32 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Where I live the SeH is vastly less expensive than the diesel (even than the Macan Diesel) when you take everything into account. Tax legislation and deductability is largely driven by co2 numbers. The initial buying price difference is quickly recovered.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:21 AM
philipclaridge911 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
I definitely thought long and hard about the diesel. But in reality it was not really much more for the SEH.

The list on mine was $102k. The Diesel configured exactly the same way is $92k. The SEH has a $5,333 tax credit and I got another $6k discount. They were not as willing to discount the Diesel much (due to high demand), so the price was close to even.

Then if you factor in the 5k mile oil service on the diesel vs 10k on the SEH (and all other versions). There was no real cost advantage (besides maybe resell, since we don't really know how well the SEH will hold its value..the diesels seem to do well).

Again, I think the Diesel is awesome, but I wanted to try a Plug in Hybrid, only time will tell which is better. I do know that so far, I am really enjoying it and love the "silent" electric miles (about 16 or 17 per charge).

Just for interest, the base price, converted to USD, here in the UK for the SeH is $92601, and the V6 Diesel $75169. So over here, you really have to be a full on tree-hugger, or drive in the sort of environment that will benefit lugging around all those batteries and having to bother plugging the thing in every time you park up at home, before you started to recoup paying the extra over the Diesel.

Added to that, reviews over here have come to the conclusion that real world mpg figures for the SeH, while not disastrous for an SUV in this class, aren't as good as people would probably expect.
They also talk of inconsistent brake feel due to the energy harvesting system, and being able to feel the extra weight of the batteries in fast direction changes.

Anyway, fair play to you for trying one and sharing your thoughts. I have been considering a change myself but think I'll stick with my trusty Diesel, which never fails to impress.

By the way, what's all this oil change at 5k miles business..? The service intervals over here for the Diesel are 20k miles or two years, whichever sooner.......

Old 01-31-2015, 08:10 AM
In the US the oil changes are due every 5k miles on the Diesel. Not sure about other parts of the world.

Not really accurate in comparing the base prices of the two as they come with different items standard and some difference in package prices (at least in the U.S.) so you actually have to configure both to get a real price comparison.

I can not really feel any brake sensation difference due to the regeneration and don't drive it like a 911 so can't comment on the weight when driving aggressively. It seems to handle as well (or better) then my previous Range Rover Sport.

I have just under 1,000 miles and average about 31 mpg so far (in winter with slight decreased battery performance). I know some people with diesel get close to that on hwy runs but I get it in the city also. Plus diesel is about 20% more per gallon here, so you would have to get about 37 mpg in a diesel to equal that. I charge every night at home, which takes me about 10 seconds of effort to plug it in.

Last edited by Robotpedlr; 01-31-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by philipclaridge911
They also talk of inconsistent brake feel due to the energy harvesting system, and being able to feel the extra weight of the batteries in fast direction changes.
I have noticed a rather abrupt initial bite during my testdrive, but I soon got used to it ! I do not see it as a problem. We'll see what happens when the car gets delivered and is driving every day...

As for the weight of the batteries, for me it will be my daily driver, not my fun car. So that makes that a bit of a non issue in my use case.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:25 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Does the battery take up much additional space in the rear or have they hidden it really well? Can you post a picture if it is different than a standard Cayenne?

Old 02-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by 911xpress
Does the battery take up much additional space in the rear or have they hidden it really well? Can you post a picture if it is different than a standard Cayenne?
It is under the cargo area. It doesn't take up any of the normal space you have in the back of Cayenne...but you dont get a spare tire (just can of sealant and electric pump).

Here is what it looks like if you lift up the cargo floor. My hand is in there for scale

Old 02-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
It is under the cargo area. It doesn't take up any of the normal space you have in the back of Cayenne...but you dont get a spare tire (just can of sealant and electric pump). Here is what it looks like if you lift up the cargo floor. My hand is in there for scale
I am pretty sure you lose a few inches of vertical load floor space.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:38 PM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
Gorgeous pepper, and good discussion. Enjoy it!

Old 02-10-2015, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I am pretty sure you lose a few inches of vertical load floor space.
If so I would really be surprised. I don't notice any loss. The floor is even with the bumper top (where the floor transitions to the locking mechanism). Any higher or lower would look odd. If it is even an inch higher the normal I would be really surprised.

Here is a good pic I found of the cargo area in an SEH. (since mine has a black interior and a cargo liner, this one is a better sample). If there is any space missing... I dont notice it. Pic is from this site that has lots of great info https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/cayenne/958.2/

Last edited by Robotpedlr; 02-10-2015 at 08:34 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally got to pick up my Cayenne S eHybrid