Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

opinions on dassport bar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:39 AM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mooty
the triangulation of the RS bar is better than DAS. the rear "X" of DAS is not a the node, thus causing stress riser at the point where the "X" meets the main hoop.

however, those in norCal should really look at tcdesignfab's bar. it's better made, tighter fitting then any of the above.

here's a picture of the TCDESIGN rollbar what do you guys think?

Old 04-09-2008, 04:47 PM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by speedoflight
heavy metal. ~60lbs. +5lbs for mounts and bolts.
For $1,140 I'd assume this is chrome moly and not cheap mild steel?

John H

Old 04-09-2008, 06:35 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
OEM RS for me...

Old 12-31-2008, 11:05 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
OK, i read enough post on roll bar comparison my eyes hurts lol

i see that many of you went with DAS roll bar - good choice but i have couple questions

-- 60+ lbs added weight just for a DAS roll bar is a-lot consider all the weight loss measure taken in RS just to be 45+ lbs lighter than the normal GT3

-- TC Design roll bar. what is the added weight and how much does it cost? it's not a straight bolt on right? does it require welding on the floor mount as shown below?

-- GMG now has roll bar that mount to the rear suspension mount but cost another $500 on top of the list price which come close to OEM RS bar Advantage over DAS is that it's about 15-20 lbs lighter.

floor mount of TC design roll bar - welding require??

GMG roll bar with rear suspension mount.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:57 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
who sells the DAS bar at the best price for the 996tt? How much should I expect to pay? Thanks for all the info guys!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:02 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
who sells the DAS bar at the best price for the 996tt? How much should I expect to pay? Thanks for all the info guys!
both millar and vivid sell them for $1195

Old 01-01-2009, 11:21 AM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Mike, I love the look and price of the DAS bar also but the extra weight deterred me from getting it. As for the GMG, I used to have their old one, the one that doesn't mount to the top of the rear suspension. I was contemplating about getting their new one at the time but I rather put that money toward the GT2 seats. Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by ///M Kevin
Mike, I love the look and price of the DAS bar also but the extra weight deterred me from getting it. As for the GMG, I used to have their old one, the one that doesn't mount to the top of the rear suspension. I was contemplating about getting their new one at the time but I rather put that money toward the GT2 seats. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks Kevin

you and I are on the same boat buddy as far as roll bar and seats. i am liking the GT2 seats more and more but like you, I wish we can have alcantara center padding. i asked Steve to get a picture of the cloth GT2 seat - which will be perfect for track use since they are fire retardant. will post picture when i get them

as far as roll bar goes. DAS is great since it's relatively cheap compare with OEM and GMG but 60 lbs of weight in the already rear heavy Porsche is a big no no! GMG quoted 35 lbs for their new roll bar but add another 10 lbs or so if you decide to include suspension mount - it's also too busy (too many bars) since it is on top of the existing roll bar. maybe GMG will come out with another improved roll bar in 2009 which mount on the rear suspension mount. i don't know the weight of the OEM bar but price basically kill it. TC design is another option. i will contact them to get the full spec, weight and price in a few. just don't want to weld anything in my RS

Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mikymu
Thanks Kevin

you and I are on the same boat buddy as far as roll bar and seats. i am liking the GT2 seats more and more but like you, I wish we can have alcantara center padding. i asked Steve to get a picture of the cloth GT2 seat - which will be perfect for track use since they are fire retardant. will post picture when i get them

as far as roll bar goes. DAS is great since it's relatively cheap compare with OEM and GMG but 60 lbs of weight in the already rear heavy Porsche is a big no no! GMG quoted 35 lbs for their new roll bar but add another 10 lbs or so if you decide to include suspension mount - it's also too busy (too many bars) since it is on top of the existing roll bar. maybe GMG will come out with another improved roll bar in 2009 which mount on the rear suspension mount. i don't know the weight of the OEM bar but price basically kill it. TC design is another option. i will contact them to get the full spec, weight and price in a few. just don't want to weld anything in my RS
And that's the reason why I put off the bar till later. If you want the alcantara in the middle, I know of a shop in San Jose that can do the work. Cost will be somewhere around $500 for both seats to put in alcantara. So you'll be spending around $7400 for the GT2 seats with the alcantara inserts. Another option is to buy a set from Carnewal where it comes with the alcantara. However from the last time I checked the dollar to euro exchange, it'll come out to be around $7700 USD......a little more but it's ready for install.

