Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Pressure Washer, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:17 PM
nlpamg is on a distinguished road
Pressure Washer, Anyone?

Hey guys,

I wanted to see if any of you used a pressure washer in washing your car.

I want to buy one, but I'm worried that it may strip my paint, etc.

Would you recommend using a pressure washer?

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Got_Leather
I bought the Snap-on pressure washer from Costco for $120. I occasionally do mobile detail and it works perfectly. Not too loud, but still has plenty of power for wheels, tires, wheel wells, and cutting down on time.
cool, thanks. so I take it you only use it on the wheels, tires and wheel wells? do you use it anywhere on the paint?

thanks!

Old 09-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nlpamg
cool, thanks. so I take it you only use it on the wheels, tires and wheel wells? do you use it anywhere on the paint?

thanks!
Try and get one w/ no more than 2000 psi....hold your hand in front of the spray at the furthest end of the spray. Bring your hand back close to the beginning of the stream. When it begins to hurt your hand, you know that as close to the car's paint as you want to be

Old 09-17-2009, 08:00 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Hey guys,

I wanted to see if any of you used a pressure washer in washing your car.

I want to buy one, but I'm worried that it may strip my paint, etc.

Would you recommend using a pressure washer?

Thanks.
I use an electric one with 1900 psi pressure. 3 things to know.

1. Pressure washers use less water than directly spraying with a hose. If you use a water deionizer, you will conserve your resin and save money.

2. Pressure washer wands vary in intesnity. If you use a fan or spiral spray, the pressure will NOT damage your paint, even if you accidentally get close.

3. Pressure washers allow you to use attachments like a cam foam sprayer, which greatly enhances foaming action of detergents.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
You want high GPM and low PSI. Having a pressure washer is great, cleans much better. I will tell you that you won't find a detail shop that doesn't have a pressure washer.

John

Old 09-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbywu
I use an electric one with 1900 psi pressure. 3 things to know.

1. Pressure washers use less water than directly spraying with a hose. If you use a water deionizer, you will conserve your resin and save money.

2. Pressure washer wands vary in intesnity. If you use a fan or spiral spray, the pressure will NOT damage your paint, even if you accidentally get close.

3. Pressure washers allow you to use attachments like a cam foam sprayer, which greatly enhances foaming action of detergents.
+1...well said. A little common sense, and the the PW can be your best friend

Old 09-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
Great points by everyone. If you use any kind of water filter, pay attention to the GPM recommendations. When it comes to cleaning, high GPM is important. However, when it comes to using your pressure washer with a water filter, Id recommend keeping the GPM lower. I had a Honda pressure washer which was 2500 psi, 2.5 gpm. This is overkill for washing cars. Ill be switching to an electric one with about 1900psi and 1.5 gpm. This will allow my CR system to last longer due to the lower gpm.

Also, 2500psi will not strip automotive paint, so dont worry about that. The psi is significantly reduced just a couple feet from the nozzle.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:59 PM
thanks for all the replies now! I guess I'll go ahead and buy a cheap 1800psi pressure washer and stand somewhat far away from the car when using it.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Premium Sponsor
thanks for all the replies now! I guess I'll go ahead and buy a cheap 1800psi pressure washer and stand somewhat far away from the car when using it.
You'll be fine and will enjoy a power tool

Old 06-03-2010, 09:53 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Anyone else use the Snap-On pressure washer? I'm mostly concerned with durability. The $100 one I bought from Harbor Freight just pooped out on me this weekend after only a few months of use. Learning more and more you get what you pay for. But on the other hand, I'm not quite ready to dish out $7-800 for a 'nice' one

Any other suggestions?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:30 PM
DetailedDesigns is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bonehead
Anyone else use the Snap-On pressure washer? I'm mostly concerned with durability. The $100 one I bought from Harbor Freight just pooped out on me this weekend after only a few months of use. Learning more and more you get what you pay for. But on the other hand, I'm not quite ready to dish out $7-800 for a 'nice' one

Any other suggestions?
I suggest you shell out enough bones to get a quality pressure washer. I am a fan of the commercial quality electric units. They are low on noise.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DetailedDesigns
I suggest you shell out enough bones to get a quality pressure washer. I am a fan of the commercial quality electric units. They are low on noise.
Such as?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Such as?
Northern Tool and Equipment have some nice electric pressure washers. The basic one starts around $450 iirc and move up to $800ish. The more you spend the better the pump. The better the pump, the longer it will last(typically).

There are electric units that are much nicer and cost much more. But if you're not wanting to spend a bunch they don't really matter.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by DetailedDesigns
Northern Tool and Equipment have some nice electric pressure washers. The basic one starts around $450 iirc and move up to $800ish. The more you spend the better the pump. The better the pump, the longer it will last(typically).

There are electric units that are much nicer and cost much more. But if you're not wanting to spend a bunch they don't really matter.
Thanks for the recs.
This one is pretty damn ugly and looks bulky as all heck, but also looks like it's tough as nails.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0514_200350514

What other 'nicer' ones are you referring to?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the recs.
This one is pretty damn ugly and looks bulky as all heck, but also looks like it's tough as nails.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0514_200350514

What other 'nicer' ones are you referring to?

This is pretty close to what I have.
http://www.unoclean.com/Cam-Spray-30...-3000-PSI.aspx

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pressure Washer, Anyone?