GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

I drove the CGT yesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, terrific write-ups on both accounts. Nick, awesome feedback on a car many of us will only see from time to time. Ben, don't second guess it now. You either love it or you don't. No need to beat yourself up on that one.

All the best to you both - enjoy the life you have and the time to enjoy the toys!

Old 09-01-2004, 09:02 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Wow Ben, sorry to hear that you are cancelling your order. Based on your review, I can understand why. One question...You said it was tight in the cabin. I fit comfortably, relatively in my GT3 with the seat all the way back, ect. I'm 6'7"...Would I fit in the CGT with the top on, let alone with it off??? It looks like the big center console might prevent me from splaying my legs while sitting. I have the console delete in my GT3 and that made a big difference for legroom (for my right knee). It appears that it might be a problem in the CGT??? Thanks

PS: I can imagine your disappointment. At least your bank account will be happier. :-)

Old 09-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Honored Member

W8MM will become famous soon enough
Rockitman,

I'm only 6'4", but I wear 36" inseam trousers. In understand your concern about the need to splay ones knees. One of the main reasons I'm not so interested in owning Ferraris has to do with fitting in the cars well enough to comfortably drive them. Years ago, while being otherwise wonderful cars, they seemed to be made soley for midgets.

The Carrera GT works for me, at least sitting still, with the seat ("XT" 15mm wider option required) all the way back. It's my observation, as an honorary tall guy, that the CGT has the most legroom of any Porsche that I can remember (going back 35 years). I, too, would benefit greatly in a 996 from the GT3 console-delete option to facilitate better heel/toe pedal operation. As it is, I can barely (not comfortably) heel & toe my TT Cab and opted for the Tip in my TT coupe because of the legroom issue.

The CGTs that I have been able to sit in (Geneva & Atlanta) both had very comfortable leg accommodation and seemed as though heel & toe operation would be much easier for me than in a 996 w/console. I have big feet (only size 12 USA/46.5 Euro) and I welcome the increase in pedal spacing that Ben didn't find to his advantage.

The only issue you are likely to have is headroom with the top in place. It is marginal for me and you are taller, perhaps especially so from the waist to the top of your head.

There's a new, unsold CGT in my town sitting on the "other" dealer's lot. I'll try to see if they'll let me drive it in the next few days. At minimum, I'll try to get them to allow a sit-down session in the cockpit to see if I can get any more big-guy-specific details to post.

Cheers,

Old 09-01-2004, 10:26 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by rockitman
Wow Ben, sorry to hear that you are cancelling your order. Based on your review, I can understand why. One question...You said it was tight in the cabin. I fit comfortably, relatively in my GT3 with the seat all the way back, ect. I'm 6'7"...Would I fit in the CGT with the top on, let alone with it off??? It looks like the big center console might prevent me from splaying my legs while sitting. I have the console delete in my GT3 and that made a big difference for legroom (for my right knee). It appears that it might be a problem in the CGT??? Thanks

PS: I can imagine your disappointment. At least your bank account will be happier. :-)
I don't think head room is an issue in the very least with the tops on - especially if you order it with the 10 mm lower driver seat. I too have the GT3 console delete in my car and the tightness to which I was referring is lateral vs. verticle. (fwiw, I have a 34" inseam). At 6' 7" though, I have to think it would be quite a pain in the *** to get in and out of - especially the driver seat with the steering wheel. Once in though, there was ample room to the roof - which could however quickly be eaten up by a helmet at 6' 7".

What I was trying to describe is that the center console absolutely consumes interior space to the right of the driver allowing for no lateral movement whatsoever of the right leg/knee, etc.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:38 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Mike, keep us tall guys posted.

What I was trying to describe is that the center console absolutely consumes interior space to the right of the driver allowing for no lateral movement whatsoever of the right leg/knee, etc.
That is my primary concern. I am longer in the legs than torso, but the issue with my knee being close to the steering wheel is of greatest concern. Prior to the console delete in my GT3, I could actually jam my hand while on the wheel into my knee when the wheel was turned far enough. I gained like 4" of clearence once I deleted the console...

Thanks again for both of your responses.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:56 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by ben, lj
i however, i just can't say enough good things about the stradale save for the low torque. it's so very purposeful. the car is just so perfectly balanced. for example, it's totally flat cornering while being completely compliant over road imperfections. under 4k rpm, you can putz around town and your neighborhood with very low noise, but when you want it (above 4k), a sound so beautiful, race-car like, and purposeful screams from the car. the interior is a stripped out version of the 360, but it has enough detail to make it just right - carbon fiber door panels/console, leather bottom dash and seats, radio, a/c, and electric windows. .
very accurate ben... and you forgot: very attractive.

as Amir said to me re: the CS: "you won't regret it". i don't.

i'm a torque hog from way back, but how fast do you really need to go? CS is fast enough for the modern world - unless you're crossing nevada/az/utah/etc on back roads... then gt2 is nice, otherwise superfluous? the handling and tossability of the CS more than makes up for the T deficit vs GT2 for me on my bumpy mountain roads.

and if you want performance you gotta get over the open car thing... i was into them until age 40 or so [maybe you're young ben!!!] or live with the cgt's minor weaknesses.

