GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Grill Screen DIY 997-3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 02:59 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
Old 03-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
nice job and write up..thanks for sharing...mod rep to you

Old 03-09-2009, 12:45 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
How Long did it take you to do this project?

Old 03-09-2009, 01:56 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
can not pull up the link .....

Old 03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
996toomey will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mikymu
It is a PDF. For me if I click on link and then click open it comes right up.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:25 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mikymu
did you get it? if not I an email it to you.

Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
How Long did it take you to do this project?
Taking off the bumper was no big deal, I did it myself and I think i had it off in about an hr. I did not remove headlights or anything. Ryan's DIY was simple to follow. I unplugged the hose for the headlight washers right under the driver side side marker, and the bumper just pulled forward. The difficult part was making the forms for cutting the screen and the doing the cutting of the screen. You have to get the screen size such that it covers the air inlet frame but not to large so that the bumper will not slide back to its position, the area to glue is not huge so taking your time on cutting the screen is the real job. I also painted mine because the stainless steel grill screen was to bright for my Gray car. I could have ordered smaller screen from customcargrills.com. because they offer painted screen. I should have went with the smaller sizes as I did not want rubber and stones to get past it. Therefore I ordered stainless steel screen which may have been a bit harder to work with but the size was right. I would say i had 5 hrs in the screen fabrication, gluing and painting.

Last edited by toadinlaw; 03-09-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:34 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Extra rep points for you! Brilliant post!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by toadinlaw
did you get it? if not I an email it to you.
Got it Frank. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:50 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Nice DIY! Rep for you.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Jgalt will become famous soon enoughJgalt will become famous soon enough
And you glued the screens?

Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Taking off the bumper was no big deal, I did it myself and I think i had it off in about an hr. I did not remove headlights or anything. Ryan's DIY was simple to follow. I unplugged the hose for the headlight washers right under the driver side side marker, and the bumper just pulled forward. The difficult part was making the forms for cutting the screen and the doing the cutting of the screen. You have to get the screen size such that it covers the air inlet frame but not to large so that the bumper will not slide back to its position, the area to glue is not huge so taking your time on cutting the screen is the real job. I also painted mine because the stainless steel grill screen was to bright for my Gray car. I could have ordered smaller screen from customcargrills.com. because they offer painted screen. I should have went with the smaller sizes as I did not want rubber and stones to get past it. Therefore I ordered stainless steel screen which may have been a bit harder to work with but the size was right. I would say i had 5 hrs in the screen fabrication, gluing and painting.
I debating buying the Cargraphic kit, or the DIY process. The Cargraphic is an exact fit, but kind of pricy for a precut wire mess kit.

If you had to do it again, would you have bought a kit or, was the cutting no big deal.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:21 AM
I debating buying the Cargraphic kit, or the DIY process. The Cargraphic is an exact fit, but kind of pricy for a precut wire mess kit.

If you had to do it again, would you have bought a kit or, was the cutting no big deal.

Thanks for all the info so far.
That is a difficult one to answer for you, because I get allot of satisfaction out of doing the work on my car, Yes it saves money, but It also is done to my standard, I am never disappointed becuase I will keep going till I get it the way i want it. Can't always say that when someone else does it. but in this instance I am sure there (Cargrafic) work and product is top shelf, I still get off on doing it myself when i can. Having said that, If someone has a pre-cut screen that is the size that you want (coarseness of the screen) then the labor in this job at that point is a piece of cake. Ryan's DIY on the bumper removal is spot on.
Originally Posted by Jgalt
And you glued the screens?
I did Glue the screens with epoxy, it is an easy process of gluing. I would think that is less work than using fasteners. The look is outstanding. The real work is cutting screen.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:17 PM
That is a difficult one to answer for you, because I get allot of satisfaction out of doing the work on my car, Yes it saves money, but It also is done to my standard, I am never disappointed becuase I will keep going till I get it the way i want it. Can't always say that when someone else does it. but in this instance I am sure there (Cargrafic) work and product is top shelf, I still get off on doing it myself when i can. Having said that, If someone has a pre-cut screen that is the size that you want (coarseness of the screen) then the labor in this job at that point is a piece of cake. Ryan's DIY on the bumper removal is spot on.
I know what you mean, I just wanted to know if the cutting and shaping was a total PIA, or if it was relatively straight forward project. I plan on doing the grills at the same time as a third radiator install as the bumper will need to come off.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:45 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I know what you mean, I just wanted to know if the cutting and shaping was a total PIA, or if it was relatively straight forward project. I plan on doing the grills at the same time as a third radiator install as the bumper will need to come off.
Hey Ed,

I did the same thing as Frank, but I used the thicker screen material similar to the one pictured in his pdf. I picked up the screens at OSH (thanks to the thread by Daytonaviolet aka Fern). However I did not glue the screens in. On the outer ones I fastened them with zip ties in the corner where they can't be seen and on the center, the screen just sandwiches in place. Here is the original thread by Daytonaviolet: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...le-screen.html

It shouldn't take more than 2 hours minus the time it will take to put in the third radiator. I think it took me about an hour to put in the third radiator.

Last edited by ///MJFDDS; 03-11-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM
JC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really niceJC919 is just really nice
Great post...now I just need to get my GT3

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Grill Screen DIY 997-3