Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Power sterring fluid.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 12:55 PM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
Power sterring fluid.

Which power steering fluid do I need for my 2011 Cayenne S CHF202 or CHF 11S? Thanks all. Have a terrible whinning sound on cold startup which is worse when I turn the steering wheel left and right. It calms down as idle falls but is real bad when I turn the wheel extreme left and right in the driveway. I checked my dipstick and the level is below the fill line. I want to head down to Advanced Auto this afternoon and grab the right stuff to fill it. Thanks.

T.J.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by TJtheDJ; 11-24-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:52 AM
DrBillyD is an unknown quantity at this point
I used CHF202 when I replaced the PS and PDCC reservoirs at 60K (2014 CTTS). Now at 71K and haven't had issues.

I had some whining associated with PS at max ends of range a long time ago, probably 20-25K, and PS fluid was low when I checked reservoir. Topped it up at that time and lasted til 60K reservoir change.

PDCC fluid was low when I did reservoir change at 60K. The PDCC reservoir is located underneath some trim at the back of the engine compartment, not easily visible with the trim on, and taking the top off to check the dipstick level requires removal of the trim piece, which isn't difficult but is a PITA. When I replaced the reservoirs, I put a line on the outside of the reservoirs with a Sharpie to make checking the levels easier. PS and PDCC reservoirs are the same part #. From what I've learned, the PS and PDCC pump is a single unit with two separate pump mechanisms inside for each system.

There are videos out there on how to change the reservoirs and flush/fill PS and PDCC.

Old 11-26-2021, 09:00 AM
Wow so there could possibly be 2 issues instead of one? I’m going to try to just top off the PS fluid first with the fluid you mentioned above. I’ll then cycle the steering wheel for air bubbles and see if that helps. I’ll take it into Porsche. I’m upset as I mentioned this to them last month during my inspection and they said nothing was wrong. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:54 AM
UPDATE: Well I added power steering fluid and the whining for the time being is gone. I guess the pump was really trying to suck down some fluid. May I ask where does this fluid evaporate too? I see no leaks?

Old 11-26-2021, 12:23 PM
DrBillyD is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TJtheDJ
UPDATE: Well I added power steering fluid and the whining for the time being is gone. I guess the pump was really trying to suck down some fluid. May I ask where does this fluid evaporate too? I see no leaks?
Yeah, I couldn't figure out either where the PS fluid was going when I topped it off at around 20-25K miles, and from then til 60K when I did the reservoir replacement, the level was stable. Never saw any leaks and asked my indy to look for any when oil was changed; he said both PS and PDCC systems looked OK visually with no leaks present. After that I checked the levels when I do winter/summer tire/wheel swaps. Doubt you'd hear much from PDCC side of system unless you were in the habit of doing hard cornering.

How many miles on your buggy? Service recommendation is to replace PS (and PDCC if equipped) reservoirs and fluid at 60K intervals. When I did mine, the fluid was black (new CHF202 is green) and took about 4-5 flushes (fill new reservoir with new fluid, crank for 5-10 sec, drain reservoir, repeat) to clear. The PS and PDCC reservoirs are the same part #, I used about 4 liters of CHF202, and time was about 2 hours to do it myself. Don't have receipts in front of me but I'd guess < $200 for parts; obviously less if your vehicle doesn't have PDCC. Given the insane markup at dealer service departments, wouldn't be shocked for a bill of $1K to do both PDCC and PS reservoir replacements.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:15 AM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
i changed the PS fluid yearly. it is easy and cheap.CHF202 Green liquid, my cayenne is 2015.