GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Walter (Rohrl) may need to up his insurance policy.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:38 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Walter (Rohrl) may need to up his insurance policy.

If he expects to keep up with cars like this at the Ring (At least in a 415 hp GT3). I find it hard to beleive that Porsche will tuck their tails and walk away. But the days of running in traffic with everyone else are likely to go away.

http://www.motortrend.com/av/feature...deo/index.html

At these power levels, it's time to unleash the Turbo again, give it a real Porsche suspension, and GT2 Power and get busy.

Last edited by heavychevy; 08-28-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Not bad. They are getting ever closer to the 7:15 set by the 996 GT3.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Max Power is on a distinguished road
is it normal for the gear shift lever to vibrate that much?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Zuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant future
Thing sounds like a garbage truck banging off the limiter in 2nd. Watching that stick shake is priceless, that's some serious quality right there!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Just for comparison,

Viper ACR - 7:22
Viper SRT 10 - 7:59

37 seconds improvement! ACR is seriously fast car. Good job Dodge!

Old 08-28-2008, 12:21 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by USCCayman
Not bad. They are getting ever closer to the 7:15 set by the 996 GT3.

That was a GT2, and a heavily modded one at that. No GT3 is in the ball park. The EDO car is a RSR wide body with lots of power, a sequential, gutted etc etc etc. Nothing like a factory car.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Akira
Just for comparison,

Viper ACR - 7:22
Viper SRT 10 - 7:59

37 seconds improvement! ACR is seriously fast car. Good job Dodge!
I think the previous SRT times are garbage, not a chance any SRT can barely break 8 minutes. The regular SRT on sport cups is a 7:20's car with some time and ring developement.

The 03-06 SRT-10's on stock tires should be in the mid-high 7:40's. At least the US spec ones.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:36 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Very Impressive. Sadly, Porsche is more about selling cars to people that will never drive them at 5/10's these days than breaking track records.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:45 PM
I just refuse to beleive they wont respond in some way.

But you are right, the fact that they can sell GT3 RS's (for WAY over MSRP) which have no significant RS value over a GT3 other than a wing and bright colored paint, and since the US is one of the largest markets, the emphasis on performance has been lacking. But at the same time, Porsche has never been tested (I.E. thrashed) by so many different competitors.

I still dont think they'll throw in the towel though, but the GT2 blowing it's load and then subsequently getting mashed (with video) by the ZR-1 and ACR with half done drives cant be going over well.

I think the rumors of the GT3 getting sequential and power bumps and the GT2/TT getting more power are a result of this and it will happen.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:57 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
I wish that they were really going to do that. I highly doubt that any future changes to the GT2 (The car that SHOULD be the car to go after all of these records)will be enough to garner huge (read 10 second) improvements at the ring. I love Porsches as much (or more) as the next guy, I just don't see it being a realistic goal.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I dont expect them to go after the ACR, there is still far too much time left in it, but the ZR-1 on PS2's is a reachable goal. Walter having to pass people left and right on flying laps cant inspire too much confidence.

But if they do nothing = fail for Porsche, but if they do it will be because of pride, not sales, which are doing fine.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Top 5

7:22 Dodge Viper ACR
7:26 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
7:27 Pagani Zonda F Clubsport
7:29 Nissan GTR
7:32 Porsche 911 GT2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordsch...test_lap_times

10 seconds gap between 5th and 1st place. The competition is really heating up to grab the fastest Nordschleife title. i wonder who will be the next to take the crown. LF-A? Will ZR1 retake the spot? V-Spec? It is very exciting time to be a sports car enthusiast.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
There are a lot of these superpowerful AND fast cars today.
If a modern sports car has a lot power of course it is fast on the Ring....Vipers, Vettes and GT-R's are of course crazy fast there.

But perhaps it's not always appropriate to compare test driver times and Horst von Saurma's Sport Auto times (the journalist times published in every Ring time post)

The differences in reality are always different: they are smaller.

Still I believe the fastest cars lapping the Ring on private track days and public TF will continue being Porsches in the future. For example where have been all the fast Z06's since their introduction a couple of years ago?

(Just last week I overtaked that ACR Viper on the very Nordschleife, of course it was not driven to its limits but I still passed him.. )

Last edited by Kaizu; 08-28-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:43 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
Man, that ACR looked and sounded like a POS. It may be the fastest around the Ring, but I'd rather be a little slower and have some minimal creature comforts, including my car not feeling like its going to fall apart at the rev limiter. After 5 years and 50K miles do you think the Viper ACR is still cruising the Ring or its a parts car ? Anyway, if I really wanted to have the fastest sled on a track I'd buy a purpose built track beast like a Radical. Just my 2 cents (from an unabashed TT owner who likes to be swathed in leather and carbon).

Old 08-28-2008, 04:13 PM
rsman is on a distinguished road
Acr

A 7:22 with that kind if driving leads me to beleive that the time has room for improvement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Walter (Rohrl) may need to up his insurance policy.