Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Will the 355 Spyder Be a Collectible Ferrari?

Old 02-29-2008, 06:29 PM
UBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really nice
Will the 355 Spyder Be a Collectible Ferrari?

I just looked at a super-low mileage 355 F1 Spyder in mint condition at a very reasonable price. I am wondering whether the prices on the 355 have started to bottom out. It would be nothing for me to pick up this car. I'm wondering if it will likely appreciate in value in the coming 10-15 years. It seems to me that the 355 is the pinnacle of the old line of V8 Ferraris (308, 328, 348, 355), much the same way that the 993 Turbo was the pinnacle of the old 911 series. On the other hand, the V8 Ferraris have not been all that collectible in the past. I'd appreciate hearing the opinions of all the F experts we have here. Thanks.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:33 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
I'm not an expert...but I just want to say that I love the 355's...there's something about those cars...they stand out a lot more...

Old 02-29-2008, 09:58 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by UBoat Commander
On the other hand, the V8 Ferraris have not been all that collectible in the past.
F40, 288 GTO?

I think it will be, it is one of the best looking modern F cars. It might just take some time.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:15 PM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
F355=sex imo.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Always felt the 355 spider is the best looking of the current spiders.

Buy it. You'll love it.

However, you did not state the year and in 355 parlance that's a critical number for identifying inherent problems.

Make sure you are aware of them all and which of them has been corrected before you make the plunge.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:46 PM
UBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really nice
It's a '98, which I believe was the last year or second to last year.

This would be a car that I would rarely drive. It's got 6k miles and I'd want to keep it low.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by SSNISTR
F40, 288 GTO?
Of course, but 308, 328, 348 not so much.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:10 PM
///Milan is on a distinguished road
I don't know, I would say 6k miles is "super low" mileage. As far as a collectible, yes, but I wouldn't expect the prices to become absolutely ridiculous. They'll probably hover around where they are now.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:34 AM
JizJizJiz is on a distinguished road

This would be a car that I would rarely drive. It's got 6k miles and I'd want to keep it low.
Yup, second to last year. I do believe the 355 prices are bottoming out, but I feel like the 6-speed will be more "collectible" than the F1, assuming that the 355 becomes a collector's car in the first place. There seems to be plenty of them on the used market at any given time (when I was shopping around casually for one a couple of months ago, there were about 8 late-year Spyders for sale locally in Southern California).

Old 03-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough

That's a good year. 99 was the last year as it them folded into the 360's.

Still need to have it well checked.

Did you mention transmission type? 6 speed is ok but F1 can have problems. It was the first year, and it has some issues.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Unofrtunately it's the F1 and I have heard of problems with the early F1 trannys.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:14 PM
CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !
Sorry, but no

The 355 will never be a collectible. First, there were just too many of them produced. Second, while a very good car, it's still just "transportation" among the cognoscenti. I realize, of course, that for most, the 355 (indeed, any Ferrari) is the achievement of a dream. But, within the Ferrari world, I don't think you'll hear anyone mention the 355 in the same breath as the "classics". So, don't buy it because you think it will appreciate and become a priceless piece of automotive art.

That said, if you're just looking for an entry-level Ferrari, the 355 is, IMO, the best place to start. Not terribly expensive. Mostly, if not fully depreciated. Excellent handling. Appealing styling. Wonderful engine and sound. Good parts availability. Dealers and independent service organizations also have good experience with them.

People talk about how much the cost of ownership is for Ferraris. They are pricey to maintain and operate. And, while it may be true that one can find more bang for the buck in the performance department, Ferraris are still on the highest rung in the automotive world. For many, ownership is a lifelong dream. And, as the adage goes, if you don't do it today, you'll only be one day older when you do. Living with an Italian can be exasperating and frustrating, but also rewarding.

CW

Old 03-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Unofrtunately it's the F1 and I have heard of problems with the early F1 trannys.
Be very careful. The initial F1 is a trick waiting to happen.

The F1 pump alone is around $8K-$10K, and they go bad!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 04:47 PM
TheCreditMan has a spectacular aura aboutTheCreditMan has a spectacular aura aboutTheCreditMan has a spectacular aura about
Ferrari made a lot of these things so it will take some time before they are considered "collectible" in the same sense as, for example, a Dino.

BTW, one of the best cars I've ever owned in terms of fun was a 1999 355 Fiorano Spider; #52 of 100 manual six speed version. Great car!

Old 03-01-2008, 04:52 PM
jjparkusa is on a distinguished road
I would agree that there is no way that the 355 will be a collectible. The 360 was such a better car that the 355 will be like the 996 of Ferraris. Like almost any car, you should not buy it for the value but for the enjoyment.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will the 355 Spyder Be a Collectible Ferrari?