Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

958 S Hybrid owners - thoughts on buying?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Sjt0017 is on a distinguished road
958 S Hybrid owners - thoughts on buying?

Hi All,

I haven't been on here for quite a long time, had a 955 CTT that a NJ dealer replaced the pano roof wrong and water/mildew/mold ended up all through my headliner and into my spare tire/amplifier area, totaling out the vehicle.

I ended up with a GS450h, loved it. Instant power, CVT transmission was awesome, and I actually appreciated the quiet after having the CTT (with removed cats, exhaust, loud recircs, etc)!

Well, I'm back in the market for a Cayenne since I loved the last one, and just put a deposit down on a S Hybrid.
"Why would you consider a hybrid over an S or a TT?"
My gf works at the dealer, and this truck came in on trade for the new E-Hybrid, the gf met the wife that was trading it in so she can attest that it hasn't been "driven". Financially, it's a fantastic deal, comes with extended 100k CPO warranty in addition to the factory warranty so I have no worries about longevity issues or hybrid battery warnings everyone talked about in posts from 2011.

Has anybody here tuned one? I know that the drivetrain is a supercharged 3.0 Audi motor that Audi puts in a few of their vehicles, and I've seen some of those pushing 500+hp with tunes, exhaust, pulleys, etc (not my goal). I'd settle for a simple piggyback tune, add 40-60 hp, just to give it a bit more pep for being a heavier pig.

Anybody tune a S Hybrid on here? If so, what's your overall feedback on ownership? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Sjt0017; 10-04-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:21 PM
jbm341 is on a distinguished road
I am also looking at purchasing a hybrid. Would love to hear your thoughts on the car, did you end up buying it after all?
jay

Old 12-15-2017, 08:12 PM
Sjt0017 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jbm341
I am also looking at purchasing a hybrid. Would love to hear your thoughts on the car, did you end up buying it after all?
jay
Nope, it actually failed CPO inspection the day after I posted this. Dealer sent to auction because it had an oil leak that required them to drop the engine ($8k Labor).
I still think they’re great trucks, as long as you’re buying as a “sports hybrid” and not truly for the mpg.

I ended up with a ‘13 TT so I’m extremely happy it didn’t work out!

Old 12-16-2017, 11:59 AM
jbm341 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sjt0017
Nope, it actually failed CPO inspection the day after I posted this. Dealer sent to auction because it had an oil leak that required them to drop the engine ($8k Labor).
I still think they’re great trucks, as long as you’re buying as a “sports hybrid” and not truly for the mpg.

I ended up with a ‘13 TT so I’m extremely happy it didn’t work out!
Kind of weary buying one, not too many reviews out there that are making me feel warm and fuzzy. I am about to go look at a 13' GTS. We'll see what kind of deal that i can work out from the dealer.... cheers!

Old 12-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Acoll123 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought a CPO 2016 at the end of last year. Can't beat the 100K / 6 year warranty. Only thing I have done is replace the secondary cats with straight pipes from Fabspeed. Modest increase in sound, MPG and power. This car works great for me - 12-mile round trip to work and home most days. Calculated range is usually 12-16 miles on a full charge depending on the temperature but I think that doesn't include whatever you get from regenerative breaking . . . Average MPG since I bought it is 39.2.

Best part is when I need the power, it's there. 95 HP electric motor and 321 gas - 416 base plus maybe 10-12 from the new pipes. Not that I race it, but very few other vehicles can beat me off the line - the combination of gas-electric makes for a very quick start.

All in all I really like it. Only drawback is no factory trailer hitch available for the hybrids - I haven't looked at third party options . . .

Currently have 26K miles and no problems at all . . .

Old 12-22-2017, 08:16 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Just picked up a 2017 S-E Hybrid.

Love it so far.

Best to keep the battery charged in order to access the full boost mode.

Dealer knew very little about the hybrid - and let me test drive it with battery completely flat, so it wasn't too exciting. They should know better.

Contemplating a tune and a set of Fabspeed cat bypass pipes.

One hack I did right away was to put some duct tape over the speaker in the engine bay. The speaker is used to generate noise so people can hear you coming in parking lots. It's VERY annoying. Now, with a little tape, I can cruise around in near silence.

So far, so good. Lots of Porsche over-engineering on display with this buggy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.