Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997 GT2 w Pzero Corsa tyres

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 PM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by luiscarlos
I think all the GT2 997 have CUPS.
nope mine is sitting here with corsas... i have had both but i perfer the corsas for a street tire.... better in the wet gt3 came with cup rs came with cup 2nd gt3 came with corsas aand now my gt2 has corsas

Old 08-01-2008, 10:03 PM
cnc
Awaiting Email Confirmation
cnc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 930man
nope mine is sitting here with corsas... i have had both but i perfer the corsas for a street tire.... better in the wet gt3 came with cup rs came with cup 2nd gt3 came with corsas aand now my gt2 has corsas
You lucked out!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:12 AM
hog
hog is infamous around these parts
Not a direct comparison but I run my 996 GT2 on Michelin Cups and my 997 TT on Pzeros and I agree with Oakley Design that the Pirelli is a stonking tyre set - much more progressive control overall and better still in the wet.
My 997 GT2 is due for Sept delivery but the OPC can't tell yet what tyres with which it will be delivered.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
???? His came with Pirelli.

The cars come with the same N-Spec Michelin Cup or Pirelli Corsa System setup the GT3-RS has. Which is better is preference, but overall reviews on the Porsche compound Michelin are not as favorable as the non-Porsche Cup Compound.
Actually GT2 tires are wider in the rear, 305 vs. 325

Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
I have driven both the PZero Corsa's and the Michelin Pilot Cups. My GT3 came with the Cups and the GT3RS with Corsa's.
For me the Pirelli are better hands down. They come up to temperature faster and feel better overall. Regarding wet conditions they Corsa's are superior.

I put Corsa's on the GT3 and did not wait to wear out the Cups.
They are a great performing tire. In the wet the Cups can be like bars of soap.

Ranger

Old 08-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Oakley Design is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by toadinlaw
I have the Corsas system and have put 14 track days on 3 of them and about 12 on the left front. I did burn the left front off, but that was more the track than the tire. I have not driven on cups. but the corsas is as said above, good wet and dry traction, decent durability. I like it, I am going to try the R888, not that I think its all around better, but for the track at $540 per rear tire, vs 360.00 I am going to give the r888 a try. the R888 is not a good choice for the street regarding noise level.

Frank,

Do you plan on doing only 5 laps then pitting??

I know the price is attractive for the R888 but they are not suited to the 996/997.

The surface heats up to quick and then overheats causing OVERSTEER!!! plus the side wall are too stiff. We had to back the rebound right off to get these to work and our suspension system is quite complient in its operation.

I guess for the money its worth a set of R888 boots to see if you get on with them. Out of the box grip will impress you! Then start to push them on track...

M

http://www.oakleydesign.eu

Last edited by Oakley Design; 08-07-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:08 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Oakley Design
Frank,

Do you plan on doing only 5 laps then pitting??

I know the price is attractive for the R888 but they are not suited to the 996/997.

The surface heats up to quick and then overheats causing OVERSTEER!!! plus the side wall are too stiff. We had to back the rebound right off to get these to work and our suspension system is quite complient in its operation.

I guess for the money its worth a set of R888 boots to see if you get on with them. Out of the box grip will impress you! Then start to push them on track...

M

http://www.oakleydesign.eu
I have participated in many threads were guys are comparing tires and contrasting the Cups, Corsas and the R888. I think you can draw some general conclusions about the tire from car to car, but I also think your set up and suspension and driving style has allot to do with your tire experience.

Personally, my 997-3 came with a ton of under steer, I have been working with alingment and sway bar to get ride of it. I want to experiment with spring rate, specifically, a stiffer rear spring and softer rear sway, but if your telling me that the tire is overheating, that surly could be the set up as much as the tire. I can't disagree with you at this point because I have not run the tire. I can't talk bad about the corsas either as I have had a good experience but nothing to compare it to yet either. Half the fun is experimentation, for me.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 AM
JackGt3 has a spectacular aura aboutJackGt3 has a spectacular aura about
congrats andreas

Old 08-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Andreas_GT2 is infamous around these parts
Thanks Jack.
Here are some first pics of my car at the dealer

Attached Images