6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   GT3/GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gt3-gt2-12/)
-   -   Snow (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gt3-gt2/229741-snow.html)

Mr. B 11-23-2010 02:00 PM

Snow

So I have to go up to PA for Thanksgiving and they expect snow.
My GT3 has Pirelli's.
How do these babies do in snow?
Mr. B

LPpfs997 11-23-2010 02:22 PM

Snow w/o Snow Tires

Any summer tire will have be a disadvantage due to a) how the rubber reacts w/ cold (summers get real stiff), and b) the tread depth on your tires. Add to the hazard if you have little experience with the car in snow (new to you GT3 ?) and it gets worst if you have little experience of driving in the snow.

That said the storm will probably be more hype then real accumulation.

In early snow season I try and find a smooth parking lot w/ at least a 1/2" of snow atop to practice the push and slide (as well as spin) technique; but my ride has great snows, all wheel drive and I tend to put 8,000 miles in the bad weather (3 different vehicles). Practice will help.

Great Holiday weekend to you and enjoy the Snow !

markar 11-23-2010 02:28 PM

I have pirelli P zeros to they don't work very well on snow ....

LUISGT3 11-23-2010 02:40 PM

Drive something else and if it's your only car rent one.

bbywu 11-23-2010 02:59 PM

3 issues I see.

Cold = very hard tire compound. Scary on any surface.

Ground clearance = snow plow effect.

RWD with rear engine = extreme rear bias.

Should make for an entertaining drive.

Wayne K 11-23-2010 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by LUISGT3 (Post 3048429)
Drive something else and if it's your only car rent one.

+1. Unless you install winter tires you are a Kamikaze Pilot if you run into accumulating snow.

Mr. B 11-23-2010 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wayne K (Post 3048477)
+1. Unless you install winter tires you are a Kamikaze Pilot if you run into accumulating snow.

Thanks everybody.

Here's what the National Weather Service says:
"Thanksgiving Day: A chance of freezing rain and sleet before noon, then rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 38. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Thursday Night: Rain likely before 2am, then rain and snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 38. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible."

It's true that the GT3 is new to me, but I have over 1,000 hours at the skid pad and I do a lot of instructing there and on the track.

The GT3 isn't my only car, it's just that it's SOOO much fun to drive!!

Further thoughts??
TIA,
Mr. B

996TTFred 11-23-2010 04:21 PM

How good are the other drivers you are going to encounter in the sleet and snow? A rental car with coverage or the DD would be a lot less stress.

Steamboat 11-23-2010 04:34 PM

Sleet and slush are worse than packed snow. I encountered about 3 inches of the stuff a few weeks ago going across Rabbit Ears pass and it was one of the scariest - trickiest crossings I have ever made. This was on RE-11's and an awd 911 turbo. When they say, "not intended for freezing temps, ice and snow, they are not BS'ing! Summer tires suck in those situations. Just my 2 cents. Have a great Thanksgving. May it be an uneventful one!

Mr. B 11-23-2010 04:45 PM

Hmmm

Originally Posted by Steamboat (Post 3048531)
Sleet and slush are worse than packed snow. I encountered about 3 inches of the stuff a few weeks ago going across Rabbit Ears pass and it was one of the scariest - trickiest crossings I have ever made. This was on RE-11's and an awd 911 turbo. When they say, "not intended for freezing temps, ice and snow, they are not BS'ing! Summer tires suck in those situations. Just my 2 cents. Have a great Thanksgving. May it be an uneventful one!

Hmmm, maybe we'll take the wife's 328xi.
Mr. B

Mini George 11-23-2010 04:49 PM

If there is just snow, go for it. If there is anything else on the road, don't go for it.

Mr. B 11-23-2010 05:19 PM

Oppty

Originally Posted by Mini George (Post 3048543)
If there is just snow, go for it. If there is anything else on the road, don't go for it.

Well, I do look for every opportunity to drive this thing, but if the weather is going to make it risky, I'll take the wife's AWD BMW.
Mr. B

TRAKCAR 11-23-2010 05:27 PM

Intercity Lines.
Florida.

LPpfs997 11-23-2010 05:44 PM

T'Giving & Snow

Your skill can offset a small snow squall, so I'd say 'go for it and enjoy'. But the tire hardness issue has to be respected. Give yourself some distance, because it's the braking that'll kill, and just pull over if it gets deeper then 'a bit'.

I know people that just love to throw the rear wheel cars around in the snow. There a lot less tire wear . . .

I'm head'in north with mine in an hour; I'll definitively see snow.

KK Moto 11-23-2010 06:23 PM

I'm the biggest proponent of driving a 911 in the snow.... WITH snow tires.

Short of that, any chance of freezing precip? Don't do it. Really.

Other drivers?..... Imagine that we were breaking up. It's not you, it's me!

Rental.