Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Mistake Measuring Voltage - Won't Start Now

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 03:12 PM
compositeguy is on a distinguished road
Stupid Mistake Measuring Voltage - Won't Start Now

I had the connectors in the multimeter hooked up wrong and was attempting to measure the battery voltage via the engine "probes". Unfortunately, I got a spark. I realized I had the hookups wrong on the multimeter and adjusted them. I got 11.9V, which is low. But then the engine won't start at all.

Maybe its just a fuse?

EDIT: Checked the fuses in the engine compartment and they were all good. I didn't see any in the door compartment that might be relevant.

Also checked the voltage again at it was 10.9V. So maybe the battery just totally (and instantly) crapped out? I am used to batteries dying in an more gradual manner. Maybe that short killed a cell or something?

Last edited by compositeguy; 10-18-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:32 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
I would have thought it would blow the fuse in the meter before doing any real damage to the car or battery. But I'm no sparktrician either.

As is the usual advice around these parts, if you suspect anything to do with the battery get it load tested.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:12 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
At 10.9V the battery is basically dead. Time for a new one. And I'm sure that Porsche has a base-level voltage cutoff - where below a certain voltage the modules in the car shut themselves down to protect themselves against low voltage (which can cause excess current draw and overheating.)

Old 10-22-2016, 05:56 PM
compositeguy is on a distinguished road
I replaced the battery and all good. I guess it was just a coincidence that it died exactly at the same time I hooked up the multimeter incorrectly. Just odd because batteries usually give a bit more warning.

I did get a "4 wheel drive error" right before the battery died, which is what prompted the voltage test. So there was some warning, but no hard starting.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:31 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by compositeguy
I replaced the battery and all good. I guess it was just a coincidence that it died exactly at the same time I hooked up the multimeter incorrectly. Just odd because batteries usually give a bit more warning.

I did get a "4 wheel drive error" right before the battery died, which is what prompted the voltage test. So there was some warning, but no hard starting.

My battery didn't give me any warning either. Went to start it one Sunday morning and nothing. These cars are very sensitive to a less than perfect battery. Lot's of documentation with all kinds of oddball symptoms showing up when the battery is on it's way out or not at full charge.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.