Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Question about insurance, accidents and depreciated car value.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:18 AM
E39 ///M Power is on a distinguished road
Question about insurance, accidents and depreciated car value.

so my friend's bentley was backed into a couple of day ago. i'm not sure how bad the damage is, but he estimates at least $40k to repair, plus two months in the shop.

insurance will cover it, but my friend's concern is that after it is fixed, it will be worth significantly less than what it was worth before the accident. i'm thinking the solution might be to just have the insurer buy the car at pre-accident value, and then my friend can go out and buy another bentley.

has anyone here faced this situation before? i'm asking over here because i think the same issue applies to anyone with a really high end car.

thanks in advance. PM is fine if you'd rather not discuss it on the board.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Tradical is on a distinguished road
The insurance company will not be interested in buying the Bentley. Unfortunately the car is going to depreciate significantly because of the accident. The car will never be the same. You can either live with it or sell and move on. I had a similar thing happen to me.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:58 PM
ttowsontt will become famous soon enough
you can sue for diminished value, this is very common and the insurance company will pay providing the insured has enough insurance. this happened to me when my lotus was rear ended, unfortunately the idiot had state minimum. google diminished car value and hire a company to do an appraisal, should be around $300