Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Emblem Removal???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 09:55 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Emblem Removal???

So I just got my 2001 TT. The P.O. had installed the GT 2 emblem on the rear. I took the heat gun and heated it up nice and warm to remove it but when it starts to come off....it wants to leave the nice thick foam adhesive backing on the car....so I stopped. If I continue....the letters will come off and leave the backing.....whats the best way to then remove the backing without harming the paint?

Chris Barton

Old 12-24-2005, 10:11 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
On all my vehicles on use the heat gun and dental floss for badge removal and then goo-gone for adhesive removal (carefully)
After that I just wax up the area and ...... POW - done.

(You may need to rub/pull off some of the thick adhesive before using goo-gone)

Old 12-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Ahhh, dental floss......good tip. I also forgot about the goo gone....

Thanks

Chris

Originally posted by XLR82XS
On all my vehicles on use the heat gun and dental floss for badge removal and then goo-gone for adhesive removal (carefully)

Old 12-24-2005, 02:58 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
No problem.

Old 12-24-2005, 04:24 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Emblem Removal???

Originally posted by Turbochris
So I just got my 2001 TT. The P.O. had installed the GT 2 emblem on the rear. I took the heat gun and heated it up nice and warm to remove it but when it starts to come off....it wants to leave the nice thick foam adhesive backing on the car....so I stopped. If I continue....the letters will come off and leave the backing.....whats the best way to then remove the backing without harming the paint?

Chris Barton
Correct i did this to reomve my dub 22" emblems on the cayenne polished it later great results

Old 01-04-2006, 02:35 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Dental floss, goo gone, clay, polish, wax.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Thumbs up

Right on Moe!

Old 01-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Originally posted by XLR82XS

Thats my methode just make sure the floss goes through easily and dont pry the emblum it can scratch the paint let the heat do the work..

Old 06-04-2006, 06:04 AM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
use glide floss..its a gore material that wont break...the cheap stuff just shreds...you should be using the glide to floss anyways..lol

Old 06-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Glide is AWSOME. It works great on teeth and removes pesky emblems. Glide....get yourself a pack today!

Old 08-12-2006, 07:11 PM
996fury is on a distinguished road
+1 Goo-gone works wonders. Just make sure the glue to warm, keep rubbing and bammm; it's off