The first post!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
The first post!

Great new section, and I'd like to kick off the first post with a little Porsche factory information.

After our visit to the factory we learned some interesting things, such as..
The employees are allowed to drink beer on their breaks. Also there are two levels to the assembly line, it starts off up top and works its way down the line, facing forward, its then lowered down to the bottom level, and works its way back to the front of the building. After its lowered and prior touched it is spun around to face forward as the guys work on it. They said there is no special reason for that other then its more appealing to the workers when its facing forward.

Other interesting things we learned, there are about 40 guys that assemble engines. Each guy assembles two engines each day, that one and only guy assembles that engine from start to finish. As he starts builging the line moves and all the parts he needs for that engine are along the right side wall. As the line moves each tool, power tool, or torque wrench, socket, etc. is above him, those tools remain and are only used for installing the specific parts along the way. After the engine is finished it is then tested and broken in. Its tested for HP and must come within 1% of its quoted HP rating. In a separate room near the engine assembly, one guys specific job is to randomly choose one engine from any of the 40 workers. That engine is thoroughly tested and then fully disassembled back into parts. This is how they test the employees for job quality.

Also on the 911 floor, there is only 1 robot on the entire line, its sole job is to pick up the windshield and adhere it to car. Thats it!

Thats all for now... here is a little pic of my wife & I at the Factory, it was a great experience, I highly suggest a tour if you are ever in Germany.

Last edited by Kevin M; 09-21-2007 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:26 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Thanks for the report! Very interested info. That is one tour I have planed to do in the near future.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:41 PM
DaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really nice
Just RX'd my reservation in Nov !

Can't wait

Old 09-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks for the report! Very interested info. That is one tour I have planed to do in the near future.
Your welcome, glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by DaveKrek
Just RX'd my reservation in Nov !

Can't wait
Great to hear it Dave, be sure to give yourself a extra 30 minutes prior to your scheduled tour time. You have to park a good 10 minute walk away, and even with my navigation finding the specific area wasn't easy.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:08 PM
bill930p is on a distinguished road
Planning on going while in Germany next year.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.