Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Excessive waxing syndrome?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:06 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Excessive waxing syndrome?

This is a great forum and I am hopeful some of the expert detailers can help me with this one.

My AM does not see rain nor dirt (for the most part). I wash it every couple weeks and seem to be waxing it once a month!!

My question is, does it make sense to continue to wax the car monthly, especially as I am not taking the wax off (no need for polish or clay YET)?

Any insight on the proper technique would be much appreciated. I just love the glossy feel of the pain when just waxed!

Thanks

Old 04-04-2010, 12:09 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
It's certainly not a bad thing. You will have incredible water bead with so many coats of wax, and easy to clean. Just make sure that you're using a quality wax that can be layered.

John

Old 04-04-2010, 07:53 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Thanks John-

I was hopeful that it would do two things: 1-Make the car easier to clean and 2-help protect the car (against any scratches, i.e. california duster).

I use gold class. Is there a wax better suited for layering?

Thanks
Eric

Old 04-04-2010, 09:07 AM
agentf1 will become famous soon enoughagentf1 will become famous soon enough
I find Zaino layers the best but if you prefer a carnuaba product give Supernatural or Swissvax a try. There are many nice waxes out there in every price range. I hear some people like P21 100% or Victoria wax to name a few more.

Liquid waxes tend not to layer as good due to the amount of solvents in them. I find sealants better for layering although nothing will layer more than a few layers IMHO. Now every month you are more or less replacing what was lost and is a very good practice.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
This is a great forum and I am hopeful some of the expert detailers can help me with this one.

My AM does not see rain nor dirt (for the most part). I wash it every couple weeks and seem to be waxing it once a month!!

My question is, does it make sense to continue to wax the car monthly, especially as I am not taking the wax off (no need for polish or clay YET)?

Any insight on the proper technique would be much appreciated. I just love the glossy feel of the pain when just waxed!

Thanks
I guess my first question would be why you wax so much? Is it because the look and feel of the car degrades that rapidly, or you simply enjoy bonding with your car.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks John-

I was hopeful that it would do two things: 1-Make the car easier to clean and 2-help protect the car (against any scratches, i.e. california duster).

I use gold class. Is there a wax better suited for layering?

Thanks
Eric
Sorry...should have read this.

Gold Class is an OK wax...you can do much better for the same price point.

einszett Glanz will last much longer and give you that greater protection as well.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...00mL%2C/Detail

You should stray away from the CA duster...does more harm than good IMHO.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Sorry...should have read this.

Gold Class is an OK wax...you can do much better for the same price point.

einszett Glanz will last much longer and give you that greater protection as well.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...00mL%2C/Detail

You should stray away from the CA duster...does more harm than good IMHO.

Moe-
Thank you for the advice on einszett glanz, I will pick some up at your suggestion.

How do you suggest removing very light dust on the car while in the garage. I am carefull with the CA duster, allowing all strands to dangle down and very VERY lightly sweep over the car in a straight motion.

I also do this by hand using a MF for application and sererate MF cloths for removal.

Thanks

Last edited by DetomasoGTS74; 04-04-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by agentf1
I find Zaino layers the best but if you prefer a carnuaba product give Supernatural or Swissvax a try. There are many nice waxes out there in every price range. I hear some people like P21 100% or Victoria wax to name a few more.

Liquid waxes tend not to layer as good due to the amount of solvents in them. I find sealants better for layering although nothing will layer more than a few layers IMHO. Now every month you are more or less replacing what was lost and is a very good practice.
Thanks Agent-I do not use the liquid waxes and could see why they would not layer as well.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Premium Sponsor
Moe-
Thank you for the advice on einszett glanz, I will pick some up at your suggestion.

How do you suggest removing very light dust on the car while in the garage. I am carefull with the CA duster, allowing all strands to dangle down and very VERY lightly sweep over the car in a straight motion.

I also do this by hand using a MF for application and sererate MF cloths for removal.

Thanks
Usually, if there's a fair amount of dust, you don't want to wipe it off with anything. A wash is in order. However, for those times where the car has sat in the garage for a bit and collected non-road dust, then using a natural lamb's wool duster is the way to go. You rub the duster in your hands to create static electricity and then gently twirl it on the paint surface. Repeat the whole process until your car is clean. Our GP Australian Wool Dusters can also be washed with a mild soap and reused many times.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ster-gp/Detail

As for your questions about mf, are you talking about waxing or doing a detail spray wipe down after dusting?

