Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

2010 Ferrari 458 Italia vs 2010 modded GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 AM
997slover is a glorious beacon of light997slover is a glorious beacon of light997slover is a glorious beacon of light997slover is a glorious beacon of light997slover is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Murtaza
Empty roads with zero traffic, I was present.

The GTR is putting down 600whp, the 458 is scary fast in stock form, incredible car!
congratulations for this fantastic video!!!!
are you GTR onwer?
and the GTR has 600hps, in my opinion the 458 was a good job for a stock car, but 458 isnīt fast of this GT-R ok?

Old 09-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Murtaza will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Lee Willis
There is no excuse for racing on public roads, period - accidents happen because irresponsible people think the road is empty or they can see far enough ahead. I've driven a couple of my street cars a lot faster than in this video, but in places where it is safe, or at least as safe as its going to possibly be.
In particular, given the number of old runways, for-fee race tracks & clubs, and pro tracks open to the public on non-race days, there is really no excuse: beyond that I like the availability of the timing equipment, etc., they provide.
I know, or rather knew, one person who is now dead because of steet racing on an "empty" road. Luckily the idiot only killed himself (although he hospitalized briefly an older woman who was just driving to the store) but it is still a shame - we seem to have a lot of idiots in this world, but even so it would have been a better, or at least more interesting, place, had Chip lived.
You knew an idiot, we are not as dim. Thanks for caring, we pay the utmost importance to safety.

Last edited by Murtaza; 09-08-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Lotus907 is on a distinguished road
The concerned citizens above need to go join a local fraternity for the uniformed members of the police state, have a couple beers to calm down and sell whatever cars they have that they think are interesting and get something the sheep are driving. Then go join the sheep out there in la la land cruising around like brainless automatons. People that act like this are usually (not exclusively but usually) driving scared or are confidence problems that have an issue understanding how there can be confident drivers out there. OR.....they're one of the card carrying godcomplexes with a badge.

Bloody hell. Speed haters, can't live with them, can't -----delete them.

Back on topic.....my bad for mistaking the appearance of a point and squirt moment at the end of the video. Still, I would pick the 458 in a race to the horizon and not by a small margin either. Ferrari's have never really been about bottom end where torque numbers rule, they're about the end of the day where BHP rules.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
The 458 is growing on me...

Thanks for sharing!!!
I just had the same thought. It is a very sexy profile from the side. Those headlights, still though...

Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Lotus907 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MikeR397
........Those headlights, still though...
You're not alone. Haven't liked those from the very beginning.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
The GTR clearly pulled up top but the 458 Italia is a force to be reckoned with!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:02 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MikeR397
I just had the same thought. It is a very sexy profile from the side. Those headlights, still though...
Yeah, definitely not alone... If those headlights didn't have their own side profile, this car would have more potential. But damn, they practically go all the way to the windshield.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:45 AM
got_hp? has a spectacular aura aboutgot_hp? has a spectacular aura about
There is no excuse for racing on public roads, period - accidents happen because irresponsible people think the road is empty or they can see far enough ahead. I've driven a couple of my street cars a lot faster than in this video, but in places where it is safe, or at least as safe as its going to possibly be.
In particular, given the number of old runways, for-fee race tracks & clubs, and pro tracks open to the public on non-race days, there is really no excuse: beyond that I like the availability of the timing equipment, etc., they provide.
I know, or rather knew, one person who is now dead because of steet racing on an "empty" road. Luckily the idiot only killed himself (although he hospitalized briefly an older woman who was just driving to the store) but it is still a shame - we seem to have a lot of idiots in this world, but even so it would have been a better, or at least more interesting, place, had Chip lived.

drag racing on empty public roads has been a part of america car culture since the beginning. speaking out against it is almost un-american.

many insurance companies will not cover damages that happen on a legal race track, however your damages are likely to be covered when you crash on a public road even if you are breaking the law (i know this personally, brother totalled one of my cars while racing and it was covered in full).

im not saying that racing on public roads is safe.....on the contrary, it is quite dangerous.....but the people that participate already KNOW that....i dont think expressing your disapproval on a forum has ever changed anyone elses behavior.

Last edited by got_hp?; 09-08-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Drinking and driving has been happening since the beginning of cars, I'll speak out against that in a heartbeat. I find it almost infinitely more dangerous to text while driving than the occasional drag race on an empty street.

And I'll speak out against that, too. Call me un-American.

*edit: All this is going to do is clutter up a thread with off-topic BS.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 09-08-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Lee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by got_hp?
drag racing on empty public roads has been a part of america car culture since the beginning. speaking out against it is almost un-american.
Sorry I am un-american. The few who are foolish enough to race on public roads end up making things difficult for all of us. My friend Chip flipped his modded (675 RWHP) Mustang and after it knocked the Camaro he was running into a ditch it went airborne and clear THROUGH a house. We had a Sh**storm here --a major crackdown that was no fun -- just having two modded enthusiast cars on the street near one another was enough to get you pulled over and hassled, etc. My daily driver at the time was a 840 HP Lingenfelter 'vette with a high rise hood, and it was just impossible to go anywhere in it, in peace, for several months, even though I know the Chief personally.

