6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/detailing-30/)
-   -   Emblem Removal??? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/detailing/39198-emblem-removal.html)

Turbochris 12-24-2005 09:55 AM

Emblem Removal???

So I just got my 2001 TT. The P.O. had installed the GT 2 emblem on the rear. I took the heat gun and heated it up nice and warm to remove it but when it starts to come off....it wants to leave the nice thick foam adhesive backing on the car....so I stopped. If I continue....the letters will come off and leave the backing.....whats the best way to then remove the backing without harming the paint?

Chris Barton

XLR82XS 12-24-2005 10:11 AM

On all my vehicles on use the heat gun and dental floss for badge removal and then goo-gone for adhesive removal (carefully)
After that I just wax up the area and ...... POW - done.

(You may need to rub/pull off some of the thick adhesive before using goo-gone)

Turbochris 12-24-2005 10:41 AM

Ahhh, dental floss......good tip. I also forgot about the goo gone....

Thanks

Chris

Originally posted by XLR82XS
On all my vehicles on use the heat gun and dental floss for badge removal and then goo-gone for adhesive removal (carefully)

XLR82XS 12-24-2005 02:58 PM

No problem. :cool:

MeanMachine 12-24-2005 04:24 PM

Re: Emblem Removal???

Originally posted by Turbochris
So I just got my 2001 TT. The P.O. had installed the GT 2 emblem on the rear. I took the heat gun and heated it up nice and warm to remove it but when it starts to come off....it wants to leave the nice thick foam adhesive backing on the car....so I stopped. If I continue....the letters will come off and leave the backing.....whats the best way to then remove the backing without harming the paint?

Chris Barton

Correct i did this to reomve my dub 22" emblems on the cayenne polished it later great results

MoeMistry 01-04-2006 02:35 AM

Dental floss, goo gone, clay, polish, wax.

XLR82XS 01-04-2006 11:30 AM

Right on Moe!

Marc 01-04-2006 11:54 AM

Originally posted by XLR82XS

Thats my methode just make sure the floss goes through easily and dont pry the emblum it can scratch the paint let the heat do the work..

drjoe 06-04-2006 06:04 AM

use glide floss..its a gore material that wont break...the cheap stuff just shreds...you should be using the glide to floss anyways..lol:D

MoeMistry 06-04-2006 09:52 AM

Glide is AWSOME. It works great on teeth and removes pesky emblems. Glide....get yourself a pack today! :)

996fury 08-12-2006 07:11 PM

+1 Goo-gone works wonders. Just make sure the glue to warm, keep rubbing and bammm; it's off ;)