GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

another GT2 vs GTR test...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:56 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Is this the system that makes the transmissions fail when driven too hard for too long?

I have been to the track a number of times, and every time GTR's are there, one goes home with a transmission problem. The last one to go, the owner had someone deliver his 997GT3 to the track to finish the day off!

When they work, my god they are fast, but I prefer to do the entire day, not just the first half.
I was there that day...
2 GTRs showed and one made it the whole day and was damn fast
the other had tranny failure and left on flatbed at mid day...

How does this car have tranny failure -- it is automatic everything, the proverbial point and shoot etc -- is this tranny stuff just a software issue?

Also is it true that GTR oil changes are ridiculously expensive?

How is the warranty support for a tracked GTR? I have read/heard that warranty support is an issue if you track the car, if you use launch control, if you don't do this and do that... interested to hear what owners on 6speed have been through...

Old 06-08-2009, 06:05 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PJS
I was there that day...
2 GTRs showed and one made it the whole day and was damn fast
the other had tranny failure and left on flatbed at mid day...

How does this car have tranny failure -- it is automatic everything, the proverbial point and shoot etc -- is this tranny stuff just a software issue?

Also is it true that GTR oil changes are ridiculously expensive?

How is the warranty support for a tracked GTR? I have read/heard that warranty support is an issue if you track the car, if you use launch control, if you don't do this and do that... interested to hear what owners on 6speed have been through...
PJ, the funniest part of this story was on the way home the flat deck that was carrying the car was broken down on the side of the road with the GTR still on the deck. I think what ever the GTR had was contagous

Old 06-08-2009, 06:12 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
PJ, the funniest part of this story was on the way home the flat deck that was carrying the car was broken down on the side of the road with the GTR still on the deck. I think what ever the GTR had was contagous
Really!!!!
unreal...

Can Nissan void your GTR warranty if the tow truck breaks down while giving the GTR a ride?

So can you put a flat bed with a GTR on it -- on another flatbed

I could go on and on...

But I do have to give credit where credit is due -- the black GTR there that day was smoking fast

Old 06-08-2009, 06:42 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Oh no you didn't That just doesn't make sense.

What about weight? Refinement? Fit/finish? Dealer service? A recent statistic stated 70% of GT3s are tracked. There is a very good reason for that.

The Spec-V's price blows both your statements out of the water.

People said the same thing about the Z-06. It has it's place, it's amazing, but it didn't put Porsche or Ferrari in the red...
Well said, everyone claims to have one upped Porsche every few years and every time people keep buying a tracking more and more Porsches. The majority of people at the track want a low maintenance, high feedback vehicle, and the GT-R is none of the above.

And don't mention if you mod one, the modded ones can barely make a few laps before something goes wrong, only a few LESS laps than the stock one though so I guess it's all relative.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 PM
monaroCountry will become famous soon enough

Watch out it could have been swine flu, a very appropriate name in this case .

Old 06-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
Transmission is OK if the owners follow what it says in the manual regarding VDC:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
DAMAGE, FAILURES OR CORROSION DUE TO
ACCIDENTS, MISUSE OR ALTERATIONS
This warranty does not cover damage, failures or corrosion
resulting from:

Accident, theft, fire, driving through water (including engine water ingestion) or misuse, which includes, but is not limited to, operation in violation of any applicable law and racing of any sort whatsoever (Proper use is outlined in your OWNER’S MANUAL).

Alteration, tampering or improper repair, including but not limited to adding/replacing chips, reprogramming, or attempting to reprogram, alter, or disconnect any computer or control unit.

Operating the vehicle with the Vehicle Dynamic Control
(VDC) off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow (see GT-R Owner's Manual).

Installation of non-Nissan approved accessories or components.

Improper installation of any Nissan approved or aftermarket accessory or component.

Glass breakage, unless resulting from defects in material or workmanship.

Normal wear and tear, including dings, dents, chips or
scratches.

COVERAGE

Roadside Assistance is provided for all Nissan GT-R

vehicles from the date the vehicle is delivered to the
fi rst retail buyer or otherwise put into use, whichever
is earlier, for a period of 60 months, 60,000 miles.
Roadside Assistance is available to anyone operating
the Nissan GT-R vehicle with the authorization of the
owner. (For purpose of Roadside Assistance benefi ts,
“owner” includes the lessee of a leased vehicle.) These
services are transferable with the resale of the vehicle for
the time remaining on the original Nissan New Vehicle
Limited Warranty coverage period. Roadside Assistance
is available throughout the lower 48 States and Hawaii.

Last edited by Bill S; 06-08-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:19 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
Watch out it could have been swine flu, a very appropriate name in this case .
Good thing I was three lanes over travelling at 65 mph when I went by it. I haven't been on the track since, but my brakes are toast! Perhaps I can claim this under the Nissan warranty

Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 PM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
The GTR looks to me like a 2009 version of the old Volks Scirroco...

Old 06-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by PJS
Really!!!!
unreal...

Can Nissan void your GTR warranty if the tow truck breaks down while giving the GTR a ride?

So can you put a flat bed with a GTR on it -- on another flatbed

I could go on and on...

But I do have to give credit where credit is due -- the black GTR there that day was smoking fast
I agree the only cars that I found that were going almost as fast were the ACR, Randolf in his 997GT3, and you. That was a very fast run group, a ton of fun!