By the way, at least here in central NC the local police juridications take turns checking about fourty (!) forums once or twice a week and coordinate their findings. I've asked the Chief but she won't tell me which ones, but 6speedonline is a pretty popular site.
The video that started this thread is a "safe' one in this regard -- no obvious license numbers, cars, or identifiable faces. I know of one case where they did nail an M# owner for racing in a video - tried to confiscate his car, too, and nearby (Apex NC) the cops hauled a guy to jail after he posted too many details about burnouts in front of his girlffriends' house and tales of an epic street race I doubt he ever had.
Note that one thing that is identifable are the Interstate direction signs at the end of run #2 -- I would assume the cops locally know the "empty road" used in this video: I'd find another place next time.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:41 PM
ImportsNC, CarolinaHondas, etc...

I'm sorry for your friend, but it sounds like a sanctioned race track wouldn't have saved the issue from happening. Sometimes people with bad judgment don't know when to say when. This is true for almost anything with risks involved. We can't legislate our way out of stupidity (no longer referring to your friend). Some people are just determined to push the envelope, regardless of the situation.

It gets worse when it comes to sore losers.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:57 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Sorry I am un-american. The few who are foolish enough to race on public roads end up making things difficult for all of us. My friend Chip flipped his modded (675 RWHP) Mustang and after it knocked the Camaro he was running into a ditch it went airborne and clear THROUGH a house. We had a Sh**storm here --a major crackdown that was no fun -- just having two modded enthusiast cars on the street near one another was enough to get you pulled over and hassled, etc. My daily driver at the time was a 840 HP Lingenfelter 'vette with a high rise hood, and it was just impossible to go anywhere in it, in peace, for several months, even though I know the Chief personally.

By the way, at least here in central NC the local police juridications take turns checking about fourty (!) forums once or twice a week and coordinate their findings. I've asked the Chief but she won't tell me which ones, but 6speedonline is a pretty popular site.
The video that started this thread is a "safe' one in this regard -- no obvious license numbers, cars, or identifiable faces. I know of one case where they did nail an M# owner for racing in a video - tried to confiscate his car, too, and nearby (Apex NC) the cops hauled a guy to jail after he posted too many details about burnouts in front of his girlffriends' house and tales of an epic street race I doubt he ever had.
Note that one thing that is identifable are the Interstate direction signs at the end of run #2 -- I would assume the cops locally know the "empty road" used in this video: I'd find another place next time.

Hey man, relax. I was there following these 2 cars as well. Street racing happens, nothing you say or do will change that. Our group of guys do it in about as safe of an environment as you will find. I'm talking time of day and location. We're all enthusiasts but the last thing anyone wants is to put innocent strangers in danger. We do everything we can to assure that does not happen. I'm talking about completely empty roads, we didn't pass one car that entire morning. Now are we putting our own lives in danger when we race each other, that answer is yes, and we know it's a risk just like everyone who pushes their car knows it's a risk. The thing we can control is that there are no other cars around and no homes, the people having the "fun" are the ones at risk. I'm sorry to hear about your friend, it's always tragic when someone is lost and I'm sure it deeply affects the lives of those around that person.

The 458 is very impressive in stock form, if you've ever run a F430, this is a totally different beast. GTR is and has always been impressive with bolt ons and tune as shown here keeping up with a car worth 5 times more. All in good fun.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Lee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the rough
Modding cars is fun. I had a streetable (barely) mid 9s Camaro that was a real sleeper (it didn't look stock of course, but most folks who looked at it thought it was a low 12 or mid 11s ca, not mid 9). I never really raced it on the street, but had a lot of fun just playing around.
It is possible to get about 1000 HP to the wheels out of good Japanese, American, or European cars now - engines and mod methods vary but the results are about the same: damn fast and lots of fun, even if they seem to require constant diffling. The GTR is a good car although I still prefer big American V8s. My Ferrari will remain stock although I think the twin turbo kits, etc., are fun. Still, part of me would love to put a warmed up LS9 in it; sacrilege but I bet I could get close to 250 in the SS mile.
The speeds even lightly modded ones like that GTS, are impressive and frightening at the same time. The fastest I've ever gone is 203 mph at VA Raceway in my Ling 'vette. I know the two in this video weren't going that fast but they were still really hauling butt and on public roads. Always worries me that folks who street race alot seldom seem to upgrade the brakes as much as the engines. I spent about $18K on 3-caliper Brembos on my Ling'vette. Never needed them, but never regretted having them either.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:08 PM
trincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the rough
Well I'm not street racing my 458. I'm sure it will see Infineon Raceway for laps but I'm going to have to agree that it's just dangerous and worse at night. I just don't need the thrill I guess.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
More people die or have MVAs going to work in the morning or dropping off the kids to school then street races.

There are good ways to do it and then there are bad ways to do it. 3am, empty streets with little to no cross roads, lookouts with radios, ect are the good ways.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 Ferrari 458 Italia vs 2010 modded GTR