Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

RMS leak = Chance for LWFW upgrade or Not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:26 PM
peloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud of
Alex (Sharky) did the LWFW on my GT3. Parts were around 1900 plus labor. Car only had around 2k miles at the time so did not replace the pressure plate. You should not have to do so either with your low miles. I trust Sharkwerks plus the car works great - engine feels lust like my RS now. Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by peloton
Alex (Sharky) did the LWFW on my GT3. Parts were around 1900 plus labor. Car only had around 2k miles at the time so did not replace the pressure plate. You should not have to do so either with your low miles. I trust Sharkwerks plus the car works great - engine feels lust like my RS now. Hope this helps.
so.. for $1900 in parts.. u didnt replace the pressure plate? does the GT3 pressure plate even fit on on the RS clutch?

RS Clutch Kit includes
-RS clutch disc
-throw-out bearing
-guide tube
-flywheel bolts
-throw-out bearing fork
-ring gear
-RS pressure plate
-RS light weight flywheel

Old 02-23-2008, 09:48 PM
peloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Daytonaviolet
so.. for $1900 in parts.. u didnt replace the pressure plate? does the GT3 pressure plate even fit on on the RS clutch?

RS Clutch Kit includes
-RS clutch disc
-throw-out bearing
-guide tube
-flywheel bolts
-throw-out bearing fork
-ring gear
-RS pressure plate
-RS light weight flywheel
Daytonaviolet - sorry, I don't know the details of what parts Sharkwerks exactly installed in my 3. I suspect Alex will see this thread in the next couple of days and will post an accurate response. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:03 PM
rickg87 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by toadinlaw
Only your mechanic can say for sure but if you have oil on that little flat plate at the front of the motor by the sway bar, that is the spot I found my oil on my RMS leak. it is to common and likely an RMS leak. I had mine repaired and so far so good.
Thanks, I will check it out

Old 02-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gus F
Today I decided to make a service appointment at Champion Porsche, I have an oil leak that keeps a contant stain on my garage floor, almost sure it is the RMS (Rear main Seal), my intention is to get this repaired under the warranty, my GT3 (non RS) is just over 2000 mls.
I also called their parts dept. and asked if they had the LWFW replacement kit, I wanted to make sure they had the parts so I could do the upgrade and save on the labor while they fix the car, (Suncoast porsche quoted this kit today for $1288.00), the guy at the parts dept. told me that they don't sell the LWFW kit as a replacement for the regular GT3, he says that they sell the whole RS clutch (over $5,300.00!!).
I don't know what to say, but definetly I'm not impressed, or maybe they already are experimenting a decrease on sales due to the economic crisis!!

Do somebody know who I can talk to at champion? Are there any 6 speeders that had done the upgrade on the GT3 with out having to buy the whole clutch? Anybody had done it at Champion?

Like others said, RUN, dont walk! Champion Porsche Service dept. is quite possibly the WORST and most shady service dept. I have ever seen! Find a dealer that is not looking to rip you off.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Gus F is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz
Like others said, RUN, dont walk! Champion Porsche Service dept. is quite possibly the WORST and most shady service dept. I have ever seen! Find a dealer that is not looking to rip you off.
Mercedes Benz, Thanks for the advise, I have to say that this is going to be my first contact with a porsche service dept. (my first porsche), so far it doesn't seen very promising!!,
What about the Collection in Coral Gables? What are the options in South Fl?

Old 02-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Mercedes Benz, Thanks for the advise, I have to say that this is going to be my first contact with a porsche service dept. (my first porsche), so far it doesn't seen very promising!!,
What about the Collection in Coral Gables? What are the options in South Fl?

Your welcome, and I am only telling you this from first hand experience. I bought my GT3 at Champion and when i had an issue i saw how bad Champion's management, service dept, shop forman, and parts dept really was! I took my car to the Collection after that, and from the seconed you pull up to the service dept you are treated like you pulled up to a 5 star hotel! I dealt with the service manager Shawn Huffman, he really was very understanding and the whole experience was great. It also makes Champion look like the walmart shopping center in the ghetto that it really is!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz
Your welcome, and I am only telling you this from first hand experience. I bought my GT3 at Champion and when i had an issue i saw how bad Champion's management, service dept, shop forman, and parts dept really was! I took my car to the Collection after that, and from the seconed you pull up to the service dept you are treated like you pulled up to a 5 star hotel! I dealt with the service manager Shawn Huffman, he really was very understanding and the whole experience was great. It also makes Champion look like the walmart shopping center in the ghetto that it really is!
Thanks again Mercedes Benz, My appointment is canceled, I'll make contact with mr. Huffman, I'll give them a try. My leak is no so bad, can I wait a few more days.
Regarding Champion my experience so far has been with the sales dept. polite guys but the management was very "premiun" oriented, I'm really not surprised this LWFW issue.
regards,
gf.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks again Mercedes Benz, My appointment is canceled, I'll make contact with mr. Huffman, I'll give them a try. My leak is no so bad, can I wait a few more days.
Regarding Champion my experience so far has been with the sales dept. polite guys but the management was very "premiun" oriented, I'm really not surprised this LWFW issue.
regards,
gf.
Good luck! and let us know how it goes.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:17 AM
The Pusher is infamous around these parts
Wow, my experience with Champion's service department has been nothing but stellar. Even so, I know that everyone has different opinions. So, I decided to call them to check this out and this is what I was told.

