Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

what do you guys pay for detailing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Zaks will become famous soon enoughZaks will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ice350
That's poppycock! I've been detailing my own cars all my life and they look new til the day it is sold or traded. It isn't hard to learn. It does take patience and care....and plenty of energy. Most detailers I meet use products that make the car look good after it's done but don't last. I've even visited the local detailers equipment warehouse, purchased wax and cleaners that I used once before realizing they were not up to my standards. I use a detailer only when I'm too busy but usually I make time. No one does it better than me. ANyone can learn.
First of all, you are right that it takes patience and care, and plenty of energy, but I said "not everyone" is fit for it... you might be one of those exceptions, and even if you are it's not that easy to do.

Second of all, and don't take this personally since I don't know the quality of your work, but I've honestly heard your quote of "I've been detailing my own cars all my life and they look new til the day it is sold or traded" about 10 times now, and of those 10 times 8 of the cars looked like the above photo Phil posted, the other 2 were a little better. So most of the time, if someone thinks "no one does it better than me" it's usually because they haven't seen "better than me".(refer to "new" vs. "properly detailed" below)

Third, even if it is true when you say "they look new til the day it is sold or traded", new is 99% of the time closer to the above Porsche photo than it is to a properly detailed car... the standard people are living with today is "new" and not "properly detailed" and that is why in MANY MANY cases all quality detailers get those phone calls that start with "it's in great shape, looks new" or "I just bought it a couple months ago, and just need a wax, I think"... again, problem with that is that NEW is a condition of a car that can be greatly improved almost 100% of the time, but since people have the idea of ***NEW*** engraved in their head, it takes a lot of convincing and before/after presentations to teach them to think differently. Just the other day I had a guy call me back to tell me he won't be needing a 1-step polish detail from me because he took care of the swirl marks, water spots, and some holograms with Meguiar's smooth surface clay kit and their wax from the 3-step from Autozone... yes he did some good work on the car but it's physically only 10-20% better than what he started with.

Lastly, the detailers you've meet with products "that make the car look good after it's done but don't last" (I'm not even sure what you mean by that... filler waxes? in that case car isn't even "done" all you need is a wash and filler wax) are the hack jobs that we've all mentioned here who make a quick $50-100, sometimes get lucky and rip someone off for $200, and simply do a wash and wax with tons of fillers to hid all the defects, but a couple months later and it's all back where it started... unfortunately, some of these hacks also practice their "awesome" (HUGE SARCASM) skill in rotary polishing and simply screw up the paint even more and prevent it, in some cases, from being properly polished in the future by taking off too much paint.

ps.. "a picture is worth a thousand words"... post some photos of these cars that you take care of that still look like new...

Last edited by Zaks; 05-12-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:17 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lecchilo
First of all, you are right that it takes patience and care, and plenty of energy, but I said "not everyone" is fit for it... you might be one of those exceptions, and even if you are it's not that easy to do.

Second of all, and don't take this personally since I don't know the quality of your work, but I've honestly heard your quote of "I've been detailing my own cars all my life and they look new til the day it is sold or traded" about 10 times now, and of those 10 times 8 of the cars looked like the above photo Phil posted, the other 2 were a little better. So most of the time, if someone thinks "no one does it better than me" it's usually because they haven't seen "better than me".(refer to "new" vs. "properly detailed" below)

Third, even if it is true when you say "they look new til the day it is sold or traded", new is 99% of the time closer to the above Porsche photo than it is to a properly detailed car... the standard people are living with today is "new" and not "properly detailed" and that is why in MANY MANY cases all quality detailers get those phone calls that start with "it's in great shape, looks new" or "I just bought it a couple months ago, and just need a wax, I think"... again, problem with that is that NEW is a condition of a car that can be greatly improved almost 100% of the time, but since people have the idea of ***NEW*** engraved in their head, it takes a lot of convincing and before/after presentations to teach them to think differently. Just the other day I had a guy call me back to tell me he won't be needing a 1-step polish detail from me because he took care of the swirl marks, water spots, and some holograms with Meguiar's smooth surface clay kit and their wax from the 3-step from Autozone... yes he did some good work on the car but it's physically only 10-20% better than what he started with.

