Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Help--Sharpie and Laquer!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:47 AM
ridgebk995 is on a distinguished road
Help--Sharpie and Laquer!

I bought a '94 RS America and the previous owner had Pat Long sign the rear fender with a sharpie and then the owner lacquered it with an aerosol can--now its yellowing.

I want to remove the lacquer and the sharpie signature. Should I wet sand it and then polish?

Mark

Old 02-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ridgebk995
I bought a '94 RS America and the previous owner had Pat Long sign the rear fender with a sharpie and then the owner lacquered it with an aerosol can--now its yellowing.

I want to remove the lacquer and the sharpie signature. Should I wet sand it and then polish?

Mark
Just take it to a reputable body shop. It'll save you the headache. They should be able to use a solvent to remove the spray paint and then polish and wax the area.

My worry is the sharpie's pigment permanently discoloring the original clear coat.

That's why if the body shop does it, they can also repaint the whole fender to match or do a spot blend.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:55 PM
SoCal911 is on a distinguished road
I need to get my self one of those sharpie's