Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

aftermarket headers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 03:07 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
aftermarket headers?

Thinking of changing out my stock headers to aftermarket.. fabspeed?agency power? should I get the header blankets? Is it needed? someone said the factory headers are designed like having a heat blanket on them, and with out blankets there will be a lot more engine heat .... anyone know the truth.. needed or not? I wont be tracking the car ever.. its just for street driving..

Old 10-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Paul@IAPracing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by boca996tt
Thinking of changing out my stock headers to aftermarket.. fabspeed?agency power? should I get the header blankets? Is it needed? someone said the factory headers are designed like having a heat blanket on them, and with out blankets there will be a lot more engine heat .... anyone know the truth.. needed or not? I wont be tracking the car ever.. its just for street driving..
It is a good idea to get the header blankets if you can. With the mid engine cars there isn't a ton of air flow back there.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by boca996tt
It is HIGHLY recommended to use blankets or get your aftermarket headers ceramic coated in order to keep temperatures down in the engine compartment.

That being said, - I do have customer who run their headers "naked/bare" - without any coating or blankets.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Our Tubi headers for the 430 are covered with OEM quality heat shielding, which is absolutely necessary in that car. If you install headers that are not covered, you're taking some BIG risks for expensive repairs down the road.

I don't have a picture handy, but the heat shielding we use is identical to what we use on our 355 headers, pictured below.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	01059791070C_M_5.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	405607   Click image for larger version

Name:	355-27_M_3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	405608  
Old 10-20-2014, 02:30 PM
BigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud of
100% use heat shields/blankets. I have a 458 as well. Engine runs extremely hot! I have seen carbon fiber inside the engine bay melted from the heat on a stock car!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:44 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Subscribed. So the factory headers are okay and will not cause over heating or damage but only when considering aftermarket headers it's best to get those coated or covered for heat reduction, correct?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Paul@IAPracing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sunir
Subscribed. So the factory headers are okay and will not cause over heating or damage but only when considering aftermarket headers it's best to get those coated or covered for heat reduction, correct?

The stock headers come with heat shielding from the factory. Some aftermarket headers do not come with the heat shielding. So you have to either get them coated or have custom heat shields/blankets made. There are a few companies out that can make them.