Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Help CR Spotless Water System Not Working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LakersCentral
I guess I'll try again, but the only email I ever sent them they took 3 days to get back to me, with literally a 4 character answer.

Update: I bought an external TDS meter, and tested the water. My normal water was lower than expected, at 250. After going through the CRS system, their "internal" meter read 75 (and was steadily rising at ~1 per 2-3 seconds). After traveling through my whole system (i.e. CRS, garden hose, pressure washer), the external TDS meter showed 100. So either the internal CRS meter is off, or I'm somehow picking up 25ppm along the way. Next step is to pick up a new super high quality garden hose.

p.s. if anyone has any old resin they're gonna throw it, PM me. I may be willing to pay a little to have it shipped to me.
Sounds like your resin is toast. Get a new batch of resin and that should fix your problem. Also, since you're using a pressure washer, make sure your flow through the CR isn't above 40-50psi. That usually helps as well.

Pick up the phone and call Chuck at CR Spotless. He's extremely helpful and cares about his product. A rare combo from a manufacturer now days

Old 02-24-2014, 01:36 AM
LakersCentral is on a distinguished road
I dont know how my resin could be bad. It was the very first time I used the system, purchased only a month ago. I'm certainly not going to put *more* money into a system that hasn't worked very well basically from the start.

I checked to make sure my pressure washer would be ok with the CR system (before I bought either). The manufacturer stated the maximum flow rate is 2 gpm. Mine is at 1.5 gpm. The only thing that isn't brand new in my whole system is the hose from the CR to the pressure washer. So I'm gonna replace that and see what happens.

Last edited by LakersCentral; 03-06-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:17 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
I dont know how my resin could be bad. It was the very first time I used the system, bought directly from CR Spotless a month ago. I'm certainly not going to put *more* money into a system that hasn't worked well from the start.

I checked to make sure my pressure washer would be ok with the CR system (before I bought either). The manufacturer stated the maximum flow rate is 2 gpm. Mine is at 1.5 gpm. The only thing that isn't brand new in my whole system is the hose from the CR to the pressure washer. So I'm gonna replace that and see what happens.
I meant that the resin might have been bad to begin with. CR is really good about their warranty. The unit is simple plumbing...it can't go bad.

Other question, silly one. Do you have it installed correctly?

The clear resin canisters inside, the black gasket should be on top and do you have the metal ring in place the centers the resin canisters?

If you do have it installed correctly, do you see the round indentation in the black gasket from making proper contact with the housing?

As for flow rate, I'm talking about the INPUT from your water source to the CR. Make sure you're not on full turn of the spigot. Most of the time, a 1/4 turn, or less, is sufficient.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 AM
Well I followed instructions to a 'T', and barely turned my spigot 45 degrees. But I'm still not sure why this would matter- the pressure washer on the opposing end controls the overall flow rate... thus insuring water has time to go through the CR system. Or am I somehow mistaken in that logic?

Maybe you're right- maybe the resin was bad to begin with. I truly hope that's the case at this point, because if not I am very disappointed overall.

I realize the unit is (mostly) simple plumbing, yet parts could fail (such as the TDS meter). Also, I never assembled it. It was shipped to me fully assembled, and this was the first run through.

Side note: Unscrewing it was a real *****, until I learned the trick- put the unit on its side and support the blue canister with your off hand, thus relieving any pressure on the threads. It then screws off fairly easy. Before I did that, I couldn't even hammer it undone. I was about to just throw the whole damned thing into the dumpster.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:15 PM
INSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to behold
I have used mine for 4+ years now and never a problem, they are almost goof proof. Try new resin, make sure you have a good seal and whatever other suggestions have been offered and you hopefully should enjoy the benefits accordingly from here on out.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:32 PM
INSman, I see you're in Thousand Oaks. I'm currently in Simi, so I'm thinking we probably have similar water. Approx how many washes do you get out of your CR system before having to change your resin? And what CR model do you have?

Thanks!

p.s. per y'alls advice, i'm gonna contact Chuck @CR and see if he'll exchange my resin.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:32 AM
INSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to behold
INSman, I see you're in Thousand Oaks. I'm currently in Simi, so I'm thinking we probably have similar water. Approx how many washes do you get out of your CR system before having to change your resin? And what CR model do you have?

Thanks!

p.s. per y'alls advice, i'm gonna contact Chuck @CR and see if he'll exchange my resin.
It depends really, my biggest problem is having the resin sit around for too long "wet", I think it's best to drain the water in the canisters if not going to use for a few weeks maybe, still have to confirm that. You should get 25+ washes easily if not more I would guess before seeing a quality differential in the resin and results. You using a pressure washer ?

Old 03-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Yea, pressure washer @1.5 GPM. Before I bought it, I verified with CR that it would work. I do weekly washes, so I'm assuming I wouldn't ever have to drain the resin.

I thought my water would be worse than it is. But a TDS of 250 isn't too bad compared to what I've read a lot of people have. Even those that said their water was at 400 got 10 washes out of their resin. So idk what's up with mine, but 4 washes ain't gonna cut it!

I have the DI-120 model, a single canister system, which CR claims to produce ~100 gallons of DI water. What model do you have?

Old 03-17-2014, 06:38 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
PostEdit: I can see that Moe addressed this earlier. However I'll leave my post since it proves that my nimrod move is indeed possible...

Ok, so I have what I think is a different answer to the OP's question that I didn't see here (if so sorry I missed it)..

Check that you put the cartridge back in the correct direction. (I have the DI-120 version which is a single 20" cartridge). I put mine in upside down by accident (after letting it dry out).

I didn't think you would get water flow if you did that, but Yes you can put it in upside down.

Didn't realize it and my water output was at 400... Couldn't figure out for the life of me what was going on as I'd only used it once and was very careful... estimated only putting 10Gal through it.. Was starting to think my resin was contaminated..

Flipped it around and everything worked normal and as expected and was at less than 5..

Last edited by scatkins; 03-17-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:03 AM
Well... per your guys' advice, I emailed Chuck (the founder of CR Spotless?). That was 2 weeks ago. I have heard nothing back. I had my doubts that I would, since the only other email I sent to him months back, I received literally a one word response.

This latest email was after purchasing his product, so I thought that might be a factor, but no. I wish I had your experience in dealing with Chuck and his product, but I just cant support an expensive product that didn't work well, with a business owner who didn't provide any customer support.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Premium Sponsor
I didn't realize you had the smaller system. How many washes did you get and did you use a pressure washer on all of it?

Old 03-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by scatkins
Moe, if you are talking about LakersCentral.. It was the first time he used the system. So it sounds like he was having out of the box problems..

I should however clarify that if you have the smaller DI-120 like I do it is a single 20" canister where the other CR units are dual. So I imagine if you got one of the two cartridges backwards on those it would act a little stranger but I would think would work until the "good" cartridge resin was depleted. In my case, if it's backwards it just doesn't work.. (I think everything just bypasses the cartridge).
As mentioned before, there are a few occasions where the resin is not doing its job. But the system itself is pretty simple plumbing. You obviously can't flow too much too fast in the smaller unit, and the amount of water output is dependent on volume. But CR is an excellent company and cares about their product I know of Chuck actually driving from San Diego to LA t troubleshoot a filter for one of my clients.

To the OP, please call CR and talk to Crystal and let her know Moe told you to call.