Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

F430 engine detail - how to?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:00 PM
JonasJordan1 is on a distinguished road
F430 engine detail - how to?

Hi,

I am looking to detail a f430 engine tomorrow and wondered what parts have to be covered?

If anyone can give me a quick hint that be great

Thanks

Old 07-20-2015, 06:25 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
I the engine is not to dirty, I would use the product called Engine from Polish Angel.

It is a spray on, hit with a brush or rag and wipe off. No water required or necessary. It also leaves a very fine layer of protection behind.

I use it on my Porsche because using water back there is a PITA with the air box and belts exposed.

Originally Posted by JonasJordan1
Hi,

I am looking to detail a f430 engine tomorrow and wondered what parts have to be covered?

If anyone can give me a quick hint that be great

Thanks

Old 07-20-2015, 01:59 PM
JonasJordan1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tip.
Didn't have time to
order anything, ended up using optimum no rinse wash and wax.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:06 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
For future reference

As long as you use common sense by avoiding a direct strong stream of water (or a pressure washer / steamer at close range) directly into these components, you will be fine.

• Alternator
• Alarm Housing
• Intercooler
• Battery terminals (if not covered already)
• Induction kit cone (if you have one)
• Coil packs
• Electronic control units (ECU)
• GM Opti-Spark Distributor
• On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) port
• Air intake systems (exposed air filters) can be covered with plastic wrap and a rubber band
• Avoid getting water in the spark plug recesses or the dip-stick opening (seal with foil)

Notes:
1. This is not an exhaustive list, nor is it marque specific, if in doubt use a water repellent (WD-40) and exercise common sense
2. Use cling-film and then tin foil for the alternator, alarm housing etc as the foil is easier to mould and has greater protection properties. I suggest you use a plastic bag for the induction kit and just wrap it tight over the end to stop any water ingress.
3. For the intercooler the best way to cover is to get a flat sheet of cardboard and just cut it to size so it fits and covers the fins. Cardboard will normally protect the fins for the duration of the washing. It will get soaked so discard after the wash.
4. If you are uncertain of how to proceed on something not included here; talk with somebody who has marque /model /year specific knowledge.

Engine Bay Detailing -
http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2015...detailing.html

Last edited by TOGWT; 07-23-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:49 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
That will certainly work if there isn't too much grime to contend with.

I have used the regular ONR on my engine for a pre show wipe down once its clean.

Originally Posted by JonasJordan1
Thanks for the tip.
Didn't have time to
order anything, ended up using optimum no rinse wash and wax.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:50 AM
Thanks, you are always spot on in your tech posts. Not sure how you stay on top of everything

Originally Posted by TOGWT
For future reference

As long as you use common sense by avoiding a direct strong stream of water (or a pressure washer / steamer at close range) directly into these components, you will be fine.

• Alternator
• Alarm Housing
• Intercooler
• Battery terminals (if not covered already)
• Induction kit cone (if you have one)
• Coil packs
• Electronic control units (ECU)
• GM Opti-Spark Distributor
• On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) port
• Air intake systems (exposed air filters) can be covered with plastic wrap and a rubber band
• Avoid getting water in the spark plug recesses or the dip-stick opening (seal with foil)

Notes:
1. This is not an exhaustive list, nor is it marque specific, if in doubt use a water repellent (WD-40) and exercise common sense
2. Use cling-film and then tin foil for the alternator, alarm housing etc as the foil is easier to mould and has greater protection properties. I suggest you use a plastic bag for the induction kit and just wrap it tight over the end to stop any water ingress.
3. For the intercooler the best way to cover is to get a flat sheet of cardboard and just cut it to size so it fits and covers the fins. Cardboard will normally protect the fins for the duration of the washing. It will get soaked so discard after the wash.
4. If you are uncertain of how to proceed on something not included here; talk with somebody who has marque /model /year specific knowledge.