Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Wheel Restoration featuring Optimum and Flitz...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Former Vendor
Nick@Autogeek is on a distinguished road
Wheel Restoration featuring Optimum and Flitz...

Last Saturday Mike Phillips, Jason, and myself tackled the job of cleaning up Bruno Massel's RV.

While Mike got to work with the machine polishing, Jason and myself cleaned up and polished the 6 (MASSIVE!) aluminum wheels. They weren't in too bad of shape, but definitely needed some TLC.

Products Used...

-Makita 18v Cordless Drill w/Buffer Stick Wheel Polishing Tool
-Flitz Aluminum Pre-Clean
-Flitz Metal Polish
-Optimum Metal Polish (New Formula)
-DP Gloss Tire Gel
-Boar's Hair Wheel Brush
-Nitrile Gloves
-Wolfgang Finger Pockets
-Cobra Flex Foam Applicator
-Blue Microfiber Polishing Cloth

First I cleaned the wheel using the Flitz Aluminum Pre-Clean along with the Boar's Hair Wheel Brush. The next step was to polish the wheel using the Buffer Stick Tool along with the Flitz Metal Polish. After about 20 minutes of polishing most of the oxidization was removed but I knew it could look better...

I've been trying to find an excuse to try out the new formula of Optimum's Metal Polish and I figured today was the perfect day to do so. I applied it by hand using the Wolfgang Finger Pockets and thoroughly massaged the product in to the surface. As you can see in the first picture of the dirty finger pockets, the Optimum managed to pull even more oxidization out of the wheel's surface.

After removing the metal polish I grabbed a Blue Microfiber Polishing Cloth and polished the surface to a brilliant shine. I've used most of the metal polishes that we carry, but none have equaled the brilliant shine that the new formula of the Optimum Metal Polish provided. For those of you that have tried the new formula and are not satisfied, here is a tip: After removing the polish, put some muscle in to it and vigorously polish the metal to an even higher gloss shine.

Before....

After....

Old 03-22-2011, 10:15 PM
alexstjo is on a distinguished road
Flitz is great stuff, I used to sell it and know the owner.