Snow tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 06:06 PM
malcum is on a distinguished road
Snow tire suggestions

Over Christmas break my family and I will be heading up north to NYC, Maine, and then into Canada. I expect some snow but love the roadtrip to much to pass it up. Was wondering if you guys had any snow tire suggestions, I've got 20s on the car.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Many companies including Nokian, Michelin, Bridgestone... have wonderful snow (and or ice) tires. You'll have to see which ones come in 20". I am wearing the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 SUV tires and they are (in testing and my experience) unsurpassed for cold/snow/ice driving. But again, what is available in 20" will be your discovery as mine are 18's.

Last edited by denversteve; 01-21-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:15 AM
fullbirdmusic is on a distinguished road
Continental makes some decent 20" M&S tires. I've got them in 20s on my Cayenne GTS. It rides rough compared to the summer shoes but that's to be expected. Mine are 275/40 R20 106V. HTH

Old 01-16-2014, 08:52 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure how I missed this, but I'm sorry I did. Please give me a call if you still need the tires. I'd love to help!

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Yokohama makes a new snow tire for SUVs that looks impressive and is speed rated up to 186 mph. Yokohama iceGUARD IG51v. I am going with a 255/55/20 tire.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/iceguard_ig51v

http://media.unitedfuture-yoko.com.s...NAL-Lo-Res.pdf

Old 01-20-2014, 12:31 AM
waltertm is on a distinguished road
No doubt that Nokian's are excellent in the snow, but they are quite expensive.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:12 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by waltertm
No doubt that Nokian's are excellent in the snow, but they are quite expensive.
Shop around and they are around $200 each. Well worth it to me.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Brit6 is on a distinguished road
Nokian are great winter/snow/ice tire but you will give up some highway/dry/handling capabilities.

Your best bet would be a high performance snow tire, Pirelli, etc.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Brit6
Nokian are great winter/snow/ice tire but you will give up some highway/dry/handling capabilities.

Your best bet would be a high performance snow tire, Pirelli, etc.
Interesting ............... But not true. I dumped Pirelli because they slid too much in snow and on ice. I actually use these tires and they are quiet, grippy and handle great. There is no negative except that they have a slightly lower top speed rating, than summer tires, which is fine for high-performance snow tires. Pirelli's don't compare as I have actually owned both back to back.

Last edited by denversteve; 02-02-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Brit6 is on a distinguished road
Very true. I live in Canada i think i know a little more about snow conditions than you west coasters

I had Nokian Hakkapeliitta (not the 7) on my SUV and i found them loud and not the best for handling (They did work good on snow though)

I upgraded to Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow (N1) and I like these much better, so quiet, handle great in the snow and highway driving are much better road response.

I tested these on 8hr road trips and going up to the mountains snowboarding.

The Pirelli are made for the Cayenne, they are N1 tested and approved by Porsche the Nokian are not.

The nokian made the Cayenne feel more like a truck than a performance SUV.

Originally Posted by denversteve
Interesting ............... But not true. I dumped Pirelli because they sucked in snow and on ice. I actually use these tires and they are quiet, grippy and handle great. There is no negative except that they have a slightly lower top speed rating, than summer tires, which is fine for high-performance snow tires. Pirelli's don't compare as I have actually owned both back to back.

Last edited by Brit6; 01-22-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:13 PM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by denversteve
Interesting ............... But not true. I dumped Pirelli because they sucked in snow and on ice. I actually use these tires and they are quiet, grippy and handle great. There is no negative except that they have a slightly lower top speed rating, than summer tires, which is fine for high-performance snow tires. Pirelli's don't compare as I have actually owned both back to back.

Wait a second....

Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice tire (Porsche NO rated) is a phenomenal winter tire...not sure which version you had since you didn't specify.

In addition, I also have personal experience with Bridgestone Blizzak, which is very similar but cheaper option. FWIW: I am on my second set of Blizzaks for a 20" wheel (275/45/20). While not Porsche rated (NO or N1), they are top notch for winter.....just not rated for 160mph!

Last edited by BlazinPond; 01-22-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by Brit6
Very true. I live in Canada i think i know a little more about snow conditions than you west coasters
Once again, my northern newcomer friend, you are incorrect. I live at 9,000 ft. in the Colorado mountains where it is currently -15 degrees (I spend my work time in L.A.). -15 with 3 feet of snow this week (that's -26 for our northern friends). I'm quite familiar with snow and ice and the tires that work in them. The Nokia Hakkapeliitta 7 SUV tire is the best snow/ice tire I've ever driven. Hands down even though, if you read my first response to this thread, there are many good options.

Last edited by denversteve; 02-02-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:34 AM
sarends is on a distinguished road
Vredestein Wintrac Nextremes are awesome! First ever Y speed rated snow tire. I have had several sets of Vredesteins and love them.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sarends
Vredestein Wintrac Nextremes are awesome! First ever Y speed rated snow tire. I have had several sets of Vredesteins and love them.
Good to hear! I seriously considered these tires for several reasons, before going with the Y-speed rated Yokohama's. I got a slight better deal when all was said and done.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Quote:

"A tire receives its speed rating by the U.S. Government through meeting minimum standards for reaching and sustaining a specified speed. What does that mean to you? Well, in general, a higher speed rating will result in better car handling....

B - Up to 31 mph
C - Up to 37 mph
D - Up to 40 mph
E - Up to 43 mph
F - Up to 50 mph
G - Up to 56 mph
J - Up to 62 mph
K - Up to 68 mph
L - Up to 75 mph
M - Up to 81 mph
N - Up to 87 mph
P - Up to 94 mph
Q - Up to 100 mph
R - Up to 106 mph
S - Up to 112 mph
T - Up to 118 mph
U - Up to 124 mph
H - Up to 130 mph
V - Up to 149 mph
W - Up to 168 mph
Y - Up to 186 mph
Z - 149 mph and over"

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSpeedRating.dos

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snow tire suggestions