Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Can I purchase a warranty since I am a new owner?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 06:21 AM
MayorMcCheese is an unknown quantity at this point
Can I purchase a warranty since I am a new owner?

Can I buy a warranty for my Cayenne (didn't search the forum) 65k on my 2012 CS and I may not have officially signed the papers to buy this P!G but Ive read as much as someone can read about this TC .. can I purchase a warranty for my Cayenne so I'd have peace knowing I'm covered?
What happens to people who buy these SUVs as a new owner but need the additional safety net what do we do?

Thanks,
Danny

Old 07-10-2017, 08:55 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Danny,

You can purchase a warranty - just not from Porsche. It will be aftermarket. I'd suggest reading even more as to what warranty company is reliable and actually covers and pays for things (there are older threads on this topic.) The warranty companies are making a bet with you - the bet is - they can charge you more money (after the dealer's/seller's markup) than you can collect under warranty. They are in business to make money, providing a service is secondary to that. Warranty terms on aftermarket warranties are written to help the company win that bet, so very careful reading the actual contract before signing the check..

Many complaints against warranty companies are made by people who didn't do that and feel wronged when the company denies payment for an item not included in the contract. Most salesmen are reluctant to give you a real contract to read (they'll hand you the glossy brochure - which is not a contract) and try to sell you using that. FWIW - typical markup on selling a warranty contract is 100% (double the cost to the dealer) - so dickering the price is quite possible.

For people buying used Cayennes - if you don't have resources enough to drop $3-4,000 into repairs that are unforseen - the Cayenne probably isn't the vehicle for you.

I have an aftermarket warranty - it's an inclusionary one (that covers ONLY what it specifically says it covers.) It includes camshaft timing gears/sprockets (so it would cover the Variocam issue) and it includes transfer-cases. Those were the reason I bought it. Other contracts may be exclusionary - they cover everything on the vehicle except what they specifically state they do not cover. Those cost more $$$. They're hedging their bet.

DO get a copy of the original real contract of any warranty you're considering, then sit there with a highlighter and see if the items you're concerned with are covered - balance that against the probability of failure and the cost of failure - and the cost of the warranty. Don't let the salesman rush you into it - all the warranty companies allow you to purchase their warranty within ## days of vehicle purchase, despite what the salesman with slicked back hair says. And I'll repeat READ THE ACTUAL CONTRACT.

Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.