Last edited by ///M Kevin; 01-01-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:52 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
TC Design roll bar. what is the added weight and how much does it cost? it's not a straight bolt on right? does it require welding on the floor mount as shown below?
It's almost as heavy as the DAS (~50lbs). I believe installed and powder coated its $2500. It's not a straight bolt in and requires welding, but anyone who has it can attest to Tony's work. It's second to none, and you wouldnt know that there was welding done unless someone told you.

GMG now has roll bar that mount to the rear suspension mount but cost another $500 on top of the list price which come close to OEM RS bar Advantage over DAS is that it's about 15-20 lbs lighter
There are other hypothetical advantages of GMG's bar over DAS. Here's what I wrote some time ago regarding the different bars.

First off, let me say that any rollbar will be better than none and hopefully you'll never be in situation where you need the extra protection.

This has been discussed at length over on RL. It depends what you want to do, how much you want to spend for your safety, etc, etc...

Essentially the BEST option is a custom half cage bolted to box sections welded to the chassis, ie Tony's (TC Design bar)

Otherwise, its always a compromise as every bar has its 'weak' points.

The TE bar, while crashed tested by PAG, bolts to the seat belt points but this causes pressure to be in sheer rather than compression. And while the bolts that fasten the bar in are rated to ~22,000 lbs of sheering force apparently that amount of force is easy generated in a roll.

The RS bar is very pricey but its a great design. The problem with the RS half cage comes with the bolt in plate welded to the ends of the main hoop. They are too small and would go right through the floor. In order for this bar to function at full potential it must be bolted to box sections welded to the chassis.

The DAS bar while extremely cost effective has several "weak" points. There is no cross member in the main hoop and rear kickers dont attach to the axial joints in the main hoop causing more stress to be exerted on the already "flawed" main hoop in a (God forbid) roll over situation.

Another option would be GMG's new harness bar. It employs a proper X in the main hoop and I actually have a custom design which connects to the rear shock towers (for a total of 6 mounting points) allowing for even more protection and structural rigidity (as pictured above). Again the only "weak" point in this set up are the bolts (same as TE grade 8 or 9?) which fasten the bar to the seat belt points. Although i believe the rear mounting points (non shock tower) are designed a little differently from that of the TE bar as GMG employs a more cylindrical end to spread sheer forces (See photos below)

GMG bar

TE Bar

That being said AllanJ over on RL put it like this

Originally Posted by AllanJ
I have a fairly good understanding of physics and a rollover is what we're afraid of, not picking up the car and throwing it on its roof in such a way that the forces on the main hoop are in the perfect direction to shear the bolts.

In a rollover, forces are exerted on the bar in different directions every microsecond. There will be some shearing forces for sure, but you'll mainly get offset forces on the bar which will push against or pull away from the mounting points (which are extremely strong).
Again, something will ALWAYS be better than nothing. Its up to you to decide what's worth it.

Last edited by CarNerd; 01-01-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:01 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
If you're concerned about weight, get GMG or Sharky's center section muffler by pass and get Fabspeed's side muffler deletes. You'll lose close to 60lbs off the rear.

Also, if you dont already have them, proper track wheels make an extremely noticeable difference.

And I doubt GMG will be producing another bar this year. As far as bolt in's there's not much they can improve on. You could always call Fabryce and have him make something custom for you (no rear seat belt mounts, just the rear kickers to the shock towers and front seat belt points). That's pretty much what I did.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:34 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of

I love my OEM RS roll bar and the OEM roll cage extension is mega cool!
Weight is important ,if Porsche had a Chromoly rollbar option that will be very cool more expensive too,do this mod ! every GT3,GT2 or RS needs the TUBE !!!!!! Don t worry about the weight you will be very happy and the rigidity of the car improves.

