Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Never Used a Wax Before

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:38 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Never Used a Wax Before

Up until recently I had no idea what I was doing was wrong

I used to shampoo and hand polish my car every week

I've since found out I should apply a wax after machine polishing in order to maintain my finish

I'm therefore looking to buy my first machine polishes, and a wax that will stand up to the British weather

I've been using meguiars hand polishes and quite like them, so I was thinking about using their machine polishes

Am I going to like these products too, and should I also use their pads?

I've heard the 3M backing plates are meant to be the best ones?

And finally, what wax should I go for?

I'd like durability and have been told Collinite 476 should be good

I have highly polished split rims on my car and would like to protect them too

Could I use Collinite on my wheels with any success?

Anything else I need to know?
Thanks

Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
I think for the average guy that just wants to clean and shine his car, OTC stuff is fine.

But if you're going to have a nice car, spend the time to care for it, might as well use higher quality products that will produce better and more lasting results. You'll be putting the same amount of time whether you use cheap stuff or good stuff.

From what you've said, let me know your budget and time. I can tell you that Menzerna polishes are the industry standard since they're predictable and produce consistent and amazing results. Getting a quality polisher such as a flex is an investment that last decades and will not become obsolete any time soon.

As for waxes, it's up to you. You want a warm look with lots of depth, get a carnauba. You want shine and gloss, get a synthetic. Hope this starts you on the right path.

Here are our best selling kits for what you're looking for:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...sh-Kits/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ahboard/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...Wax-Kit/Detail

Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Thanks Moe

I've recently bought an orbital polisher. Not sure if you'd know the brand as I'm in England

It's got a 1300w motor with soft start, etc, so it's a nice piece of kit. I just need to start using it now (after I practice on old cars that is)

I've heard about Menerza, and believe it's available in England too. But being a newbie, I get confused easily

My car is an '01 Basalt Black 996TT

I wash it weekly, and polish it by hand. It has a better than average finish, but obviously it still has minor swirls

As far as budget, I don't really know. Probably a step or two higher than OTC to begin with. I think it'll be a steady transition for me. No doubt that'll change once I start getting into it. To begin with though, I'll probably get a finishing and light polishing compound. What do you reckon?

As far as time is concerned, I'm happy to give the car a washing every weekend, as that's what I do at present. But I'd like to maintain it's appearance for a little longer than one week, which is all I currently get due to not waxing

What polishes go with which pads, and what type of wax would be 'better' on my black car?

Previously, I've used a cheap shampoo. I did this as there was no layer of protection to worry about

As I've now found out about waxes I guess it would now become more important to use a quality shampoo, especially on my paint and wheels

Old 05-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
Since you're in England, you might want to check out Detailing World, its a UK based detailing forum.

Menzerna is great and you should be able to get it. I've also read good things about the 3M UK polishes which are different from the 3M US polishes.

Last edited by Dan1; 05-02-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:03 AM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
after a polish, I'd give Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 a try too! love that stuff! Protects well and lasts longer than many waxes!

Last edited by randomquickness; 05-02-2011 at 10:25 AM.