Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

F360 F1 Engine Stop Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Victor Li is on a distinguished road
F360 F1 Engine Stop Problem

Hi,
Recently I found out some problem with my F360.
When I cruise very slowly in the carpar with dear 1 (F1 gearbox), the car will suddenly stop. I have to restared the engine again. Yesterday even worst, when I pass thru' the "hump" in the carpark, the engine stopped and the "check engine" light on. So I tried to restart the car and after several trial, I can start the car up.
So I would like to know what's wrong with car? Is it related to using gear 1 at very low speed the car will easily stop?
I just finished my yealy service 1 weeks ago and there is no problem at all for my car and the engine.
Victor

Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Vicktor,

What service was done to your car, and was anything done to your clutch?

Try this also. Open your engine compartment and then securely close it. Then try starting it. There is a switch in the top part of the lid that wants full closure. Try that.

Do the same for the front bonnet. It may be a switch not seating properly, or it could be an issue with the F1!

Keep us posted.

BTW, get more time with your car before you jump to a Capristo. It can be LOUD!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:29 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
how many miles is on the current clutch? did the tech read the % of clutch left?

Old 09-06-2008, 03:46 AM
Originally Posted by Gcalo
Vicktor,

What service was done to your car, and was anything done to your clutch?

Try this also. Open your engine compartment and then securely close it. Then try starting it. There is a switch in the top part of the lid that wants full closure. Try that.

Do the same for the front bonnet. It may be a switch not seating properly, or it could be an issue with the F1!

Keep us posted.

BTW, get more time with your car before you jump to a Capristo. It can be LOUD!
Thanks. But it happens not so often. Only experienced twice after I had the car (I've the car for only 1 month). Happens when the speed it very very slow in the carpark and engaged with gear 1.
Sometimes when there is a slope in the carpark when using gear 2, the car seems that between changing gear 2 to gear 1, the gear change is not smooth.
The service I done is a yearly service. Checked from Ferrari Service dealer, clutch still have 60% to go.
My car only done 5000km since year 2001.
I also experienced one time the clutch is overheated and the car need to stop on trhe street for 10 mins. Ferrari Service dealer told me that it is normal as old F1 software is too sensitive. If I upgrade the F1 software (costs USD3000), it will help.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Victor Li
---I also experienced one time the clutch is overheated and the car need to stop on trhe street for 10 mins. Ferrari Service dealer told me that it is normal as old F1 software is too sensitive. If I upgrade the F1 software (costs USD3000), it will help.
I am getting the feeling it's your lack of familiarity with the F1 system.

You could have the TCU updated with newer software by the dealer. It may help.

Try this: open the front bonnet, turn battery switch off for a few minutes, turn it on, then w/o touching anything and making sure all electical are off, turn key to 1st position for about 15-30 seconds, and again with everything off, start car and let run for 5 minutes. Then take out on highway at normal speeds for 15-30 minutes.

I think also you should avoid some of the the low speed driving you are doing.

Have dealer check the F1 fluid level.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Try this: open the front bonnet, turn battery switch off for a few minutes, turn it on, then w/o touching anything and making sure all electical are off, turn key to 1st position for about 15-30 seconds, and again with everything off, start car and let run for 5 minutes. Then take out on highway at normal speeds for 15-30 minutes.
Thanks for your advice. Could you tell me the logic behind the above trick? Is it going the reset the program so that it will help the F1 software to reset?

Old 09-06-2008, 01:07 PM
---Could you tell me the logic behind the above trick? Is it going the reset the program so that it will help the F1 software to reset?
The ECU learns your driving habits. You now need to clear that info from the ECU and start over. The info I gave you should do that.

Get to know that car better, and read the owner's manual. Don't drive it in AUTO mode. You'll eat the clutch alive.

Remember that it is not an automatic tranny! It's a 6 speed manual that is electronically and hydraulically controlled. Treat it that way.

Last edited by Gcalo; 09-06-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:08 PM
The ECU learns your driving habits. You now need to clear that info from the ECU and start over. The info I gave you should do that.

Get to know that car better, and read the owner's manual. Don't drive it in AUTO mode. You'll eat the clutch alive.

Remember that it is not an automatic tranny! It's a 6 speed manual that is electronically and hydraulically controlled. Treat it that way.
Thanks, I got it now. I will try it today and see if this could help.
Yes, I don't drive it under auto and I will treat it as manual car.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks, I got it now. I will try it today and see if this could help.---
So what happened, Vicktor?

Old 09-08-2008, 07:15 PM
So what happened, Vicktor?
Hi, sorry. Still have not got time to try yet. Will keep you posted when I am done.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:00 AM
Had tried to turn off the battery and reset the ECU.
I have driven for 30 mins and seems to be smooth. Need to test more in order to get a full report.

But there is an issue. After the battery is off and reset the ECU, the radio is locked and need a code to open it.
I cannot find th code to open the radio again from manual. Any advise?

Old 09-21-2008, 01:26 PM
---the radio is locked and need a code to open it.
I cannot find the code to open the radio again from manual. Any advise?
The radio code is on a card in an envelope that should be with all your records.

It's a 4 digit code.

It can only come from Ferrari with great effort.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:39 PM
The radio code is on a card in an envelope that should be with all your records.

It's a 4 digit code.

It can only come from Ferrari with great effort.
I don't have the cord on the card coming from the previous owner. So I need to get help from Ferrari

Old 09-21-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't have the cord on the card coming from the previous owner. So I need to get help from Ferrari

You have to contact a Ferrari dealer and you'll need to give them your VIN. They may need the radio's S/N also.

If they need the S/N I'll tell you how to remove the radio. It is rather simple if you have the two slim metal fingers in your books. They are about 75 mm in length and about 10 mm in width.

This may take a while however.

Just let me know.

The important part is that the car seems to be behaving better.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks, Gcalo.
You are very nice. I will contact with Ferrari first. If it cause too much trouble, I may bring the car there for them to fix it.

Will keep you post on the performance of the F1 after reset.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: F360 F1 Engine Stop Problem