Last edited by luiscarlos; 01-01-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
I've had the OEM RS rollbars in my '07 997 GT3 from day one. I never drove the car without it.
I love the feel of my GT3 and structural rigidity BUT what has driven me crazy is the creeking sound. It has been continuous and there has been no alleviation. The bolts get re-tightened but no improvement.

The TCDesign rollbars looks very nice. Problem is though, I guess you have to be in No. Cali.
Did GMG make a rollbar system that bolts to the rear suspension points?

Ranger

Old 01-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by CarNerd
If you're concerned about weight, get GMG or Sharky's center section muffler by pass and get Fabspeed's side muffler deletes. You'll lose close to 60lbs off the rear.

Also, if you dont already have them, proper track wheels make an extremely noticeable difference.

And I doubt GMG will be producing another bar this year. As far as bolt in's there's not much they can improve on. You could always call Fabryce and have him make something custom for you (no rear seat belt mounts, just the rear kickers to the shock towers and front seat belt points). That's pretty much what I did.
i am concern about weight and every lb of weight loss in our GT3/RS tend to cost a-lot of pretty penny. that is why i am not excited about the DAS roll bar - adding another 60 lbs. having a custom roll bar made like you mentioned where rear seat belt mount is deleted and incorporate rear kicker to shock tower is the winning combination for a bolt on roll bar. i will contact GMG and see what they can offer. hopefully i won't have to sell my M3 to afford the roll bar lol

unfortunately, i have an extra set of OEM 19" for track. love to have some light 18" .... but cost is another issue. i learn that everything cost just about twice as much for Porsche compare with BMW. for example, i paid around $2500 for a set of light weight forged 18" wheels for my M3 much like the champion 18" .... but it cost almost twice as much for Porsche. anyway, just trying to lessen the pain while playing the Porsche game by looking for the best bang for the buck setup. thanks for all the useful info. carnerd, i think i recognize your GT3. do you run with trackmaster? is your GT3 in the photo below?

Originally Posted by luiscarlos

I love my OEM RS roll bar and the OEM roll cage extension is mega cool!
Weight is important ,if Porsche had a Chromoly rollbar option that will be very cool mere expensive too,do this mod ! every GT3,GT2 or RS needs the TUBE !!!!!! Don t worry about the weight you will be very happy and the rigidity of the car improves.
OEM bar is a good choice and i might have to get it too if GMG cost too much. do you have the weight of the OEM bar? nice RS by the way and love your color do you still have your M3?

Old 01-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
I've had the OEM RS rollbars in my '07 997 GT3 from day one. I never drove the car without it.
I love the feel of my GT3 and structural rigidity BUT what has driven me crazy is the creeking sound. It has been continuous and there has been no alleviation. The bolts get re-tightened but no improvement.

The TCDesign rollbars looks very nice. Problem is though, I guess you have to be in No. Cali.
Did GMG make a rollbar system that bolts to the rear suspension points?

Ranger
Hey Ranger, GMG now has a supplement rear suspension mount that you can add to the existing GMG roll bar. here is the link: http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_interior.shtml

GMG GT Cup Harness Reinforcement Bracing

This unit is a simple bolt on upgrade to the first generation GT and second generation Cup Harness Bars. Our additional bracing upgrade offers 996 and 997 owners the option to incorporate additional chassis stiffening and safety by allowing them to install the additional braces which mount to the rear strut towers. This is possible while also offering a fully functional strut tower brace.
The brace is manufactured of the same high quality chromoly tubing as the roll bar itself. We also utilize machined inserts that have been TIG welded and normalized for maximum strength.

- Sold as an option for both the GT and Cup harness bars
- Sold as a complete set; all hardware is included
- Removal of existing rollbar is unnecessary
Price: $645.00

i am going to see if they make a roll bar without the rear seat mounts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: opinions on dassport bar