Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Detailing Trinity: Claying, Polishing, and Waxing your way to a proper finish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:30 AM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
cool info man

Old 07-10-2008, 09:46 PM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
Hi Moe,

Thanks for the write up. You don't mention Sealant as part of your processes. Why is that?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FLY996
Hi Moe,

Thanks for the write up. You don't mention Sealant as part of your processes. Why is that?
I've been using carnauba since 1997 and am partial to its look. I'll have a trusted fellow detailer add some more info about synthetics

Old 07-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
Moe, What Carnauba formula you use? Like brand?

Old 07-11-2008, 02:11 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Linko4
Moe, What Carnauba formula you use? Like brand?
I like zymol and have been using it since 1997.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the replied.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:48 AM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
I've been using carnauba since 1997 and am partial to its look. I'll have a trusted fellow detailer add some more info about synthetics

Would it make sense to seal then top with carnauba?

Old 07-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by FLY996
Would it make sense to seal then top with carnauba?
Well, the reason guys are sealing and then adding carnauba is because they want greater lasting protection from a carnauba. So they want the longevity of a sealant and the look of a carnauba. I'm not sure about the other carnauba waxes, but zymol in particular will last months depending on which wax you get. That's why I've never applied anything before the carnauba application.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:54 AM
TT Tommy is on a distinguished road
Moe,

I'm running low on Natty's Blue for my black Turbo and was thinking of trying Zymol. Do you think it's any better for black?
Also where would be the best place to buy it if I make the switch?

thanks!
TW

Old 07-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by TT Tommy
Moe,

I'm running low on Natty's Blue for my black Turbo and was thinking of trying Zymol. Do you think it's any better for black?

thanks!
TW
I'm not familiar with Natty's Blue. I've heard good things about it though. I'll be more than glad to get you zymol titanium or concours and have you try it out. If you're not happy, I'll buy it back.

P.S. You're probably 15 min. away from me, so I'll be happy to get your the products you need

Here are a few wax kits:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...its/Categories

Old 07-12-2008, 10:01 AM
TT Tommy is on a distinguished road
Awesome!

tw

Old 07-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Grouse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Tommy
Moe,

thanks!
TW

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
I'm not familiar with Natty's Blue. I've heard good things about it though. I'll be more than glad to get you zymol titanium or concours and have you try it out. If you're not happy, I'll buy it back.

P.S. You're probably 15 min. away from me, so I'll be happy to get your the products you need

Here are a few wax kits:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...its/Categories
FWIW i have used 4 cans of Natty's blue. It a good product but nothing in comparison to any of the zymol or swiss wax line.

If your going to spring for it I highly recomend either concours (zymol) or concourso(swiss wax) I have both.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:15 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sure this is going to come off as amateur, but I am one so..........

I have never clayed before, rather just rubbed the car down with mineral spirits and a microfiber. It does a great job of removing contaminants like tar and sap, and is much faster. It's never done any damage to the paint, at least it looks like it hasn't and leaves it nice and smooth as a prep. Is this a bad thing to do?

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 07-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
I'm sure this is going to come off as amateur, but I am one so..........

I have never clayed before, rather just rubbed the car down with mineral spirits and a microfiber. It does a great job of removing contaminants like tar and sap, and is much faster. It's never done any damage to the paint, at least it looks like it hasn't and leaves it nice and smooth as a prep. Is this a bad thing to do?
Mineral Spirits is basically a solvent. I think it's used to clean metals and from a little reading on wikipedia, artists use it to thin their paint. As for application on a car, I would think it's fine to do spot treatment to remove tar or something, but as a whole vehicle wipedown, not sure what the advantage would be.

The thing about clay is that it removes embedded materials such as brake dust, acid rain etching, salt residue if you live close to the ocean, etc. I'm not sure how effective mineral spirits would be to remove embedded semi-metallic brake particles that land on your car over time. Think of clay as a more mechanical cleaner as the quartz is abrasive.

Such an amateur question.... Just kidding....no question is ever too amateur

Old 07-13-2008, 12:27 PM
J_Edwards will become famous soon enoughJ_Edwards will become famous soon enough
I have been using solvents to prep paint for a while, and I haven't ever witnessed them doing the same thing as a clay. Obviously they do similar stuff, but when it comes to removing bonded contaminants like rail dust, tree sap, etc... clay is what you need to do the job.

Once you really get the process down, it really isn't very time consuming, especially if you stay on top of it. It is only when you let the paint surface get really hammered with bonded stuff that it makes the claying process take a while.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Detailing Trinity: Claying, Polishing, and Waxing your way to a proper finish