GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Voltphreaks 5.5 lbs lithium-ion nano battery

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:37 PM
spyderman is a name known to allspyderman is a name known to allspyderman is a name known to allspyderman is a name known to allspyderman is a name known to allspyderman is a name known to all
What a great post. Thanks for the information and excellent pictures. Rep points for you!!!

Old 02-27-2010, 03:06 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spyderman
What a great post. Thanks for the information and excellent pictures. Rep points for you!!!
Thanks spyder

Old 02-27-2010, 03:38 PM
RS4-Brian will become famous soon enoughRS4-Brian will become famous soon enough
Great post...if you want to make it almost look factoryish spray paint your bracket black.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Great post. Please keep the updates coming.
I swapped to a 21 lb Braille a few months back and have not been satisfied. I found that it didn't hold a charge (when I let the car sit) as long as I had hoped, and the cold cranking power seemed to be less that I had hoped. After it went dead the second time, I reached out to the Braille people and they were not at all responsive..
I just swapped to an Odyssey model (along with a really nice bracket) and so far it has worked well.
I may put the Braille in my Ford GT, since it is on a charger almost all the time and it has a relatively heavy battery in the frontmost part of the car - right behind the grill.
The Li designs are very cool, but a little too pricey for me. But I couldn't recommend Braille to anyone at this point. Quite disappointing actually.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:04 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I dealt with a Braille battery and if you can't understand what I'm saying it's because I'm removing my foot from my mouth from my earlier comments in this thread.

Braille sucks!!! Period. It doesn't know when it wants to start and when it doesn't. My old PC680 (which somehow mysteriously disappeared) was tons better for the same weight and even it was somewhat of a PITB.

I drove 40 minutes to downtown Atlanta this morning after keeping it on the charge all night, I got out of the car, pumped some gas, went to the ATM (about 4-5 minutes tops), come back to car, won't start. Get it jumped later after several tries, pull out of the gas station (about 50yds) and stall in the middle of one of the busiest downtown streets, wont start.

Sitting their with another car on the cables and it still WONT FREAKING START!!! Cops comes up and reminds me that I didn't put my new tag on the car, and I also realize I haven't received my newest insurance card yet. (All while my car, a buddy's car and the cop car are taking up the middle two of 4 lanes with hoods up, lights flashing and all kinds of mess). Causing a traffic Jam with my Porsche.

Went to the drag strip about another 1.5 hours away, get out and shoot the breeze for a while (bout an hour), car starts (WTH!!!!). Sometimes between resting runs the car starts sometimes it doesn't. Went to Wendy's, wont start, went to Shell, won't start.

Braille, I hate you!!!! I'm going back to Odyssey, it's a pain somewhat, but Braille is a complete failure. FAIL FAIL FAIL.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:45 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I dealt with a Braille battery and if you can't understand what I'm saying it's because I'm removing my foot from my mouth from my earlier comments in this thread.

Braille sucks!!! Period. It doesn't know when it wants to start and when it doesn't. My old PC680 (which somehow mysteriously disappeared) was tons better for the same weight and even it was somewhat of a PITB.

I drove 40 minutes to downtown Atlanta this morning after keeping it on the charge all night, I got out of the car, pumped some gas, went to the ATM (about 4-5 minutes tops), come back to car, won't start. Get it jumped later after several tries, pull out of the gas station (about 50yds) and stall in the middle of one of the busiest downtown streets, wont start.

Sitting their with another car on the cables and it still WONT FREAKING START!!! Cops comes up and reminds me that I didn't put my new tag on the car, and I also realize I haven't received my newest insurance card yet. (All while my car, a buddy's car and the cop car are taking up the middle two of 4 lanes with hoods up, lights flashing and all kinds of mess). Causing a traffic Jam with my Porsche.

Went to the drag strip about another 1.5 hours away, get out and shoot the breeze for a while (bout an hour), car starts (WTH!!!!). Sometimes between resting runs the car starts sometimes it doesn't. Went to Wendy's, wont start, went to Shell, won't start.

Braille, I hate you!!!! I'm going back to Odyssey, it's a pain somewhat, but Braille is a complete failure. FAIL FAIL FAIL.
WOW, that is awful. I got a Braille but decided to return it and got the Voltphreak Li-ion instead due to stories like yours. I had regular lead acid light weight battery for my M3 and had similar headache. I much rather spend more money and have a piece of mind. Hope you have better luck with Odyssey

Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Another great post of yours mate.... my car has just entered the workshop... unfortunately some clutch or gearbox issue (yet to hear back from my mechs) that occurred on my Saturday track day that resulted in the car having to be towed 400km back to Singapore.

Am now accelerating my RS upgrade project and will be using many of your posts as inspiration!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:03 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikymu
WOW, that is awful. I got a Braille but decided to return it and got the Voltphreak Li-ion instead due to stories like yours. I had regular lead acid light weight battery for my M3 and had similar headache. I much rather spend more money and have a piece of mind. Hope you have better luck with Odyssey
I still can't see myself putting $1300 into a battery. I'd almost rather have the weight in the car and take it out somewhere else and buy more mods for something else.

Maybe Voltphreak will come down to something reasonable in the future.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:12 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
I used PC680 in my M3's but am hesitant to use in the GT2. I can see where I come in off the track/street shut down and then the engine compartment fan comes on and drains the battery. The $1200+ alternative is a little more than I want to spend on a battery.

Peter

Old 02-28-2010, 12:28 PM
The PC680 is ok all day once you get it going and don't leave any doors open or systems running while it's off. Can just be a pain for that first cold start on track days when you didn't have it hooked up to power.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
i hope it works out for you but if i got stranded once, it would negate any pleasure i got from a lighter car.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Wow, there are alot of fear and concerns about these Li-ion battery. It's worth the price for me since I get to shave 39 lbs and it has many build in safety and convenience features unlike an off the shelve brainless battery. I am done messing with conventional light weight battery. They don't last long and no way to prevent them from total discharge. I don't want to start carrying jumper cable again

Originally Posted by Harold
Another great post of yours mate.... my car has just entered the workshop... unfortunately some clutch or gearbox issue (yet to hear back from my mechs) that occurred on my Saturday track day that resulted in the car having to be towed 400km back to Singapore.

Am now accelerating my RS upgrade project and will be using many of your posts as inspiration!!!
Hey Harold, sorry to hear about your trouble. It must been a PITA towing your RS for 400km! Now is the time to get all the mods in before your next event. Rebuild the LSD if they have to remove the transmission

Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 AM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=mikymu;2746134]Wow, there are alot of fear and concerns about these Li-ion battery. It's worth the price for me since I get to shave 39 lbs and it has many build in safety and convenience features unlike an off the shelve brainless battery. I am done messing with conventional light weight battery. They don't last long and no way to prevent them from total discharge. I don't want to start carrying jumper cable again

In my case the $1200+ would be better spent on instruction and track time as loosing 39#'s is the least of my problems.

Peter

Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Peter, why would you pay for instruction when you have a guy as talented as Ian around you all the time? At least start there first.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Peter, why would you pay for instruction when you have a guy as talented as Ian around you all the time? At least start there first.
Oh he is my Instructor, I have to pay him with track time in the cars. He does tend to use rear tires up so that is an expense.

Peter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Voltphreaks 5.5 lbs lithium-ion nano battery