Lastly, the detailers you've meet with products "that make the car look good after it's done but don't last" (I'm not even sure what you mean by that... filler waxes? in that case car isn't even "done" all you need is a wash and filler wax) are the hack jobs that we've all mentioned here who make a quick $50-100, sometimes get lucky and rip someone off for $200, and simply do a wash and wax with tons of fillers to hid all the defects, but a couple months later and it's all back where it started... unfortunately, some of these hacks also practice their "awesome" (HUGE SARCASM) skill in rotary polishing and simply screw up the paint even more and prevent it, in some cases, from being properly polished in the future by taking off too much paint.

ps.. "a picture is worth a thousand words"... post some photos of these cars that you take care of that still look like new...
You make good points but I assure you, I do a good job on my cars. SO much that people ask me for referrals but are surprised when I tell them I do it. I understand paint condition and the effects of oxidation, salt air and acid rain. I understand having to clean the paint surface and using a good quality wax but most important, washing the car reguarly to prevent damage. I was taught at an early age by my grandfather and mother. It was my job to clean the family cars and I couldn't stop until it was done to their satisfaction. I'm 49 now and I'll say it again, no one does it better. Maybe this will sound better, I'm as good as anyone who has experience. I have 35 years experience, I should know a little something by now.

As for posting my cars. I currently have 2 Lexus GS. I love p-cars but Lexus is my brand for now. This site doesn't seem to welcome those cars. Maybe I'll post a couple to this thread when I get home, just to show how good I keep them.

You sound like a detailer I would trust my car with. You obviously care about the quality of your work. If there were more like you, I wouldn't have to do it myself.

Nahhh, I love it too much to stop. They're my babies.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:46 AM
You make good points but I assure you, I do a good job on my cars. SO much that people ask me for referrals but are surprised when I tell them I do it. I understand paint condition and the effects of oxidation, salt air and acid rain. I understand having to clean the paint surface and using a good quality wax but most important, washing the car reguarly to prevent damage. I was taught at an early age by my grandfather and mother. It was my job to clean the family cars and I couldn't stop until it was done to their satisfaction. I'm 49 now and I'll say it again, no one does it better. Maybe this will sound better, I'm as good as anyone who has experience. I have 35 years experience, I should know a little something by now.

As for posting my cars. I currently have 2 Lexus GS. I love p-cars but Lexus is my brand for now. This site doesn't seem to welcome those cars. Maybe I'll post a couple to this thread when I get home, just to show how good I keep them.

You sound like a detailer I would trust my car with. You obviously care about the quality of your work. If there were more like you, I wouldn't have to do it myself.

Nahhh, I love it too much to stop. They're my babies.
The only reason I asked for a photo is because that's the only thing that proves the condition of your car... yes someone (in this case you) could post a photo in the sun after tons of filler wax layers have been applied to hide everything, but then that someone is not fooling just me, rather themselves.

Glad you didn't take it personally as all I was trying to say that everyone, including yourself, who's been doing this for a while, whether taking care of their own cars or detailing others', needs to expand their horizons and see if there's something better out there, something new to learn, new product to try, etc. If you keep saying you're the best to care for your own car(s), I can't trust you as I haven't seen/read about your technique, photos, etc. If Moe, Phil or numerous other quality detailers, on this site and others, say that, I can trust that as I've seen their display of knowledge numerous times and photos such as Phil posted above.

That is the only reason I had to critique you... anyone can type for hours online, but as was said above, if you're gonna talk the talk, eventually you have to walk the walk

Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
The only reason I asked for a photo is because that's the only thing that proves the condition of your car... yes someone (in this case you) could post a photo in the sun after tons of filler wax layers have been applied to hide everything, but then that someone is not fooling just me, rather themselves.

Glad you didn't take it personally as all I was trying to say that everyone, including yourself, who's been doing this for a while, whether taking care of their own cars or detailing others', needs to expand their horizons and see if there's something better out there, something new to learn, new product to try, etc. If you keep saying you're the best to care for your own car(s), I can't trust you as I haven't seen/read about your technique, photos, etc. If Moe, Phil or numerous other quality detailers, on this site and others, say that, I can trust that as I've seen their display of knowledge numerous times and photos such as Phil posted above.