BTW are you going to Oregon in August? I am signed up.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bill S
Transmission is OK if the owners follow what it says in the manual regarding VDC:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
DAMAGE, FAILURES OR CORROSION DUE TO
ACCIDENTS, MISUSE OR ALTERATIONS
This warranty does not cover damage, failures or corrosion
resulting from:

Accident, theft, fire, driving through water (including engine water ingestion) or misuse, which includes, but is not limited to, operation in violation of any applicable law and racing of any sort whatsoever (Proper use is outlined in your OWNER’S MANUAL).

Alteration, tampering or improper repair, including but not limited to adding/replacing chips, reprogramming, or attempting to reprogram, alter, or disconnect any computer or control unit.

Operating the vehicle with the Vehicle Dynamic Control
(VDC) off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow (see GT-R Owner's Manual).

Installation of non-Nissan approved accessories or components.

Improper installation of any Nissan approved or aftermarket accessory or component.

Glass breakage, unless resulting from defects in material or workmanship.

Normal wear and tear, including dings, dents, chips or
scratches.

COVERAGE

Roadside Assistance is provided for all Nissan GT-R

vehicles from the date the vehicle is delivered to the
fi rst retail buyer or otherwise put into use, whichever
is earlier, for a period of 60 months, 60,000 miles.
Roadside Assistance is available to anyone operating
the Nissan GT-R vehicle with the authorization of the
owner. (For purpose of Roadside Assistance benefi ts,
“owner” includes the lessee of a leased vehicle.) These
services are transferable with the resale of the vehicle for
the time remaining on the original Nissan New Vehicle
Limited Warranty coverage period. Roadside Assistance
is available throughout the lower 48 States and Hawaii.

This isn't all, there is no mention of the no-dyno rule. Interesting how Nissan still won't allow the VDC to be turned off, that is rediculous.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
This isn't all, there is no mention of the no-dyno rule. Interesting how Nissan still won't allow the VDC to be turned off, that is rediculous.
They gave the user too much freedom in my opinion. You can't turn it completely off in a GT3 RS. And there are no-dyno rules in the Porsche manuals.

The GT-R is much more complex than a GT3 or GT3 RS. I'm amazed that it's so reliable for an all-new car. My GT3 RS already has a broken fuel level gauge, tire pressure sensor, and passenger airbag sensor. The wing mechanism on my CGT failed and the front brake pads cracked. The GT-R is pretty darn reliable, very fast and very safe. Many of my friends own one, and I have to work pretty hard in a CGT or GT3 RS to keep up.

The next generation models will be even better. I'm just trying to address all the BS I here about the GT-R.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 PM
GT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really niceGT3Techno is just really nice
They gave the user too much freedom in my opinion. You can't turn it completely off in a GT3 RS. And there are no-dyno rules in the Porsche manuals.
That's wrong. You can turn ALL electronic assistance OFF in a GT3 or RS.

The GT-R is much more complex than a GT3 or GT3 RS. I'm amazed that it's so reliable for an all-new car. My GT3 RS already has a broken fuel level gauge, tire pressure sensor, and passenger airbag sensor. The wing mechanism on my CGT failed and the front brake pads cracked.
For me, if you track your car tire pressure sensors are a pain in the *** anyway (I turned them off because they always go crazy if you play with tire pressure when tracking your car) and passenger airbag sensor is also useless if you change your seats for real race seats... Comparing a GTR to a GT3 is like comparing an SUV to a sport sedan.

The GT-R is pretty darn reliable, very fast and very safe. Many of my friends own one, and I have to work pretty hard in a CGT or GT3 RS to keep up.
Are you racing with your friends on the streets or on tracks ?

Last edited by GT3Techno; 06-08-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by GT3Techno
That's wrong. You can turn ALL electronic assistance OFF in a GT3 or RS.

Are you racing with your friends on the streets or on tracks ?

You're right. You can turn TC off in the GT3 RS. The GT3 RS does not have something like the GT-R's VDC. Regardless, the GT-R is still very fast with the VDC in R-mode, and there's no good reason to turn it off except for the conditions mentioned in the manual.

We're racing on tracks and runways.

Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2009, 10:29 PM
PJS
I agree the only cars that I found that were going almost as fast were the ACR, Randolf in his 997GT3, and you. That was a very fast run group, a ton of fun!

BTW are you going to Oregon in August? I am signed up.
I can attest to the fact that the GTR was beating me... the black one at least. I did not stand a chance... Damn him he is a good driver.... I never got a chance to chat with him... hat is off to him... one of the fastest street legal cars I have come across there...

The ACR and I were close to each other depending on traffic... I got the point by a couple of times but I think he was sick of my yellow headlights and once by I could not leave him behind... I love the ACR... I would really like to try one...

Randolf repeatedly beats me... I like to chalk it up to experience and michelin slicks

I am signed up for the August PIR/ORP days... need to get trailer
I was looking today at Featherlite opens and enclosed... not cheap... either... got a lead on a rental featherlite open and need to call on it tomorrow and book it if it will work.

back on topic -- why won't nissan allow you to turn off VDC and keep your warranty? So if you are at the track and you turn it off AND you have a problem (say a malfunctioned tranny), they can use the VDC off as a reason to void the warranty? Really?

How much is a dealer oil change on a GTR? I have heard some crazy numbers... owner please verify.... I do not need a scanned invoice or anything, but please tell me it is not more than a couple hundred $...

Old 06-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by PJS
back on topic -- why won't nissan allow you to turn off VDC and keep your warranty? So if you are at the track and you turn it off AND you have a problem (say a malfunctioned tranny), they can use the VDC off as a reason to void the warranty? Really?

Yes. The owner and warranty manuals are very clear on when to turn off VDC. Use R-mode for the track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: another GT2 vs GTR test...