Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

2010 Ferrari 458 Italia vs 2010 modded GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:05 AM
trincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the rough
Uh sorry Doc but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. More people die of motor vehicle accidents driving to work but the amount of people driving to work is about oh 1 million percent higher then the number street racing. Your comparison should be, per person driving. In that sense, the number of accidents, let alone fatal accidents, per person driving vs racing is wildly different. I think the worst part is, you end up killing people that aren't even involved. I do agree there are good ways and bad ways to do it but it's like saying there are good ways and bad ways to smoke cigarettes. In the end, it's still bad for you. Think of it this way, of the street racers, what percent do it the way you mention with guys on radios and at 3:00 am and on isolated roads with no cross traffic. I'd say that number is extremely low. Now how many people just pull up to a red light in some souped up Honda Civic (lol at those by the way) and race to the next stop light. I know I've never seen a 3 a.m. race like you describe but I see LOTS of the other kind. Every time I drive an exotic in fact. I also wonder about the roads themselves. These aren't maintained like a track. You hit a pothole on uber thin tires at 150 and you are a dead man. You might even manage to take out the car next to you too.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 AM
MSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond repute
guys street racing is a dangerous activity but you can do it in a way to minimize the risk to others, i have been on many rally's and with the kind of driving you see there are very few accidents, the reason is when we push our cars we are at full tilt as far as focus! we have all out senses working on over time to make sure we do our best to keep our machines in tact!! Now compare that to the drive to work when people are texting, playing with i pod, adjusting the nav, doing make up, reading the paper, do i have to continue??? I believe its possible to "spirited" without being "reckless". In this video the guys did it as safe as possible....

Old 09-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Lotus907 is on a distinguished road
Clearly someone should start a thread on this distraction topic....not sure it would get as much interest as the subject of this thread though.....

Old 09-09-2010, 12:26 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lotus907
Clearly someone should start a thread on this distraction topic....not sure it would get as much interest as the subject of this thread though.....
... last page:
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
*edit: All this is going to do is clutter up a thread with off-topic BS.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:51 PM
ZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of light
Its too dark !

Old 09-12-2010, 12:29 AM
quattrogeek is on a distinguished road
Owning a highly potent car like the 458 can be a frustrating and challenging exercise in North America...here is why.

The fraternity of lawmakers, bureaucrats, and enforcement that will have you believe that speed kills, can't effectively back that claim up. Good job boys, grab a beer and give yourselves a pat on the back for a job well done. They'll even go as far as dismissing the fact that obtaining a drivers license in North America is about as easy as purchasing bubble gum at a 7 eleven. Have money, can drive, should be their slogan.

Why do we have speed limits in rural parts of the country inhabited by no one in particular? Why do we have vaguely worded legislation designed to hand over far reaching powers to marginally qualified individuals who can use their discretion to arrest you on the spot, have your personal property confiscated, and force you to pay large fines, all before you exercise your right to due process...think about that for a second.

The infrastructure to support higher speed limits on our roads is well established throughout North America (we have the finest network of roads on earth second only to the German Autobahn), so why do our lawmakers feel the need to restrict how you choose to drive, which is a paradox in itself...because the business of speed limits is lucrative, thats why.

I always find it funny when the holier than thou set gets on the internet and starts bantering away about how dangerous and risky certain behaviours are. Now..i won't go as far as condoning street racing, especially when there are facilities out there that will facilitate one's need for speed, however to blame speed for deaths is far too simplistic an approach for an issue that is far more imbedded than that. Its risky crossing the street, its risky eating at a bad restaurant, it can be risky forgetting your wedding anniversary.

Driving a car at WOT on a rural stretch of road with nobody in sight isn't the worst thing that can happen...and if you die doing it you probably shouldn't have been driving in the first place.

Last edited by quattrogeek; 09-12-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Lateral G is on a distinguished road
^ AMEN to that!

Lee Willis, thanks for your comments, sorry to hear about your friend, now lets move on and get back on topic.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Lee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the rough
Fine by me. I was actually surprised at the reaction my comment created. This forum has a relativelylow content of technical information in it (at least from my experience) compared to some others, but antrhopologists must love to study it!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by trincap
Uh sorry Doc but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. More people die of motor vehicle accidents driving to work but the amount of people driving to work is about oh 1 million percent higher then the number street racing. Your comparison should be, per person driving. In that sense, the number of accidents, let alone fatal accidents, per person driving vs racing is wildly different. I think the worst part is, you end up killing people that aren't even involved. I do agree there are good ways and bad ways to do it but it's like saying there are good ways and bad ways to smoke cigarettes. In the end, it's still bad for you. Think of it this way, of the street racers, what percent do it the way you mention with guys on radios and at 3:00 am and on isolated roads with no cross traffic. I'd say that number is extremely low. Now how many people just pull up to a red light in some souped up Honda Civic (lol at those by the way) and race to the next stop light. I know I've never seen a 3 a.m. race like you describe but I see LOTS of the other kind. Every time I drive an exotic in fact. I also wonder about the roads themselves. These aren't maintained like a track. You hit a pothole on uber thin tires at 150 and you are a dead man. You might even manage to take out the car next to you too.
Stats, plain and simple. More people get involved in innocent accidents from talking on the cell phone, texting, and drinking. So please tell me, do you NEVER talk on your cell phone or text while driving?????? IF you don't then you and Lee should also be busting the cell phone users ***** just as bad as the street racers to be fair.

I'm in total agreement with you and the young kids that street race in highly populated areas but when racers take the time to make it safe and do it in the early morning hours, empty roads, with lookouts, ect I think the ball busting should be kept to a minimum. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:15 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Hmm lets see die from sending a text that you will be home with the milk soon or smiling from ear to ear at 170 mph? I know which one I would rather do, bottom line anything is dangerous.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:31 PM
SDLIFE is infamous around these parts
I liiiikkkeeee!!!!!!!