Old 04-05-2010, 03:56 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Surface Dust
To remove light, dry surface dust or pollen without causing scratches; apply very little surface pressure and use a long nap micro fibre towel to ensure the dust lifted from the paint surface will remain in the nap and not on the towel surface thereby causing surface marring, use long strokes in one direction only. Use a product that contains a surfactant; this will lessen surface scratching as they ‘lift’ dust etc into the media used avoiding surface friction.
Use a solution of Optimum No-Rinse (ONR) diluted 1:20 / distilled water in a fine mist spray bottle. To renew the shine - Optimum QD don’t use on a hot paint surface (soon after driving) as this will cause streaking
Note -Dust build-up-with low humidity conditions and friction on the paint surface will cause static electricity (this is exacerbated by the use of polyester (nylon) Micro fibre) resulting in dust attraction to the paint surface.
Unlike most other car dusters which are paraffin wax covered cotton fibres, the GP Wool Duster is an all-wool Australian pelt. Rather than relying on surface tension to hold on to dust, our wool duster simply uses static charges, created by twirling the duster in your hands, to safely lift dust from the surface. Almost no surface pressure is necessary to make it 100% effective.GP Australian Wool Duster
It important to use these methodologies only for the removal of dry surface dust, don’t use if surface has condensation or dew, or if the vehicle has oily road film, road tar, damp pollen or dust, etc in these instances the vehicle surface should be subjected to a conventional car washing process

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet
Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.
© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved

Old 04-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Usually, if there's a fair amount of dust, you don't want to wipe it off with anything. A wash is in order. However, for those times where the car has sat in the garage for a bit and collected non-road dust, then using a natural lamb's wool duster is the way to go. You rub the duster in your hands to create static electricity and then gently twirl it on the paint surface. Repeat the whole process until your car is clean. Our GP Australian Wool Dusters can also be washed with a mild soap and reused many times.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ster-gp/Detail

As for your questions about mf, are you talking about waxing or doing a detail spray wipe down after dusting?
Thanks Moe-

I have both the California Car Duster and a microfiber duster......I am about to throw them both out based on your guidance!

Question, I am about to purchase the Australian Wool Duster, but do I really need the carrying case?

Thanks

Old 04-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Surface Dust
To remove light, dry surface dust or pollen without causing scratches; apply very little surface pressure and use a long nap micro fibre towel to ensure the dust lifted from the paint surface will remain in the nap and not on the towel surface thereby causing surface marring, use long strokes in one direction only. Use a product that contains a surfactant; this will lessen surface scratching as they ‘lift’ dust etc into the media used avoiding surface friction.
Use a solution of Optimum No-Rinse (ONR) diluted 1:20 / distilled water in a fine mist spray bottle. To renew the shine - Optimum QD don’t use on a hot paint surface (soon after driving) as this will cause streaking
Note -Dust build-up-with low humidity conditions and friction on the paint surface will cause static electricity (this is exacerbated by the use of polyester (nylon) Micro fibre) resulting in dust attraction to the paint surface.
Unlike most other car dusters which are paraffin wax covered cotton fibres, the GP Wool Duster is an all-wool Australian pelt. Rather than relying on surface tension to hold on to dust, our wool duster simply uses static charges, created by twirling the duster in your hands, to safely lift dust from the surface. Almost no surface pressure is necessary to make it 100% effective.GP Australian Wool Duster
It important to use these methodologies only for the removal of dry surface dust, don’t use if surface has condensation or dew, or if the vehicle has oily road film, road tar, damp pollen or dust, etc in these instances the vehicle surface should be subjected to a conventional car washing process

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet
Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I like the idea of not touching the car at all and thus will try the Australian Wool Dusters ability to statically pull off the dust. I will let you know how it works!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
ha ha I will add fuel to the fire. You may want to look at layering in sealants with the waxes as well if you really enjoy that slick feeling and deep gloss. I use Optimum opti-seal and meguiars M16 paste wax and love it. I am sure that Moe can help you with a good combo though.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Great, another step! Well, any excuse to work on the car is fine with me. I never have tried the sealants before....let's see what Moe comes back with.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 PM
99C2 is on a distinguished road
Great, another step! Well, any excuse to work on the car is fine with me. I never have tried the sealants before....let's see what Moe comes back with.

DetomasoGTS74:

Nice car, DB9S? I am a beliver that you cannot wax your car enough. I just keep layering on the wax at least once on the weekend.

In between I use a quality Detail Spray with MF towel and that keeps it looking good in between waxes.

Moe's got the good stuff for sure.. Good Luck!

99C2

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Excessive waxing syndrome?