GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997 gt2 or 997 gt3 mkII - need to make a choice. Please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Jerzy Poland will become famous soon enough
997 gt2 or 997 gt3 mkII - need to make a choice. Please help

Hello there!
My name is Jerzy and i write to you from Poland. I've just signed in to look for a tip from you. I need to make a quick decision and reading your forum I see lot of know how and experience.

In next few days I have to decide:

to buy a 997 gt2 from my friend (he is now into competition, drives Ferrari)
or to order brand new gen II 997 gt3.

80 % of car use would be on a track or special events (sometimes on track sometimes on the airfields) organized by Porsche Clubs.
Mileage of the gt2 is like 3000. Perfect condition. Additional two sets of wheels in a package. All that at price comparable or slightly lower to new gt3.
There is a little chance that I will meet any of you in person (I visit US from time to time but only on biz or vacations, not for track days) but would very much appreciate your comments to this.
I will buy a car for a two years period as I expect that later on I will switch to either mkII rs or something brand new. You never know.
My heart goes somehow for gt3 for its precision but comparing the performance I see that with gt2 I have even better chances to get good lap times. I have seen some comments that gt2 in terms of precision is not that far from the gt3.
Looking forward to hearing from you
Cheers
Jerzy

Old 03-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Despite the GT2's exclusivity and staggering MSRP, running the mile at the airfield is about the only situation i would choose a GT2 over a GT3.

the GT3 is the more fun and involving car with an intoxicating soundtrack you could never achieve in a GT2.

just depends on your priorities but if you prefer total driving experience over sheer speed, GT3 is the only choice.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
if the GT2 is cheaper than the GT3, then I don't see any reason not to pick the GT2 in your situation.

if both cost brand new, then GT3 all the way.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:42 PM
SpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond repute
GT2 all the way .. after all its the big brother , and the market value is better since it's initial price has dropped already being a second hand (in case u want to sell it in the future u won't lose as much as buying brand new car of the dealer)
More over there are wide open mods, if u care in the future, unlike the restriction on the GT3 ..
Both great cars though

Last edited by SpunkyQ8; 03-28-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Thansk for your comments.
Yesterday I was there at my friends'. Drove the gt2, gt3rs and for the fun of it also had a short spin around town with F430 and LGallardo :-)

Decided to take the gt2! Will be delivered tomorrow morning to my doorstep. O yeah!

997 rs is a great car but a bit too raw for me. Sure it's great for the race track, once you learn how to control it.
Gt2 is wild but this PSM gives a bit of safety feeling about the driving.

Again thank you and will post a short report after some driving.
Cheers
Jerzy

Old 04-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Szpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jerzy Poland
Thansk for your comments.
Yesterday I was there at my friends'. Drove the gt2, gt3rs and for the fun of it also had a short spin around town with F430 and LGallardo :-)

Decided to take the gt2! Will be delivered tomorrow morning to my doorstep. O yeah!

997 rs is a great car but a bit too raw for me. Sure it's great for the race track, once you learn how to control it.
Gt2 is wild but this PSM gives a bit of safety feeling about the driving.

Again thank you and will post a short report after some driving.
Cheers
Jerzy
Gratuluje!! Piekne auto i dobry wybor

Old 04-02-2010, 02:36 PM
SpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond reputeSpunkyQ8 has a reputation beyond repute
Be safe and take car .. many many many people have crashed in gt2's here in kuwait. They simply span out of control due to traction control, i think the turbo spool along with the weight is just kinda tricky to control ..

Last edited by SpunkyQ8; 04-02-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by SpunkyQ8
Be safe and take car .. many many many people have crashed in gt2's here in kuwait. They simply span out of control due to traction control, i think the turbo spool along with the weight is just kinda tricky to control ..
now you tell him

Old 04-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Hey, thanks for reassuring me now :-)

Decision is made. I will make sure to enjoy it. On the race track it was actually quite predictable (tried it last year but with moderate pace as it was still friend's car).
Yesterday on the public road after few hours driving nice and comfy A6 before I really felt how rough and wild it can be.
So, now I feel sort of shivering in anticipation how it is going to be to try and take full control of this beast.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:27 PM
fun2k is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SpunkyQ8

Dont the 997 gt2s have both stability and traction control?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:40 PM
they do have both.
After driving it in the town I have to say, it helps you but if you overdo it I'm afraid it may not save your ***. I do not know, I have too much respect to push it. :-)
Just one picture from my mobile:

Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2010, 01:43 PM
I got to say Wow Bro !! congrats on this beast ! its got the character in it ! love the color .. post some pics of the interior pls

Old 04-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Johnny2 is on a distinguished road
I am working with a dealer to purchase new GT3. What differentiates MK1 vs MK2. Does the date of mfr identify whether ver 1 or ver 2 ?

Old 04-03-2010, 06:38 PM
TheCreditMan has a spectacular aura aboutTheCreditMan has a spectacular aura aboutTheCreditMan has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Jerzy Poland
they do have both.
After driving it in the town I have to say, it helps you but if you overdo it I'm afraid it may not save your ***. I do not know, I have too much respect to push it. :-)
Just one picture from my mobile:
Gratulacje! Uwazaj na ten samochod, moze czasami byc nieobliczalny.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Z06
Z06 is on a distinguished road
You will love the GT2! It's a fantastic track car, stupid fast!

When on the track just be very very smooth on the throttle!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 gt2 or 997 gt3 mkII - need to make a choice. Please help