7gt3 laguna seca mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 06:49 PM
bobk is on a distinguished road
GREAT INFO

Thank you Sir

Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deutschmick
Damn. I want to get the bypass and now I want it even more so I can do the mod.
We have eight of them just sitting here waiting:P

Old 06-02-2009, 02:06 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Joe

Excellent job and thanks for sharing a simple to follow DIY so we can all enjoy Alex's muffler by-pass at Laguna. More rep points for ya

I am glad you pointed me to this solution. As you know I am the one with OEM muffler and blow the Laguna sound barrier with sports button OFF at 95+ db .... I took couple pictures below of another very complicated vacuum hose mod that does the same as your mod but require a trip to the dealer and $160+ later. Your route got my vote. Notice how they used some sort of vacuum check valve near the solenoid? I may add a similar valve on my setup. Will post more later

Alex ... I will have your by-pass muffler installed in a week or two .... I promise. New house and new baby just gobble up all my time in the last couple months. Joe and I will run TH together on 6/20. We will record each other with your muffler by-pass. It's going to sound AWESOME!!!

Mike

Other vacuum hose routing option .... too complex. Note the check valve with the white stripe to help maintain the vacuum?

This set up require more routing of the vacuum hose from the other side of the engine bay

Last edited by mikymu; 06-02-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:51 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikymu
Joe

Excellent job and thanks for sharing a simple to follow DIY so we can all enjoy Alex's muffler by-pass at Laguna. More rep points for ya

I am glad you pointed me to this solution. As you know I am the one with OEM muffler and blow the Laguna sound barrier with sports button OFF at 95+ db .... I took couple pictures below of another very complicated vacuum hose mod that does the same as your mod but require a trip to the dealer and $160+ later. Your route got my vote. Notice how they used some sort of vacuum check valve near the solenoid? I may add a similar valve on my setup. Will post more later

Alex ... I will have your by-pass muffler installed in a week or two .... I promise. New house and new baby just gobble up all my time in the last couple months. Joe and I will run TH together on 6/20. We will record each other with your muffler by-pass. It's going to sound AWESOME!!!

Mike

Other vacuum hose routing option .... too complex. Note the check valve with the white stripe to help maintain the vacuum?

This set up require more routing of the vacuum hose from the other side of the engine bay

Heheh congrats on the new house/baby. Many sleepless nights eh? When you get around to it... hope you like it

Old 06-02-2009, 12:13 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Heheh congrats on the new house/baby. Many sleepless nights eh? When you get around to it... hope you like it
It's more like sleepless "weeks" lol. Will post result of your muffler by-pass soon

Mike

Old 06-02-2009, 11:45 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Joe

Mike

see you there mike. i am hoping i can make it to the wedding afterwards.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:15 AM
codycarrera is on a distinguished road
where exactly is the sound barrier at Laguna Seca? is it next to the bridge between turn 5 and 6? anywhere else? will lifting work?

tia

Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by speedoflight
see you there mike. i am hoping i can make it to the wedding afterwards.
You are so fast now days. I am sure you can make it to your cousin's wedding in time. People might mistaken your GT3 as a wedding gift lol

Originally Posted by codycarrera
where exactly is the sound barrier at Laguna Seca? is it next to the bridge between turn 5 and 6? anywhere else? will lifting work?

tia
It's at turn 5 and lifting works ... which also kills your lap time by couple seconds.

You can see it in my video. It's the sound booth on the right after the "BOSCH" yellow banner right after turn 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl94NKIQp90

Old 06-03-2009, 10:10 PM
kubrick is on a distinguished road
so lift works huh? I've been trying to figure out what to do for the upcoming POC event in Aug. Starting to think "lift" might just be the best option at this point instead of having something fabricated and running stock not really an option (C2S w/ GT3 center exhaust, so basically I'd be buying a stock GT3 exhaust which won't pass either). I've got fabspeed cats/exhaust, haven't done a dec. reading yet but the car is LOUD!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:34 PM
It's more like sleepless "weeks" lol. Will post result of your muffler by-pass soon

Mike
Hey Mike I hear you... Hang in there

Hope you do like it!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:17 AM
codycarrera is on a distinguished road
It's at turn 5 and lifting works ... which also kills your lap time by couple seconds.

You can see it in my video. It's the sound booth on the right after the "BOSCH" yellow banner right after turn 5.

Thanks, looks like lifting and upshifting should do.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by kubrick
so lift works huh? I've been trying to figure out what to do for the upcoming POC event in Aug. Starting to think "lift" might just be the best option at this point instead of having something fabricated and running stock not really an option (C2S w/ GT3 center exhaust, so basically I'd be buying a stock GT3 exhaust which won't pass either). I've got fabspeed cats/exhaust, haven't done a dec. reading yet but the car is LOUD!
Wow, your car is going to be loud. Yes, lifting at turn 5 is the easiest option to pass the sound limit but you may get caught if you slow down too much and make it too obvious. It is most unsatisfying to lift at turn 5. It's kind of like asking you to stop running after 25 meters in a 100 meter dash .... ruins everything

Hey Mike I hear you... Hang in there

Hope you do like it!
Thanks, center muffler by-pass will be on this weekend. Finally taught my kid to change her own diapers lol

Thanks, looks like lifting and upshifting should do.
lift will do but not up shift since you will raise your RPM and that might increase your exhaust noise As you can see from above video. Joe and I had to grandpa through turn 5 around 4000 RPM 3rd gear

Old 06-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks, center muffler by-pass will be on this weekend. Finally taught my kid to change her own diapers lol
LOL... I swear my eyes are hurting this morning and I rear "change her own calipers".....

Old 06-04-2009, 03:55 PM
lawjdc is on a distinguished road

tia
There are at least 2 very frustrating problems with "lifting" to beat the sound meter. The first is that you will be passed by all the boxters and everything else that is on the track, because if you lift coming out of 5, or shortshift to 4th gear coming out of 5, you will be slow through turn 6 and all the way up the hill. You will lose more than just a couple of seconds. Then you pass all those cars on the rest of the track, only to repeat the process the next lap. You will not be popular out there, I assure you, and you will be working hard.

Second, they can and will move the sound meter on occasion, particularly if they believe that a lot of cars are doing what you suggest and are substantially louder on the rest of the track.

Just my $.02 - do the mod and enjoy the weekend. POC does a wonderful job of putting on a fun event in August at Laguna Seca.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:32 PM
LOL... I swear my eyes are hurting this morning and I rear "change her own calipers".....
LOL ... I am working on my son first when it comes to car repair

Originally Posted by lawjdc
There are at least 2 very frustrating problems with "lifting" to beat the sound meter. The first is that you will be passed by all the boxters and everything else that is on the track, because if you lift coming out of 5, or shortshift to 4th gear coming out of 5, you will be slow through turn 6 and all the way up the hill. You will lose more than just a couple of seconds. Then you pass all those cars on the rest of the track, only to repeat the process the next lap. You will not be popular out there, I assure you, and you will be working hard.

Second, they can and will move the sound meter on occasion, particularly if they believe that a lot of cars are doing what you suggest and are substantially louder on the rest of the track.

Just my $.02 - do the mod and enjoy the weekend. POC does a wonderful job of putting on a fun event in August at Laguna Seca.
Couldn't agree more

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 7gt3 laguna seca mod