It was explained to me that the RS LWFW conversion requires a complete clutch replacement. The only part in the clutch assembly that is the same is the pressure plate. They then told me that they recommend the replacement of the pressure plate when replacing the rest of the clutch components. I was quoted a parts price of $2577.75. This included the LWFW, ring gear, the RS disc, pressure plate, release bearing, guide tube, pilot bearing and assembly bolts. I was also informed when I asked about bringing my own parts that they would not install parts purchased from another source. Which I must admit, makes sense to me.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by The Pusher
Wow, my experience with Champion's service department has been nothing but stellar. Even so, I know that everyone has different opinions. So, I decided to call them to check this out and this is what I was told.

It was explained to me that the RS LWFW conversion requires a complete clutch replacement. The only part in the clutch assembly that is the same is the pressure plate. They then told me that they recommend the replacement of the pressure plate when replacing the rest of the clutch components. I was quoted a parts price of $2577.75. This included the LWFW, ring gear, the RS disc, pressure plate, release bearing, guide tube, pilot bearing and assembly bolts. I was also informed when I asked about bringing my own parts that they would not install parts purchased from another source. Which I must admit, makes sense to me.
That is not what "Rick" at Champion parts dept. told me, he quoted more than double that amount.
Anyway I stop today by The Collection, I spoke with Mr. Huffman, what a nice gentleman, he told me they can perform the LWFW upgrade with minimun or no cost when fixing the RMS leak, they had done it for other customers. I made an appointment for this next friday (pending for them having the parts available and cost of parts approval), later today I received an email confirming the cost of the parts at around $1000.00. They ask me if I authorized them to order the parts.
Now I hope my car's leak is really the RMS!!

Thanks for all comments and advice, I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:33 AM
The Pusher is infamous around these parts
That is not what "Rick" at Champion parts dept. told me, he quoted more than double that amount.
Anyway I stop today by The Collection, I spoke with Mr. Huffman, what a nice gentleman, he told me they can perform the LWFW upgrade with minimun or no cost when fixing the RMS leak, they had done it for other customers. I made an appointment for this next friday (pending for them having the parts available and cost of parts approval), later today I received an email confirming the cost of the parts at around $1000.00. They ask me if I authorized them to order the parts.
Now I hope my car's leak is really the RMS!!

Thanks for all comments and advice, I'll keep you posted.
Interesting, I've known the guys at Champion's parts & service department for years and I've never heard of a "Rick". Could it have possibly been "Nick"? Just wondering.

As for the pricing, I asked them to give me full retail price with no discounts, yet I wonder how the Collection can quote you $1000 for it all. Is there something their not replacing? I know that the pressure plate replacement was only a reccomendation, but even still it was only $610. Are you sure they are replacing everything else? I'm not trying to start an argument here by any means, just curious.

Last edited by The Pusher; 02-26-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by The Pusher
Interesting, I've known the guys at Champion's parts & service department for years and I've never heard of a "Rick". Could it have possibly been "Nick"? Just wondering.

As for the pricing, I asked them to give me full retail price with no discounts, yet I wonder how the Collection can quote you $1000 for it all. Is there something there not replacing? I know that the pressure plate replacement was only a reccomendation, but even still it was only $610. Are you sure they are replacing everything else? I'm not trying to start an argument here by any means, just curious.
Tn my then maybe it was "Nick", i was on my mobile in my car so maybe I didn't got the name rigth.

Anyway I will call the guys at the collection to make sure everything is correct, thanks for your concern, i'll keep updating.
gf.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:20 AM
AIRjordan23 is infamous around these parts
i had an great experience with the guys at the collection, coral gables. alot of service advisers, many nice cars, and good service. although it was for a small repair (replace of carbon fiber under warranty). everything was done really well. they made a mistake when ordering the carbon fiber a/c vent (they ordered the wrong part) but felt very bad, apologized, and reordered the part.. from my experience when dealers make mistakes they are still quite arrogant and usually find excuses. from my one experience with the collection they were very kind and honest. Also have a nice little waiting center with coffee and magazines.

champion does have a very arrogant attitude since they always brag how they are the #1 porsche dealer in volume in the u.s (or something like that)

Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by peloton
Hey Pelelton, thanks for the kind words... Just an FYI we did actually use a new PP for it so you do have one as well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RMS leak = Chance for LWFW upgrade or Not?