Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

How to remove 958 gen 2 taillights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:41 AM
wexford911 will become famous soon enough
How to remove 958 gen 2 taillights?

As the title said, do anybody know how to remove the gen 2 taillights? Do I have to remove the rear trunk lining to gain access the bolts? I have attached a photo, can someone please advise what is the plastic cover for and how do I remove it. As far as I know one of the bolt is actually located on this plastic cover. Thanks in advance

Old 10-30-2017, 07:33 AM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
From a 2011 service manual it appears the fascia panel is attached using friction-fit connections. You pry it loose with a sturdy panel-removing spatula tool. Being careful not to mar the surfaces, of course. The same thing works to remove the interior lower trim on the rear lid. Once those are off there looks to be one nut holding the reflector assembly onto the lid.

I'd venture the .2 models are similarly assembled.

Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2017, 11:51 AM
wexford911 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by wkearney99
From a 2011 service manual it appears the fascia panel is attached using friction-fit connections. You pry it loose with a sturdy panel-removing spatula tool. Being careful not to mar the surfaces, of course. The same thing works to remove the interior lower trim on the rear lid. Once those are off there looks to be one nut holding the reflector assembly onto the lid.

I'd venture the .2 models are similarly assembled.
Thank you so much for the instruction!

I don’t understand why porsche make it so hard to remove the taillights, same as the fog lights!

Old 10-30-2017, 03:03 PM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
I don't know that they're any harder/easier than most other vehicles in this segment. Sure, some are simpler but with LED elements they're not expected to be frequently changed. That and having to pop off a few panels and ONE nut isn't exactly "hard".

Like I said, that picture illustrates a previous year/model, but it's very likely to be similar to the method for the 958.2. So go easy with the spudgers when you pry on the panels. The main lower panel is probably the one that requires the most effort. Iirc, there's three screws near the 'handles' and then around six of the press-fit connections. Be extra careful regarding the right handle (near the close/lock buttons) as it's fit into the panel is held by plastic welds. You DO NOT want to pull on the handle when removing that panel, else you risk separating the handle from the panel. This IS one area where I'd ***** about something being 'too simply' engineered.

Old 02-25-2023, 02:37 PM
edwin723 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello @wexford911 @wkearney99 were you able to successfully remove the taillight in the rear lid?

Am I supposed to just pry the trim panel off using plastic trim tool like in the top half picture?
Or do I press on those locking pins somehow (it is very tight space) both sides and then pull trim panel down?

Sorry if I am missing something here. Thanks for your help!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.