Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Duster: fact or fiction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:30 PM
jkb
jkb is on a distinguished road
Duster: fact or fiction?

so before the rainy season started in california i washed and waxed my 996 and its been sitting in the garage for the past 6 weeks or so.

it has managed to collect some dust since i dont have a car cover (i'll probably buy one for next season).

my question is this -- do the dusters like california duster actually work for situations like these? or is it all useless hype and i should just give it another wash and stop looking for shortcuts because of my laziness?

thanks...

Old 01-25-2008, 06:03 AM
Former Vendor
PRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant future
Using a duster on the paint isnt the best thing you should be doing. If you have a compressor just blow out the car really well and then wipe it with spray wax, but that is if you havent driven the car since you washed last and its only been in the garrage. If that is not the case, then give it a quick wash and call it the day

Old 01-25-2008, 06:10 AM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
2nd pass on the duster

Old 01-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PRFCNST
Using a duster on the paint isnt the best thing you should be doing. If you have a compressor just blow out the car really well and then wipe it with spray wax, but that is if you havent driven the car since you washed last and its only been in the garrage. If that is not the case, then give it a quick wash and call it the day
Well said...stay away from the California Duster....does more harm than good and the oils in the cotton fibers are laden with cheap petrochemicals.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:29 AM
chardonet will become famous soon enoughchardonet will become famous soon enough
What about the wool dusters to take off the garage dust? Also, now that we are on the subject, what about the Swiffer Dusters? Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:56 AM
frafoss is on a distinguished road
What about this one, I have just got it. Is it any good?

Old 01-25-2008, 11:14 AM
jkb
jkb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Well said...stay away from the California Duster....does more harm than good and the oils in the cotton fibers are laden with cheap petrochemicals.
thanks... just confirms what i thought all alone.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:32 PM
triple_nickel is on a distinguished road
Yup, scratched the hell out of my last car. Probably works 'better' on lighter color cars because you can't see the scratches

Old 01-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Renoir is on a distinguished road
I get mixed advice, my paint guy swears by the Duster. He is against cars getting wet. I know, he just wants to paint my car. He has a '68 Camaro that "hasn't been wet in 5 years".

My detailer says not to. I know, he just wants to wash my car.

What I do is use the duster and then do a quick spray of the Zymol. No question, it does scratch, but on my '67 water is the enemy.

Last edited by Renoir; 01-25-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Former Vendor
PRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant future
If its not a big hassle buy your self a small compressor and your worries to use a duster are all gone.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:01 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chardonet
What about the wool dusters to take off the garage dust? Also, now that we are on the subject, what about the Swiffer Dusters? Thanks for the advice.
Not sure of the Swiffer Duster, but the wool duster is OK. We use the Zymol Wool Duster when at Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance to dust the cars throughout the day. It's very safe and the tips of the feathers are actually removing the dust with static electricity. It's not designed to take the place of washing, rather fine dust from sitting in the garage or after waxing.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:58 AM
frafoss is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by frafoss
What about this one, I have just got it. Is it any good?

Anyone with this from Swisswax?

Old 01-26-2008, 08:05 AM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
that's basically a California Duster I would pass on that one.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:31 AM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
stay away!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:07 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by frafoss
Anyone with this from Swisswax?
That's the same as a california duster. RUN MAN.......RUN FAST!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Duster: fact or fiction?