Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Cost of maintenance on a 360?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Mattyrae will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by krpt176
Mattyrae how importantly was depreciation factored into your decision?
I am curious and not asking to be rude at all.
The reason I ask is did you feel the 360 was the best bang for the buck at the time? Or the F430 was just priced too high reflecting market value but just not what you were willing to pay to get into one?
Also did you plan on trading the 360 eventually for a 430 or 458 etc and felt it would have a better re-sale value due to less depreciation?
I never considered these when I got my TT only because I knew I would drive the crap out of it and love every second of it never really considering depreciation.
I know the Ferrari/Lambo world is a different level of exotics and since you own an F car and P car, I am curious what your train of thought was when deciding. I know one factor was the sound which you stated.

Must be awesome looking in a garage and having a Gt2 and 360 smiling back

Thanks
I originally wanted a Lotus Esprit V8. A 360 Spider at a dealer in Seattle dropped in price 20k.
Talked with the local Ferrari owners about cost of ownership. Talked to a high end used car dealer in town, showed him the car, after that a bit more negotiations, done deal. Car was missing some accessories, but price was dropped to cover everything missing, including cambelt change cost. Missed that the car would need a new alternator harness, and new radiator cap, because fans were
not coming on. After that, very reliable.

Bought the Esprit next, after ECU upgrade, sport cats, springs and dampers, alignment, and a little routine maintenance, fun car.

The Ferrari gets all the looks. People want to chat at stop lights every day, it never stops. I love looking in the garage. Sound is awesome, but shifting with the F1, the solid feel, the steering, the high speed stability, it's more than just the noise.

Last edited by Mattyrae; 11-29-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 PM
boutime2k is on a distinguished road
Hope you weren't expecting $29.99 oil changes and coupons?

Old 12-06-2011, 04:49 PM
thor7000 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by boutime2k
I guess taking it to Quick Lube would be out of the question...?? LOL

Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Actually the oil changes are inline with other makes, Porsche, Mercedes, etc. Around $300-350, mostly due to the synthetic oil required. Only issue is oil level must be checked when the car is warm, so dealers might be better at making sure it never gets overfilled, but even the best dealer is only as good as their worst mechanic. I have seen dealers overfill oil levels and ruin MAF's.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by boutime2k
No I wasn't. What do you drive BTW Mr. Smartypants.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:09 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mattyrae
Actually the oil changes are inline with other makes, Porsche, Mercedes, etc. Around $300-350, mostly due to the synthetic oil required. Only issue is oil level must be checked when the car is warm, so dealers might be better at making sure it never gets overfilled, but even the best dealer is only as good as their worst mechanic. I have seen dealers overfill oil levels and ruin MAF's.
My 996tt is due for an oil change. I did it myself last time and already have the oil/filter/o rings but it's freezing outside and I don't have easy access to a jack/stands, so I asked an Indy shop why they wanted for labor only and they said $100. They are already looking at a overboost issue on the car, so it's not like it's a special appt or anything, so $100 still seems pricey to me for someone to drain oil, twist a filter, and pour it back in. No way that takes a shop an hour, I did it in 25-30 minutes in my garage last time with a DIY, so will proabbly do the same again.

Porsche is 8.5 qts (iirc) of Mobile 1 0W-40 (Walmart at $5.25 or so each) and I think my 360 is up to 12 qts of the same. Filters are about $25-$30 each. I figure if I'm too lazy to do a DIY oil change on my cars to save a few hundred bucks, than I'm really just a lazy person. :-P