That is the only reason I had to critique you... anyone can type for hours online, but as was said above, if you're gonna talk the talk, eventually you have to walk the walk
I shouldn't be doing this at work but here's a few pics I took a month ago.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 AM
All that shows is a washed car... I was asking for photos in direct light (sun, camera flash, etc.) such as these...

Old 05-13-2008, 12:58 PM
All that shows is a washed car... I was asking for photos in direct light (sun, camera flash, etc.) such as these...

Ok, I see what you're after. I don't have any pics like that and I'm not gonna go out and take some just to prove a point. I can tell you this, I do not have swirls or spiderwebbed paint. I'm out of this conversation as it has gotten past the point of usefulness.

Take care and keep up the good work.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:00 PM
JoshVette is on a distinguished road
Ok, I see what you're after. I don't have any pics like that and I'm not gonna go out and take some just to prove a point. I can tell you this, I do not have swirls or spiderwebbed paint. I'm out of this conversation as it has gotten past the point of usefulness.

Take care and keep up the good work.

Ice, why leave the conversation now??

You say you're better then anyone with experience so why leave the conversation?

When you wash your cars do you two buckets when you wash your car? do your buckets have a grit guards in them? do you use a leaf blower or compressed air to dry it? do you use water based products or oil based? do you use micro fiber anything? do you use carnuaba's or polymer waxes?

Just cause it's clean doesn't mean it's swirl free.

If you don't have swirls then you obviously polish your car with a machine? do you use a rotary or an orbital machine to polish it? Do you know if your Lexus clear coat is hard or soft? If you've polished out the swirls you'll definately know if the clear is hard or soft.

Just curiuos?

Old 05-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by JoshVette
Ice, why leave the conversation now??

You say you're better then anyone with experience so why leave the conversation?

When you wash your cars do you two buckets when you wash your car? do your buckets have a grit guards in them? do you use a leaf blower or compressed air to dry it? do you use water based products or oil based? do you use micro fiber anything? do you use carnuaba's or polymer waxes?

Just cause it's clean doesn't mean it's swirl free.

If you don't have swirls then you obviously polish your car with a machine? do you use a rotary or an orbital machine to polish it? Do you know if your Lexus clear coat is hard or soft? If you've polished out the swirls you'll definately know if the clear is hard or soft.

Just curiuos?
Uphill battle my friend... I'm done helping closed-minded people as of this second

Thanks for supporting my point though

Old 05-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Guys, I don't think it's constructive to rip on this guy. I know it's hit a nerve because all of us professionals have heard about DIY detailers, even other so-called pros, claiming the same thing, but I think it's lack of experience and education. No car I know of is swirl-free after a few washes...NO CAR. You can always manage microswirls but you cannot avoid them. We all know that. So just because ice's opinion varies with ours, doesn't mean we should be hard on him. He's not a pro, at least I don't think he is, so as long as he's happy with his work, that's all the matters.

Ice, you opened a can of worms dude. This forum has got the true-blue detailers that don't put up with mis-information like other boards. I'm very proud of how this board is coming along. Several of the new guys like JoshVette and lecchilo, have proven themselves as true professionals that are here to help and give solid info. So I can see Josh and Ivan's point clearly. It makes the work of the pro detailer seem undermined and easy when a DIY tries to step in and say he does work that is better than some professionals. We can all agree, that statement can be true, it depends on who the so-called professional is. But put your car in the hands of a real detailer, and I promise you the results will be different. I commend all of you for displaying your passion but let's remember we’re all on the same team here and we need to help each other UNDERSTAND detailing.

Ice, it's going to be difficult for you to show how your paint looks anyway since your have the pearl white lexus paint.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Guys, I don't think it's constructive to rip on this guy. I know it's hit a nerve because all of us professionals have heard about DIY detailers, even other so-called pros, claiming the same thing, but I think it's lack of experience and education. No car I know of is swirl-free after a few washes...NO CAR. You can always manage microswirls but you cannot avoid them. We all know that. So just because ice's opinion varies with ours, doesn't mean we should be hard on him. He's not a pro, at least I don't think he is, so as long as he's happy with his work, that's all the matters.

