Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Help with rotary buffer pads!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 AM
ChrisKaze is infamous around these parts
Help with rotary buffer pads!!

So I was thinking of buying this rotary buffer intro kit:
http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-pad-kit.html

But there are just so many pads! im reading the description and my head is reeling from information overload. So I am to chose 3 pads, I bought a little set of Meguiar's products, a polish, spray on wax, and swirl remover. Can someone that is more adept in this area of expertise share some wisdom and tell me what 3 pads to chose? i am guessing I would use a swirl remover first, with a orange pad, then a green one for polish, and a blue one for wax?

I watched the autogeek guys video and he basically just did everything with a blue pad.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Hayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to behold
I hope you don't mind if I jump in here. But maybe you should hear about Griots Garage's Polisher, unless you have already made you AG purchase. You are on the right path with the pads. The reason the AutoGeek tech used only one pad maybe is because he has a fairly decent surface to work with (I didn't watch it). I guarantee that if he had a rougher surface with known damage he would have had to use more course pads to "cut" through to final shine.

The Griots Polisher, whether 3" or 6" is perfect for the discerning car owners like we are. You cannot burn through on this polisher like you can on typical orbital polishers. And this goes for constant or variable speed polishers like Porter Cable, DeWalt, etc., etc. When to much pressure is applied to the Griots polisher it comes to a stop! And will not allow you to go past a certain pressure to burn through the paint. And if you have ever had someone that doesn't know what they are doing or you have done it yourself,,, you know how hollow that sinking feeling is when you see it.

Check it out Griots Garage Polisher

I have used it on Ferrari's Porsche's and the like,,, and even though I have experience, it is everything it says it is for the beginner.

Last edited by Hayabusa; 03-28-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Go with DA...not rotary

Originally Posted by Hayabusa
I hope you don't mind if I jump in here. But maybe you should hear about Griots Garage's Polisher, unless you have already made you AG purchase. You are on the right path with the pads. The reason the AutoGeek tech used only one pad maybe is because he has a fairly decent surface to work with (I didn't watch it). I guarantee that if he had a rougher surface with known damage he would have had to use more course pads to "cut" through to final shine.

The Griots Polisher, whether 3" or 6" is perfect for the discerning car owners like we are. You cannot burn through on this polisher like you can on typical orbital polishers. And this goes for constant or variable speed polishers like Porter Cable, DeWalt, etc., etc. When to much pressure is applied to the Griots polisher it comes to a stop! And will not allow you to go past a certain pressure to burn through the paint. And if you have ever had someone that doesn't know what they are doing or you have done it yourself,,, you know how hollow that sinking feeling is when you see it.

Check it out Griots Garage Polisher

I have used it on Ferrari's Porsche's and the like,,, and even though I have experience, it is everything it says it is for the beginner.
Great advice. Only thing I would recommend is going with the flex rather than Griot's. If you're on a budget, the the griot's will do. If you can spend the extra $155, then definitely go with the flex. First and last polisher a DIYer will need. Much safer than a rotary and you'll get close to the same results without the risk of burning your paint. Most people don't realize that to fully use a rotary's ability and be at the sweet spot, you need to be operating at 1200-1500 rpm...the DANGER ZONE.

This kit is our best seller and will take care of most anything you throw at it...

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...sh-Kits/Detail

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:14 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
+1 on a Flex 3401

A flex orbital/direct drive would be the best option prior to stepping-up to a rotary polisher (Rotary 101, if you will); this tool was made for light to medium paint correction / renovation, it’s used by EU car manufacturers, much like the Cyclo is for US production line paint correction.

The success generated by the Flex Polisher, XC 3401 VR, that was launched over 3 years ago was marred by only one thing; the ability to use smaller pads with this unit. The new OEM backing plate is being called a 4 inch plate (specifically 4 3/8- inch) the perfect size for 5.5 – inch pads, its expected availability is March 2011

Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 AM
ChrisKaze is infamous around these parts
I saw in the video demonstration the guy put the portercable polisher on his hand and it stopped spinning because he pushed too hard, kind of like what the flex polisher uses. Anyways any of these is going to help me vs doing it by hand. my car isnt that badly scratched it does have some swirls though. (its black)

so basically you use a "cutter pad" to buff out all the scratches, then you put your polisher on, i am guessing the polisher pad is more fine than the cutter pad? after the polisher you move on to a even finer pad for wax? I mean after you "cut" the car you shouldn't be needing that cutter pad for a while, because then you can just polish and wax the car right?

Old 03-29-2011, 01:59 AM
Hayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Great advice. Only thing I would recommend is going with the flex rather than Griot's. If you're on a budget, the the griot's will do. If you can spend the extra $155, then definitely go with the flex. First and last polisher a DIYer will need. Much safer than a rotary and you'll get close to the same results without the risk of burning your paint. Most people don't realize that to fully use a rotary's ability and be at the sweet spot, you need to be operating at 1200-1500 rpm...the DANGER ZONE.

This kit is our best seller and will take care of most anything you throw at it...

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...sh-Kits/Detail

Let me know if I can be of further help.
Nice kit, mate! Tanks for the comp! And the link.