6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Ferrari (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/ferrari-40/)
-   -   aftermarket headers? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/ferrari/349708-aftermarket-headers.html)

boca996tt 10-18-2014 03:07 PM

aftermarket headers?

Thinking of changing out my stock headers to aftermarket.. fabspeed?agency power? should I get the header blankets? Is it needed? someone said the factory headers are designed like having a heat blanket on them, and with out blankets there will be a lot more engine heat .... anyone know the truth.. needed or not? I wont be tracking the car ever.. its just for street driving..

Paul@IAPracing 10-19-2014 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by boca996tt (Post 4218261)
Thinking of changing out my stock headers to aftermarket.. fabspeed?agency power? should I get the header blankets? Is it needed? someone said the factory headers are designed like having a heat blanket on them, and with out blankets there will be a lot more engine heat .... anyone know the truth.. needed or not? I wont be tracking the car ever.. its just for street driving..

It is a good idea to get the header blankets if you can. With the mid engine cars there isn't a ton of air flow back there.

Fabspeed Motorsport 10-20-2014 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by boca996tt (Post 4218261)

It is HIGHLY recommended to use blankets or get your aftermarket headers ceramic coated in order to keep temperatures down in the engine compartment.

That being said, - I do have customer who run their headers "naked/bare" - without any coating or blankets.

Tom@Champion 10-20-2014 01:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Our Tubi headers for the 430 are covered with OEM quality heat shielding, which is absolutely necessary in that car. If you install headers that are not covered, you're taking some BIG risks for expensive repairs down the road.

I don't have a picture handy, but the heat shielding we use is identical to what we use on our 355 headers, pictured below.

BigRich 10-20-2014 02:30 PM

100% use heat shields/blankets. I have a 458 as well. Engine runs extremely hot! I have seen carbon fiber inside the engine bay melted from the heat on a stock car!

sunir 10-20-2014 08:44 PM

Subscribed. So the factory headers are okay and will not cause over heating or damage but only when considering aftermarket headers it's best to get those coated or covered for heat reduction, correct?

Paul@IAPracing 10-20-2014 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by sunir (Post 4219538)
Subscribed. So the factory headers are okay and will not cause over heating or damage but only when considering aftermarket headers it's best to get those coated or covered for heat reduction, correct?

The stock headers come with heat shielding from the factory. Some aftermarket headers do not come with the heat shielding. So you have to either get them coated or have custom heat shields/blankets made. There are a few companies out that can make them.