Attached Images  

Last edited by watt; 09-01-2004 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:18 AM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Great writeup! Sorry that the car didn't live up to all your expectations..

Have you thought about the Koeniggsegg?? It has a removable top as well and adjustable suspension etc etc. Maybe the CCR, 806bhp!!

Old 09-02-2004, 03:41 AM
teflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant future
Ben,

Do you think a different alignment setting may alleviate some of the issues you experienced? Also, since the CGT has an adjustable suspension, perhaps it is possible to tune it so that it behaves exactly the way you would like.

Obviously you cannot do this to someone else's car, but have you considered that at least some of the drivability issues you experienced could be resolved? Perhaps you could consult w/H. Kristen or someone else at the factory before you cancel your order.

Greg A

Old 09-02-2004, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by teflon
Ben,

Do you think a different alignment setting may alleviate some of the issues you experienced? Also, since the CGT has an adjustable suspension, perhaps it is possible to tune it so that it behaves exactly the way you would like.

Obviously you cannot do this to someone else's car, but have you considered that at least some of the drivability issues you experienced could be resolved? Perhaps you could consult w/H. Kristen or someone else at the factory before you cancel your order.

Greg A
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think there are settings to make the suspension more compliant which is what it would take to alleviate the lateral movement during aggressive cornering on uneven pavement. Additionally, the clutch is what it is and there is nothing they can do about it.

Old 09-02-2004, 03:55 AM
Honored Member

W8MM will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by teflon
Do you think a different alignment setting may alleviate some of the issues you experienced?
The rear sway bar has three (3) bolt holes in it from the factory where the drop link to the wheel carrier attaches. If I recall corrrectly, it is set from the factory to full hard rear roll stiffness.

If you thought the car was too tail happy for your taste (although it would be fastest in the hands of a great driver this way), one would be tempted to change it to the medium or full soft setting for a trial run.

YMMV

Cheers,

Old 09-02-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by W8MM
The rear sway bar has three (3) bolt holes in it from the factory where the drop link to the wheel carrier attaches. If I recall corrrectly, it is set from the factory to full hard rear roll stiffness.

If you thought the car was too tail happy for your taste (although it would be fastest in the hands of a great driver this way), one would be tempted to change it to the medium or full soft setting for a trial run.

YMMV

Cheers,
Hi Mike.

I love tail happy. What I don't like is front and rear lateral movement resulting from too stiff a suspension during aggressive cornering on uneven pavement. It's very possible that sway bars being set stiff for the track did contribute greatly to this behavior.

Old 09-02-2004, 07:35 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
This is so sad. I've been living vicariously through you since you ordered this car.

I'm a cab guy too and I'm working on a deal to trade my 02 tt for an 04 ttcab.

Would it really cost that much to mod a 360 to get Stradale performance?

Old 09-02-2004, 07:50 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Ben and Nick thanks for sharing this with us - I am cancelling my CGT order ohh wait I never ordered one
430 Ferrari is my next supercar as of now

Old 09-02-2004, 07:55 AM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by jamie
This is so sad. I've been living vicariously through you since you ordered this car.

I'm a cab guy too and I'm working on a deal to trade my 02 tt for an 04 ttcab.

Would it really cost that much to mod a 360 to get Stradale performance?
Ben likes to play on a different playing field. Calling the 360 Spider a "*****" must be kept in context. To my knowledge there is not a convertible on the market except the TTX50 that will out perform the 360 Spider.

The 430 Modena Spider should meet his requirements assuming weight is not an issue.

Those of you coveting a CGT my advise is to wait one or two years and they will be had for a fraction of MSRP. You still will have two-three years of warranty and can try to enjoy the car if you find a smooth road and no traffic.

Porsche should have allowed the buyers once they made their pilgrimage to Leipsteg to drive the car.Instead they put them in a car with professional drivers on a smooth track and allow the them to vicariously drive it.

For a $50,000 deposit, the buyers should have demanded time behind the wheel. I suspect Porsche was well aware of the various isssues surrounding the car and were protecting their investment but not allowing test drives.

Old 09-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Banned
Matt Fresh is on a distinguished road
Re: I drove the CGT yesterday

Originally posted by nberry
If I want to do some real serious track work I do not believe anything would beat driving the CGT.
Say that after you drive an Enzo. Not that I like it more, but you cant really say that until you have... unless you have, have you?

BTW, I saw a Black CGT waiting to cross Sunset Blvd 2 nights ago in Brentwood, coming home from work. I had to stop, flip a ***** over the double yellow, and give the guy a few honks and a thumbs up. I tried to follow him so I could play a little bit, but there was a few cars inbetween us, and he hauled *** up a windy road... probably going home and thought I was a stalker!

Thats kick *** that you drove one!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I drove the CGT yesterday