Ice, you opened a can of worms dude. This forum has got the true-blue detailers that don't put up with mis-information like other boards. I'm very proud of how this board is coming along. Several of the new guys like JoshVette and lecchilo, have proven themselves as true professionals that are here to help and give solid info. So I can see Josh and Ivan's point clearly. It makes the work of the pro detailer seem undermined and easy when a DIY tries to step in and say he does work that is better than some professionals. We can all agree, that statement can be true, it depends on who the so-called professional is. But put your car in the hands of a real detailer, and I promise you the results will be different. I commend all of you for displaying your passion but let's remember we’re all on the same team here and we need to help each other UNDERSTAND detailing.

Ice, it's going to be difficult for you to show how your paint looks anyway since your have the pearl white lexus paint.
Thanks for being fair.
My only point is this, a motivated person can learn to do most anything, even detail a car. I am happy with my own work. That's how I am. I have cut my own hair since I was a teen. I get compliments for being really groomed. Same deal for the car. I consider myself good enough to not need a detailer. Why should anyone have an issue with that? I don't get it. The reason I'm out of this conversation is the cynacism I'm getting. Please, I don't have any time for that. I'm giving you guys props for what you say you provide. Great! Why can't someone do an adequate enough job to not need detailers? I looked at my paint in direct glare today and there are no swirls. Whoever this guy is for virtually calling me a liar needs to get a life!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Flyer007 is on a distinguished road
Ice your last post corrected your initial point which tweaked the pros. You do a good enough job for you to be satisfied.

I am a totally new DIY learner here. At this point in time I am lucky to have an Arctic Silver pcar so it easier to have a great looking non perfect car. I also know that no matter how much I learn I will never be able to "show prep" my car. I just don't have that level of detail in me.
Through the great help on this site, I am able to get my car to the point that people walk by it with a wow! factor. That is good enough for me, even though I see the little things that bug me.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:58 PM
tanman will become famous soon enough
Just picked up my car from California Detailing in SF. I must say I'm very pleased. If I can only figure out how to upload images, you guys can see and let me know what you think. I'll keep trying, or let my ten year old nephew do it for me. It was a typical clay bar, cleaner, wax process, the interesting part was the wax Jim used. He described it as aircraft wax, something designed for airplanes. I can only guess it dries harder on the car. He said it is part of a new process he calls "drive with pride" line of detailing products. I really like how deep the wax looks on the car. Even today, very sunny , metallic blue looks very dark. Usually on very bright days my car looks lighter, the metallic popping more. Anyway, very good experience, and would highly recommend.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Flyer007
Ice your last post corrected your initial point which tweaked the pros. You do a good enough job for you to be satisfied.
EXACTLY!!!

Ice I was not in any way disagreeing with your statements that everyone can learn, that you're happy with your own work, and that you have great drive and enthusiasm about detailing your own cars. The issue was the fact that you said you're the best detailer for your car, to which I had doubt seeing as how all people with similar comments from past experience have no clue what a properly detailed car should look like, and follow a standard of "amazing" that isn't up to par with properly detailed vehicles.

In short, I appreciate your desire to take care of your own cars, but require proof when you say you keep cars swirl free and "perfect" for years with your own great technique that's the best thing ever to happen to your cars' paint. I require proof, as I said before, due to the fact that past experience has thought me to think otherwise... you proving your skill to me, or actually not proving the perfection you claim about your paint, not only benefits me in the sense that I am actually doing a better job than average people and I can help them out with a great detail, but should also benefit you in that you can expand your mind a bit and open up to learning about new products, tools, techniques, etc. Josh asked all the obvious questions that anyone doing great detailing work should know by heart... I fart menzerna by now hhaha

Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
I fart menzerna by now hhaha
You didn't have to go there

Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
You didn't have to go there
Don't mess with my trade secrets

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what do you guys pay for detailing?