Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Steering faulty Porsche cayenne turbo 2006

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 04:48 PM
twodan is on a distinguished road
Gone

I have not left the fold. I still have my 991. We decided the GMC was the better choice for my non car person wife. She did not want a Porsche.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by twodan
I have not left the fold. I still have my 991. We decided the GMC was the better choice for my non car person wife. She did not want a Porsche.
Oh, got it, and in that case you may be right. Took me a while to get my wife to understand the care and feeding of her 997, but she likes performance vehicles and is in board. If your wife looks at a car more like a here to there appliance, then it doesn't make sense to put her into a Porsche.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:10 AM
Amos R is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi John...DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING THAT YOU READ..
I had the exact same issues with my steering lock, i drove my 955 CS home from work, parked the car. The next morning went to start the car and NADA...Steering was stuck and locked in park, car was parked 5 floors deep in an underground car park and cost me over $400 to extract the vehicle (OMG thats another story completely..NIGHTMARE!).
So, like yourself i trawled the forums on the point of a nervous breakdown thinking 'new steering column = $$$'.
But i want you to try a few things first before spending big $.
firstly i want you to disconnect the terminals to your battery located under the passenger seat and leave them off for half an hr.

Last edited by Amos R; 12-27-2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: forgot to enter something
Old 12-27-2017, 08:14 PM
ringnalda is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Amos R
Hi John...DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING THAT YOU READ..
I had the exact same issues with my steering lock, i drove my 955 CS home from work, parked the car. The next morning went to start the car and NADA...Steering was stuck and locked in park, car was parked 5 floors deep in an underground car park and cost me over $400 to extract the vehicle (OMG thats another story completely..NIGHTMARE!).
So, like yourself i trawled the forums on the point of a nervous breakdown thinking 'new steering column = $$$'.
But i want you to try a few things first before spending big $.
firstly i want you to disconnect the terminals to your battery located under the passenger seat and leave them off for half an hr.
While I agree that MAY get you going, you can bet a fairly large quantity of beer that the fault will come back, and never at an opportune moment. Get the components off and fixed, and check one worry off your list... Plus, here in the US, the battery is under the driver's seat.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Pkcayenne is on a distinguished road
Icarsoft i960

Hi all will the icarsoft i960 read this fault do you think as I’ve tried other generic readers with no luck, they just saw no connection or will this one get around it . Cannot move the car without a flat bed and disengaging the gear lever any advise appreciated anyone in broward with a tool would appreciate the help

Old 03-02-2018, 09:59 AM
ringnalda is on a distinguished road
Probably not, only PIWIS and Durametric tools read these cars. You can disengage the gear selector, the process is shown on youtube.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Pkcayenne is on a distinguished road
Icarsoft differences

Does anyone know the difference for the two models

http://www.icarsoft.com/web/icarsoft...tic/index.html

Old 03-03-2018, 10:02 AM
Vulcan Grey is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Pkcayenne
Does anyone know the difference for the two models

http://www.icarsoft.com/web/icarsoft...tic/index.html
I don't but I think I would look at the Icarscan X431 first.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:34 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vulcan Grey
I don't but I think I would look at the Icarscan X431 first.
Yup:
http://www.obd2tool.com/goods-5052-L...r+Android.html

Amazon Amazon

And for a thread where lots of people have used it:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ble-again.html

Old 02-19-2020, 07:27 AM
Bluebmw83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ringnalda
This is going to become a more and more common problem as the components used in this circuitry get older. It is basically the same in the Audi A8, the VW Touareg and the Cayenne.

The official Porsche solution is to buy a new steering column, which including removal costs, replacement and recoding will run around $4000. There are some alternatives. Tom at Speedometer solutions in Chicago is very capable of fixing the actual problem, but you will need to send him the steering lock module (not too bad to remove but not for the feint of heart) as well as the kessy module and a functional key. The total cost for this depends on whether the lock was active or not, which decides if you can get the lock off with everything in place, or if you have to remove the steering column to get it removed. I would say removal costs will be around $250 or so. Tom charges $399 to repair the module and GUARANTEES his work.

The last alternative is to get all the necessary parts from a junkyard, but you will need the lock from the steering column, the kessy as well as the keys. You will then use all of the new electronics, and switch the blade from your old key. I have no idea what you could get such a set for but it will all need to be matching. Once these things are programmed, there is NO reprogramming.

I have just gone through this, and my car is back on the road after spending less than $500. Sucks but better than $4k...
I have a 06 cayenne S that i was gonna just give up on but found a turbo of the same year with the steering column problem can I use my S as a donor to repair the turbo? Because the turbo is at an awesome deal and I'm in Chicago so I'm gonna call that place and see what they charge

Old 02-19-2020, 08:08 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Am I correct that there are 2 failure parts to this scenario - one is mechanical where the arm moves to release the steering lock and the other is electrical where it fails to recognize the microchip in the key? For the mechanical one, once removed due to a failure, do those pieces have to be reinstalled or can you omit them to not render the vehicle immobile if a failure occurs?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.